PDA

View Full Version : A close shave!

NickMorgan
02-27-2007, 03:56 PM
On Sunday I finished putting my TR3 back together after taking out the radiator to have it re-soldered. I am ashamed to say that I started this job three months ago, but usually the weather in Scotland is too bad to use the TR at this time of year.
Yesterday as I drove home from work I noticed that the roads were dry and after all of the rain we've had recently the salt had been washed away.
When I got home I went straight into the garage and started up the TR (eventually). It wasn't too happy after sitting all that time. I decided to drive it to the next village to get some petrol, but three miles into the journey I spotted some orange flashing lights coming towards me - The Gritting Lorry! I tried to do a three-point turn in a farm track, but the engine stalled and it took some time to get it re-started. I just managed to get away in front of the gritting lorry, but then spotted another one coming down a side road. Luckily I managed to get home without getting the car covered in salt, and just as I drove into the garage a third gritting lorry drove past the house. It was like something out of a horror movie! Call me sad, but I hate the idea of getting the car covered in salt!
At least that is the first time in 16 years that I have driven the TR in February!

Tinkerman
02-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Judging from all the fun you had it would be my last!

Cheers, Tinkerman

Geo Hahn
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Quite a mental picture that... funny too once it turned out okay.

Being from the desert I did have to ponder a bit before I puzzled out what a Gritting Lorry was all about.

martx-5
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
OK, I give up. What is a gritting lorry? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Is that some kind of a salting truck??

Don Elliott
02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Nick - Did you have your front valance on ? Or is it still sitting in the window in your garage ?

Don

NickMorgan
02-27-2007, 06:48 PM
The TR is all back together, valance, bumper, lights, etc all ligned up and plenty of Waxoyl.
Yes, a gritting lorry is a salt truck. They mix the salt with a little grit so that it chips the paint and lets the salt get a good hold on the metal!

Brosky
02-27-2007, 07:10 PM
That's like one of those nightmares where someone is coming after you and you can't get your legs to move.

Don Elliott
02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
And 3 of these gritter demons were after Nick !!! That must be a REAL nightmare.

myspitfire
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Our 'Gritting Lorries'(salt trucks)YOU'VE NEVER seen the like over their! Ours are tripple axel double tonners with GIANT snow plows in front to combat 48"of snowfall.,they take out mailboxes,dogs,& low flying birds,You just don't want to get in THERE way.AND i would hate to see an LBC get in there way.THATS what we've had to contend with here in the last 3 weeks here in the midwest USA. Erin-go-brau to ye!mate
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

drooartz
02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I pictured this with the Benny Hill soundtrack playing in the background... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Glad to hear you survived you brush with the salt demons. At least you got a bit of a drive in, even if it was a bit of a panic run.

bobh
02-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I think Ride of the Valkaries would be appropriate background music.

Simon TR4a
02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
They also throw up lumps of "stuff" which can crack the windshield of your wife's Nissan when she drives by in yhe opposite direction!
Simon.

NickMorgan
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I am sure they are sponsored by the car manufacturers!

Telly
03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey Nick,
If I come over to the Scotland, could I rent a roadster through the rental car companies? I saw an new MG when I was in Italy recently.

Terry