PDA

View Full Version : Vredestein spare.

02-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Since I am running Michelin Hydroedge 205/70R15 tires and I have an aluminum fuel tank which is larger than stock, I cannot fit a similar sized spare tire into the hole without beating it in and cursing loudly trying to get it out. Woe is me if I were ever to have a flat tire.
I had mounted a similar size tire but cheaper than the Michelin.

Finally, I bought a 185 series Vredestein from Coker Tire. Slid into the hole without a problem. Not cheap.

Nobody, not even Tire Rack, could find this size tire. Needed the narrowest tire I could get (which happened to be OE sized. Had no choice but to pay the piper. The diameters are almost identical, the Vred being about 1/4" taller. It'll do for a spare.

Are there any donut spares out there that would work on the TR6? I think a Grenada wheel fits but they didn't use donuts back then.

TR4
02-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, for my TR4, I have a 13" Spitfire wire wheel that I use as my spare. Fits fine on the car and of coarse quite easily in the trunk. Sortof kindof a Donut!!!

Twosheds
02-20-2007, 10:53 AM
If you have a Vredestein spare, why do you want a doughnut?

Doughnut spare, that is.

Or are you doing research?

AlanT
02-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Which 185 tyre did you get? 185HR-15 or the 185/70HR-15? I'm supposed to be getting a set of 185/70-15's this week. Vredestein also lists a 165HR-15.

Alan T.

swift6
02-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Well, for my TR4, I have a 13" Spitfire wire wheel that I use as my spare. Fits fine on the car and of coarse quite easily in the trunk. Sortof kindof a Donut!!!

How did you get a Spitfire wheel to fit your TR4? The bolt patterns are wholly different. Or are you using wire wheels?

I don't carry a spare anymore. Mostly because I couldn't get a matching tire to fit in the spare tire well without fouling the cover. I also can't remember the last time I actually needed a spare tire. (I'm knocking on the wooden part of my head now.) The spare tire well now holds some tools, some spares, an emergency roadside kit and blanket, etc... I do carry a can of 'fix-a-flat'. But have yet to need it. I also carry AAA Plus. Used it more on other cars than my LBCs though. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

TR6oldtimer
02-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Where do you put that flat tire that was to large to fit into the trunk when you change out the spare?

I suppose it just gets tossed in the trunk with the lid partially open, or behind the seats if you do not have a roll bar, or on the passenger side when you tell the wife (or whoever) to get out and walk, or perhaps on the luggage rack if you have one. On a trip, heaven help you if you if you have to decide between your tire and rims or the wife's luggage.

Just wondering

Ray

02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I seem to have gotten the 185HR15. Actually a nice looking tire. I would consider shoeing the car all around with these if I were running stock steel wheels. I instead have Panasports.

02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Where do you put that flat tire that was to large to fit into the trunk when you change out the spare?

I suppose it just gets tossed in the trunk with the lid partially open, or behind the seats if you do not have a roll bar, or on the passenger side when you tell the wife (or whoever) to get out and walk, or perhaps on the luggage rack if you have one. On a trip, heaven help you if you if you have to decide between your tire and rims or the wife's luggage.

Just wondering

Ray

Why do you make things so difficult for me? Ya know, I never even though about that. I guess the wife walks.

AlanT
02-20-2007, 01:36 PM
They also list a 205/70VR-15.

Alan T

trfourtune
02-20-2007, 03:37 PM
seems to me that the best spare is a 165/80/15 kumho tire. cheap and small. dohnuts can't run at highway speed. you can use a tr4 rim with is 4.5" wide.
Rob

trfourtune
02-20-2007, 03:40 PM
that's the kumho powerstar 758 $31 at tire rack.
Rob

02-20-2007, 03:58 PM
that's the kumho powerstar 758 $31 at tire rack.
Rob

Why do I always find out about these things after the fact.

Flinkly
02-20-2007, 04:29 PM
at least you tr6 guys find out. i'm in the dark about alot with my gt6, gonna have alot of questions like this one real soon.