PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4/TR4A Oil Pan Bolts

KVH
02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
I carefully replaced the oil pan gasket a few months back, and I see I have leaks at the bolts--each bolt on one side, and a few on the other side, have oil hanging from the hex head.

Can I remove those bolts and put gasket sealer on the bolts, or will that cause a mess?

Note: I suppose its possible that's just where the oil rests, and the leak or leaks could be elsewhere.

TR4nut
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM
You can try, but I'm not sure removing one or more will help you unfortunately - I've read about this problem before on the team.net arena, and I think the problem quite often is small distortion on the pan itself, sometimes caused by overtightening. You might be leaking elsewhere, and it is just finding the low spots.

Sorry, that's not cheery news - if you try and are unsuccessful, and eventually pull the pan to redo the gasket I think a quick check on the pan lip could help a lot.

Randy.

SCguy
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Same issue here. I'm going to pull the pan and use sealer on both sides of the gasket, check the pan and retork carefully. I'm sure it will still leak, but then at least I will know that it was done correctly.

Bruno_69z28
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I've used "McKanica" silicone sealant on all my gaskets. The motor doesn't leak a drop. When I rebuilt the motor, they forgot to send me a pan gasket. I used this sealant, without the gasket, and NO LEAKS!

Bill

Don Elliott
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
If you are using a gasket, you have to put the sealant on one face of the gasket, lay it on the pan, then carefully turn over the pan on a clean flat table top so the weight of the pan presses down on the gasket. Leave it overnight. Then, the next day, apply the sealant to the other side of the gasket and bolt the pan into place.