PDA

View Full Version : what kind of paint(s) should I use

jackag91
02-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Since I have the rear end completely apart on my TR6, I figured I would clean up and paint anything that needs it.

The brake baking plate, lever shocks, springs, diffy and the pivot plates for the rear trailing arms could all use a new coat of paint.

Is there any paint that is better than any others for this kind of thing?

Brosky
02-18-2007, 06:03 PM
If you can get them powder coated, you'll be much better off than with paint. They will look great and it will last forever. The rear shocks will not be able to be done unless you disassemble them, so those can be painted. The heat from the final baking process would ruin the seals.

DougF
02-18-2007, 06:36 PM
As for paints, if you have a compressor; paint gun; and an area to spray, an automotive paint will work very well.
If you are looking at aerosol cans, try a high solids paint such as Eastwood's Chassis Black. If you just want to buy over the counter, Dupli-color is good as is Rustoleum. Stay away from the cheap stuff.
Use a compatible primer.

02-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Since I have the rear end completely apart on my TR6, I figured I would clean up and paint anything that needs it.

The brake baking plate, lever shocks, springs, diffy and the pivot plates for the rear trailing arms could all use a new coat of paint.

Is there any paint that is better than any others for this kind of thing?

I certainly can tell you what kind of paint NOT to use.......

2wrench
02-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Bill, In my humble opinion, I do endorse POR 15. Hope this
isn't the one you'll say not to use.

POR 15 Chassis Black in either Glossy or Semigloss
finishes, when properly applied, dry to a very hard and
durable finish. I painted some wheels with it and the
finish could nearly rival a powder coat finish.

Also, this stuff can be applied with these little cheap
foam brushes that you use once and toss. Painted onto
a clean, properly prepared surface, this material goes on
quite nicely and flows out smooth to create a nice finish.

Less prep; no overspray; excellant finish for under car
painting; rust sealing/preventative coating. If anybody
has a bad experience, it is my guess they did not follow product directions, which could/should apply when painting nearly anything, except with small extra considerations coincidental with this product.
Bulk heads and other under-bonnett's -- I like powder coat.
Dennis.

02-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Bill, In my humble opinion, I do endorse POR 15. Hope this
isn't the one you'll say not to use.

Not at all, Den. POR15 is a good product. I had opted to use a totally different kind of paint for my new floorboards and had problems with that.

Cheapsnake
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
I'll second the POR15 suggestion. I used it on a battery tray and when everything around it was corroding badly the tray looked brand new. It's a PITA to apply but if you're looking for long lasting results it's the ticket.

Tom

YankeeTR
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I'll third the POR-15...tuff as nails, looks nice and last a long time.

To be fair, there are other products similar to POR-15 that also do a good job (Bill Hirsch, RustBullet(so I've heard),Eastwood products, etc)... I did EXACTLY what you are contemplating doing on my last TR3...all the parts looked great after 10 years of daily summer and fall driving.