PDA

View Full Version : I hate the cold!

kodanja
02-16-2007, 07:55 AM
I hate he cold...

What do you do with yourself when your LBC is all ready to go, but it's too cold out to drive due to salt and dirt on the road.

It's even too cold to tinker around in the garage......\\

I hate the cold!!

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/TR.jpg

Mickey Richaud
02-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Agreed! 10 degrees here this morning; it's my day off, and I've got several things to do to the TR8 to get ready for New Orleans next month.

Oh well - maybe next week.

TR4
02-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Start with a piping hot Irish Coffee topped with fresh whipped cream and read your favorite classic car magazine for the 50th time.

DrEntropy
02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
My solution was pack up *everything* and move to Florida! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Only bad bit is we stopped half-way down the state. Central FL is unsaesonably/unreasonably cold right now as well. No road salt tho. Whew.

angelfj1
02-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes, it's cold. But it kills the bugs! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Harry_Ward
02-16-2007, 08:30 AM
I feel your pain this last storm very depressing with rocks and salt thrown everywhere. Next week suppose to be close to forty though.

I spend a lot of time here and read about the woes and Triumphs of others and things don't seem so bad.

BTW-You live anywhere near that brush fire the other day? That looked a little scary.

Aldwyn
02-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Word... My garage is not even heated, so I cant do the break job I want to do on it! (the little space heater I have does little to heat the garage)

Come on Spring!!

DrEntropy
02-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Harry wrote: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]BTW-You live anywhere near that brush fire the other day? That looked a little scary. [/QUOTE]

Sometimes those fires can shut down the Interstates here. We had no effect from that'n though.

YankeeTR
02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
This is the first winter in about 8 years that I've been stuck in Wisconsin. I had been driving for a living but my new job is an 8 to 4 deal...and I can even tolerate the cold 'cuz I'm home every night.

I had been running south and southeast all year...kinda sultry in the summer but it's a lot warmer in south Florida or Texas than Wisconsin in February!

But I DID take the plunge a few years ago and put heat in 2/3'rds of my shop...mmmm...toasty!

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/krooser/shop%20pictures/d564f541.jpg

R6MGS
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
My TR6 is under about an inch of ice(garage roof dipped off on it, and if froze...and surrounded by snowbanks /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif But it's suppose toget alot warmer towards the end of next week...I can't wait, gotta wash some cars!

tomshobby
02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I agree, about the cold.

I have an attached garage and figured a way to warm my garage. It works fairly well except on the coldest days. It does raise the heat bill but at least I have been able to spend some time in my garage.

I opened the door to the garage and placed a window fan in the opening on the floor blowing the cold air into the house. Because of the design of the house I am able to direct it into the basement. I did it this way because it is easy and because cold air settles and is denser and easier to move. I then set the temp a couple degrees higher and turned the furnace fan on. After an hour or so my garage was tolerable, not like the tropics but I could work in it with some comfort.

If you do this you will want your furnace to be in good condition which it should be anyway. I also did not do it for long periods and certainly not overnight.

kodanja
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
the fire was in Milford Ct
Lots of black smoke!

im about 20 mins north, in North Haven

MILFORD — A fast-burning greenhouse fire fueled by peat and plastic sent plumes of dark smoke wafting over the historic and well-known Filanowski Farm in Milford Wednesday afternoon, but the damage wasn’t as bad as it first appeared.

gsalt57tr3
02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry guys, I've been driving to work at 6 am with the top down for the last month for probably 3 out of 4 days. I only don't drive if its raining.

Temperature has ranged form the mid 30s to the mid 40s in the morning to the 60s on the way home.

I feel for you.

jayhawk
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Yep-- we've been well below normal ranges all the latter half of January and February.. High temp yesterday was 12 and it was 0 degrees F this morning. I've been trying to do a little work in the (unheated) garage but holding cold tools and working on cold machinery (and sometimes with flashlights) isn't my favorite. 40-50 degrees promised for next week will seem balmy in comparison!

kodanja
02-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I would love 40 degrees

Wedsday we got 5" of ice!!!!

Then again I cant break it if I dont drive it!!!!

R6MGS
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree, about the cold.

I have an attached garage and figured a way to warm my garage. It works fairly well except on the coldest days. It does raise the heat bill but at least I have been able to spend some time in my garage.

I opened the door to the garage and placed a window fan in the opening on the floor blowing the cold air into the house. Because of the design of the house I am able to direct it into the basement. I did it this way because it is easy and because cold air settles and is denser and easier to move. I then set the temp a couple degrees higher and turned the furnace fan on. After an hour or so my garage was tolerable, not like the tropics but I could work in it with some comfort.

If you do this you will want your furnace to be in good condition which it should be anyway. I also did not do it for long periods and certainly not overnight.

I had the door your refering to moved outsisde so it opens onto the driveway...In the garage I don't have room for it to open, or the steps it requires due to having 4 cars crammed into a 2 car attached garage. The garage is actually so cramped that there is no way I can work in there, so all my work is done in the driveway, or at my parents garage(detached...roughly 4-5 car)....I've got 3 cars in there as well, and with all my parents stuff in there, there is still one free bay to work....but it's a block VERY cold building. So the only work I do in the winter is what has to be done to keep our daily drivers running, all the LBC's are waiting for the spring

gsalt57tr3
02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
This reminds me of a email thread I had with a work friend in Minnesota.

It began with "What do you wear during that kind of weather?"

I was born in California (so I can't claim the wisdom of moving to a state where you can drive your LBC most of the year). I think most of us here don't have an appreciation of what you in the frigid parts of the country go thru.

While I was in the Navy I was in Memphis for a period of time and endured a couple ice storms. Thanks but no thanks.

Mike_Bouse
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM
TEN degrees would be welcomed! Like Jayhawk, i woke up this a.m. to zero degrees fahrenheit. And the wind just keeps whipping around.

It has been too cold for the past three weeks in a row for me to be able to heat the garage. That means ole FrankenStein has been ignored like a red-headed step child for that long. And, i have about $200 in parts sitting in the garage waiting to be put on....and some painting to do....and new door panels to install....and carbs to tune....and....

Come on, just 20 degrees, please? I'll never be able to drive ole Frank this spring if I can't get any work done now.

TheAssociate
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, generally we're lucky here on the coast - it's usually between 40-50 degrees during the winter. I've been driving the Spit most of the time, but we had some unexpected snow in Nov. and Dec.
IMG]https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/The-Associate/SnowyTriumph.jpg[/IMG]

Adam.
__________________________________________________ __________
1973 Triumph Spitfire.

TheAssociate
02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Whoops.
https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/The-Associate/SnowyTriumph.jpg

Adam.
__________________________________________________ __________
1973 Triumph Spitfire.

Tinster
02-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I have like zero pity for any of you TR gurus.

83* degrees on the island today, drop dead georgeous,
bikini babes on the beach, top off the Grey Ghost............

And I have a standing offer of a r/t air ticket, gourmet
cooking, room overlooking the pool, use of my Grey Ghost
boulder bouncer, 2 miles from the beach, world class game
fishing...........

all in exchange for any of ya to come down here and put
Crypty's new clutch in, connect the brand new hydraulics,
connect the starter motor and help me muscle the tranny
back in.

I estimate 4 hours tops for someone who knows what they are doing. 4 hours labor for freebie winter long weekend?
Honest offer.

tinster

GB1
02-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Dale:

How long can they stay?

Patrick

kodanja
02-16-2007, 03:13 PM
83* degrees on the island today, drop dead georgeous,
bikini babes on the beach, top off the Grey Ghost............

sure rub it in

get out there and get that car of yers on the roads!

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/iceeeee.jpg https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/ice.jpg

Tinster
02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Pat- week or so.

Kod- I'm at a roadblock buddy.
I have all the pieces but don't know how to
install them. I've read Bentley, looked at the
pieces, read Bentley, etc.

The tranny and clutch were not installed properly
so I have nothing to go on for a re-install.

d

GB1
02-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Dale:

You have made me wish for the first time ~snicker~ actually it is the second time today, I saw a TR3 on a flatbed this morning, that I was a TR guy.

Patrick

kc_doyle
02-16-2007, 05:36 PM
It warmed to +20f in wisconsin today. But just to keep us from being too happy with it, it was windy. Supposed to warm up by the middle of next week though. If my memory is any good, it's been about 3 weeks of near 0 weather. Spring will come, the LBC's will come out and all will be forgotten.

Telly
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
In 1973 I was driving a TR6 to college in the snow and salt in Minnesota. That poor thing, I wonder what ever happened to it. It probably was parted out.

Hey Kodanja, nice looking six!

Hey Tinster, I was in Puerto Rico last weekend. Should have looked you up but was on Condado beach with the rest of the tourists drinking beer and soaking up the sun. What a great place!

Terry

tr6lover
02-16-2007, 06:52 PM
hey dale, ill take you up on that offer to replace the clutch! lol ive done that job a couple of times in my old tr6. i had put a gt6 flywheel in and the clutch wouldnt release properly and out came the whole thing again. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif haha ive also done it at a restoration shop i used to worked at. i feel your pain
Randy

14dna
02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Dale see your PM Dave

ALLAN
02-16-2007, 09:30 PM
What I always find interesting is that the greater majority of Triumph owners seem to be on the east coast where it is not as inviting for year round use,convertables and rust prone cars. You easterners are real troopers. How or why did so many Triumphs end up on the east coast??

Brosky
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
The biggest importers were on the east coast and that was also the primary drop off point for soldiers returning from England after WWII. They got hooked on these British cars and the rest is history.

Aldwyn
02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
My thoughts exactally...

Didnt most of the Triumphs in the 60s and 70s come into Baltimore, NY and Norfolk?

gsalt57tr3
02-17-2007, 12:11 AM
What I always find interesting is that the greater majority of Triumph owners seem to be on the east coast where it is not as inviting for year round use, convertables and rust prone cars. You easterners are real troopers. How or why did so many Triumphs end up on the east coast??

OK, here's my theory:

The more you drive your Triumph (or any LBC for that matter), the better it runs. Conversely, the less you drive your LBC, the worse it runs.

The worse your car runs, the more you post on the site. therefore, the sampling of posts is skewed toward the drivers who have more problems, ie, the ones who have to store them all winter on the east coast. On the west coast, we are just driving more, having fewer problems, and don't post as much.

Bet you couldn't tell that I analyze and interpret data for a living...

AngliaGT
02-17-2007, 12:13 AM
I noticed,while talking to people on the
East Coast,that most of the TR6's seemed to
come from the West Coast.
.... Just an observation.

- Doug

kodanja
02-17-2007, 02:09 AM
<span style="color: #3333FF">mine came from fla. EBAAAAAAAAAAAY!</span>

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/tr68.jpg

<span style="color: #333399">font:Arial Black]<span style='font-size: 20pt'>
I Still HATE THE COLD!!!!!!</span>[/font]</span>

Tinster
02-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Telly!!

Your were in PR last weekend and didn't look me up!!

Condado, you say?

Like that ain't really Puerto Rico. That's Atlantic City
New Jersey moved south.

Now the mountain town of Guavate with lechon and
amarillos- THAT's Puerto Rico. I live about 15 minutes
from Condado, could have picked you up in the Grey Ghost
and shown you some real PR.

Don't make that mistake again,

d

R6MGS
02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
What I always find interesting is that the greater majority of Triumph owners seem to be on the east coast where it is not as inviting for year round use, convertables and rust prone cars. You easterners are real troopers. How or why did so many Triumphs end up on the east coast??

OK, here's my theory:

The more you drive your Triumph (or any LBC for that matter), the better it runs. Conversely, the less you drive your LBC, the worse it runs.

The worse your car runs, the more you post on the site. therefore, the sampling of posts is skewed toward the drivers who have more problems, ie, the ones who have to store them all winter on the east coast. On the west coast, we are just driving more, having fewer problems, and don't post as much.

Bet you couldn't tell that I analyze and interpret data for a living...

I think this goes along with the fact that the Triumph forum has more posts than the MG forum /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

kodanja
02-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Seems to me that my car is more prone to break down and have troubles with it when I drive alot.

CANT BREAK IT, IF YA DONT DRIVE IT...

Being from the east coast all my life and always having some type of LBC, The winters here just really enhance my love for driving on the nice days.

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC06890.jpg

(God I Hate the Cold)

gsalt57tr3
02-18-2007, 12:55 AM
It hit 70 in Fresno today.

I was driving in a t shirt.

tomshobby
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Beautiful pic! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Hey Basil, this belongs in a British Car Forum calendar!

Tom

kodanja
02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I'ts one of thoses 50/50 cars
looks great from 50' or 50 mph....lol

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/bbbb.jpg

tomshobby
02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Still great pics!

Harry_Ward
02-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I'ts one of thoses 50/50 cars
looks great from 50' or 50 mph....lol

Oh really! ....I think it looks a whole lot better than that! I've seen the close ups.

kodanja
02-18-2007, 05:21 PM
40/40?

kc_doyle
02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
The temp here in Wisconsin is 32deg F this afternoon. I couldn't stand it any more. I had to wake Ol Yeller up. It's been over three months but with a lot of choke and pumping on the gas she fired and ran as if I had driven her yesterday. What a sweet little Car. I have so many things that I want to do, but I don't want to get into the Crypt mode so I'm going to wait for a need before I get into it. "if it's not broke, don't fix it." It's kinda like an ugly child, ya love um anyway

kodanja
02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I just hate to drive with salt and sand on the streets~!!!

Brosky
02-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I won't drive with any salt on the roads.

Tinster
02-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I enjoyed driving the Grey Ghost along the beach
road this morning with salt spray in my face
and sand under my tires. The 82* temps were kinda
nice as well.

d

kodanja
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I enjoyed driving the Grey Ghost along the beach
road this morning with salt spray in my face
and sand under my tires. The 82* temps were kinda
nice as well.

d
You know yer makin it real hard to like you with talk like that!.....LOL /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif
were gunna get nailed with snow this weekend
and i'm up on blocks /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

kc_doyle
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I didn't drive Yeller, I just let it run long enough to get good and warm and heat up the exhaust sys. It's rough enough that a little more salt wouldn't hurt but it just isn't something I would do. She's one of those 50/50 LBC's. I guess that we have a storm moving in sometime tomorrow or the next day. Think about it though. Only about 5 weeks till April. After that the weather in wisconsin should be looking like spring.
I feel sorry for Dale. Being that nice there year around must be boring. NOT

roofman
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Not rubbing it in to all you northerners, sunny 75 degrees here in the Charelston SC area today, but no driving the tr6 until I get time to sort out my wiring so it doesn't really matter.