PDA

View Full Version : VTR 2007 in Valley Forge, PA this July

StagByTriumph
02-10-2007, 09:49 PM
So how many of you are planning to attend the 2007 Vintage Triumph Register National Convention in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania?
https://vtr2007.com/index.htm

I would like to challenge ALL the Independent North American Triumph Clubs - NASS, TR7 & 8 Wedge clubs, Six-Pack, and others in North America to all converge on Valley Forge this coming July 17-21 2007. Why?

It is time for a British Revolution at Valley Forge where the independent Triumph clubs strut their stuff amoung all the other Triumphs. It is no longer true in North America that a Triumph has to have a "TR" in its model name. Let's show everyone what made the Triumph a marque that made history.

If your independent Triumph Club is planning on making a showing or sending a represenative squadron or unit, lets start to make plans to get together for the benefit of all Triumphs. I mean we are all part of the same frat - Scions of Triumph, aren't we?

Ever think there could be 500 or more Triumphs gathered in one spot? Why not? Ever been to a British Car show with over 1000 cars? Pretty awesome, yes? Now think about that same car show with ALL Triumphs!!

Put July 17-21 2007 on your Calendar, make your plans now to get your Triumph to the great country roads of Pennsylvania.

Be there!

Mickey Richaud
02-11-2007, 06:57 AM
It's on my calendar!

NickMorgan
02-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Wow! How much would I love to be there! Please take lots of photos.

TRDejaVu
02-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I plan on being there as it is only about 14 miles away from me. You are right in that there are some great English style narrow (ish) winding roads, which is what these cars were originally built for.

However, watch out for the deer; I think I hate them more than squirrels. A squirrel will either eat your house wiring or be the subject of the age old driving question, "what was that bump" - a deer (and we have lots of them) can really put a damper on your day.

I look forward to meeting many of the people who have been such a wonderful source of knowledge that I have tapped into to bring the "barn find" back to life.

martx-5
02-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I would love to go, but I don't think the TR3 will be done by then...maybe if I really push. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

StagByTriumph
02-21-2007, 09:54 PM
So you Presidents of the Independent Triumph and single model clubs in the USA... Jaguar have your tongues?

The gauntlet has been tossed, the challenge is on. 500 Triumphs at Valley Forge.

Here is the spin: Lets see more attendees going to VTR 2007 at Valley Forge listing their independent club as their primary club than attendees listing VTR chapter clubs. If you are a member of NASS, TSC USA, Six Pack, Wedge Club, or any other North American national club and are attending VTR, list your independent club on you registration form.

Triumph shows are for all Triumphs and people who love Triumphs. If you own a Triumph, lust for Triumph, or just are enthusiastic about a Triumph, then it is time to show your enthusiam.

Let's see Club Banners from all the Independent clubs on display at every moving event, the welcome party, and the awards dinner!

Get to Valley Forge 17-21 July 2007 and declare your independence.

toysrrus
02-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi Glen: My Name is Russ & I reside in the Pocono Mtn Area: I surely will be there with My Sweet Old English White `66 TR4A-IRS: I belong to the Delaware Valley Triumphs: We`ll See You There with Your Stag:

Monkeywrench
02-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I'll probally be there during one of the days.

Twosheds
02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Is TRA an Independant Triumph Club? It's not single-model 'cuz there's TR2-3-4-4A.

Andrew Mace
02-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Yes, John, TRA would be considered "independent" in this case! I trust everyone realizes that, no matter your club affiliation (or lack of same), you WILL BE a VTR member once registered for the convention!

Sarastro
02-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh, the nostalgia! I grew up in that area, and spent many brilliant fall Sunday afternoons driving my TR4A through Valley Forge and the surrounding countryside. Alas, I almost certainly won't be able to attend, though. Sigh.

Twosheds
02-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I have made tentative plans to go to Valley Forge. I plan to convoy with some other Marylanders. But I am having second thoughts because of the expense. A disability check does not go very far! Hotel bill, registration, banquet, T-shirt, parts, it adds up.

I was going to borrow a trailer and tow The Blue TR3 with Dale, the RED Chev-er-lay truck. Now, before you guys go all Trailer Queen on me, let me say that this will be the first time that I have trailered The Blue TR3 to a show. I have driven him to several TRA Nationals. Also to Road America, 850 miles. But I didn't get the Longest Distance Driven award. The guy who won drove a TR6, so I should have won on Index of Discomfort.

Anyway, my illness makes it hard for me to drive the TR3 in the heat. And besides, if one of us should break, we've got a trailer!

What should I do? Throw caution to the wind and [censored] the Torpedoes? Or stay at home and write smart-aleck e-mails all day?

By the way, I'm in TRA and VTR.

Don Elliott
02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Art - You and others whose cars are not finished should come anyway. You will see all the other beautiful Triumphs and get even more motivation. Also the National TRA meet is being held near Watkins Glen in up-state New York in mid-June. Not too far for you.

StagByTriumph
02-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Yes, John, TRA would be considered "independent" in this case! I trust everyone realizes that, no matter your club affiliation (or lack of same), you WILL BE a VTR member once registered for the convention!

Andy,
Registering and being or becoming a VTR member, well that is not a bad thing is it? Neither is belonging to an independent club a bad thing.

My point is that those registering do not need to feel they have to list a specific VTR chapter or zone as their "home" club, but that they can proudly list their Independent club affiliation on their registration form.

The idea of this convention is to gather All Triumph enthusiasts, regardless of club affiliation, in one spot for a common cause isn't it? No EXclusion, only INclusion.

I hope that is your point; to promote inter club cooperation for all the clubs in North America and gather them all at a Triumph National Convention.

Just checking ...

StagByTriumph
02-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh, the nostalgia! I grew up in that area, and spent many brilliant fall Sunday afternoons driving my TR4A through Valley Forge and the surrounding countryside. Alas, I almost certainly won't be able to attend, though. Sigh.

Yep, I grew up there too. Went to Valley Forge Memorial Chapel church in Valley Forge park, learned to drive my dad's '63 Herald in the park, attended several Boy Scout Jamborees there, often drove my TR250 to various places in the park to "park".

It is too bad you can not attend. We could have got together and take some out of State Triumphs on some really great PA roads!! But I bet DVTA has a few great road trips up their sleeve.

StagByTriumph
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I have made tentative plans to go to Valley Forge.
What should I do? Throw caution to the wind and [censored] the Torpedoes? Or stay at home and write smart-aleck e-mails all day?

By the way, I'm in TRA and VTR.

Schedule the trailer and the truck, and keep writing the emails! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif

NickMorgan
02-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Don,
Will you be driving down there?
Nick

angelfj1
02-26-2007, 09:32 AM
The wife and I will be hosting a BBQ sometime during the VTR event. You are all welcome. The more the better. We are a short 30 minutes from Valley Forge Park. I'll supply the burgers, etc. Bring your favorite beverage.

Details later.

Frank

P.S. Our VTR chapter , Delaware Valley Triumphs, is hosting this event. Just wanted you to know that DVT will be having a huge auction. There will be everthing from many NOS pieces to sheet metal, and an entire car or three.

angelfj1
02-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Nick: Your welcome to the BBQ. Please bring some haggas and 2 or 3 bottles of single malt!
Anyway, your exchange rate has never been better!!!
Frank

Twosheds
02-26-2007, 05:42 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif[/img]

O.K. Stag, I made the hotel reservations. Ouch!

StagByTriumph
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
O.K. Stag, I made the hotel reservations. Ouch!

That is great Doc! You only live once.

Besides, you can always cancel the hotel later at no charge.

Mickey Richaud
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Glenn -

Any chance there will be a Spinal Tappets reunion? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Mickey

StagByTriumph
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Glenn -

Any chance there will be a Spinal Tappets reunion? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Mickey

Ah yes, "Loosing My Transmission", an all time classic!! I thought they had their opening tour, reunion tour and farewell tour all in the same week? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nopity.gif

Well that is up to the good old boys up at ISOA. If they can be convinced to show up, they might need some instruments, mics and PA system. Then "Everybody Dance!!" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Mickey Richaud
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
If I could fit my guitar in the TR8, I'd drag it along for them - Lord knows I'm not doing it much good!

toysrrus
02-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Hi Folks;

Is It July Yet? Man, I can`t wait!! I`ve never been to a show where It`s exclusively "All Triumphs"! My Friend has a "Alfa-Romeo Duetto" & was wondering If It would be OK to bring the "Duetto" to the VTR? Where he would park it; I don`t know? What about next to My TR4A? Would this be OK with the Powers to be at the VTR?

See Ya All Later; Russ

Mickey Richaud
02-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi, Russ -

At the VTR I attended in Rockford, Illinois a couple of years ago, there were several non-TR's present. Don't remember any specifics, but any gathering of specialty cars is going to attract others.

As far as parking, I'm sure he would be "relegated" to a space outside the viewing areas for the TR's. Not a slam against him - it's just a show for the TR folks. It's not a matter of snubbing; it's simply a TR thing, and would be the same if it were an Alfa thing.

Mickey

StagByTriumph
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Ha! All Triumphs? You should have been at Rockford when there were 34 Stags on the show lot and 37 attending!! THAT was truely amazing.

Anyway, bring the Alfa. There are always other rare and interesting cars showing up at VTR conventions.

As for "July here yet", well after the article in the latest TVT Issue #101 documenting the "Tail of the Dragon" trip by ISOA'ans returning from Spartansburg show, I hope to add that route somehow to my trip out from Colorado. What is an extra 500 miles out of the way for a once in a lifetime "318 turns in 11 miles" drive in a Triumph?

Anyone want to caravan or meet up to drive the Dragon Tail on the way to VTR 2006?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Mickey Richaud
02-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Ha! All Triumphs? You should have been at Rockford when there were 34 Stags on the show lot and 37 attending!! THAT was truely amazing.

Um... Glenn? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Mickey Richaud
02-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Anyone want to caravan or meet up to drive the Dragon Tail on the way to VTR 2006?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Depending on the timing, I would. Let's talk more about it.

Mickey

StagByTriumph
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
All Triumphs /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif Okay ...

Depending on the timing, I would. Let's talk more about it.
Mickey

We are planning a drive to NE Oklahoma to visit some friends, then head across MO and TN to the tail, then up and catch the blue ridge parkway, across VA to MD and into PA. This trip will be minimal interstate highways.

I figure after all those turns I'll need a suspension rebuild before I go back. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

kindofblue
03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi Stag
Thanks for all your effort on behalf of the Delaware Valley Triumphs, who are sponsoring the event. I am also a member of the DVT, and I hopefully will be there. I am waiting for a check on an eBay item I sold to pay for the registration. It isn't cheap. If not I will have to work through the event.
Not all the cars will be "beautiful", I sure hope to capture the "diamond in the rough" class if there is one. Please, even if you don't have a car come. You never know what may turn up at such a large event.
The parts auction should be an exciting event. We need lots more parts. I can get you in touch the person running the auction if you think you have something to consign.

StagByTriumph
03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Stag
Thanks for all your effort on behalf of the Delaware Valley Triumphs, who are sponsoring the event. I am also a member of the DVT, and I hopefully will be there.
My pleasure and best wishes to the host club. Whenever Triumphs are involved gathering in a spot, I'll be waving the flag (hey Basil, what happened to the smiley flags??). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif
Besides, Triumph Stag Club USA will once again be a cash sponsor of this convention - just like the other triumph Clubs should be. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I am waiting for a check on an eBay item I sold to pay for the registration. It isn't cheap. If not I will have to work through the event.[/QUOTE]
Well yes, it takes some dough, and historically Triumph owners have not been in the range of the affluent and having a lot of disposable income. I remember scrounging money to keep my Triumphs running - working part time after school at a dealer in Collegeville to get parts discounts. I mean I have Specialty Microbrew beer taste on a rotgut lite beer budget sometimes too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif
Speaking of BEER ... if DVT has a poolside hospitality suite, I'll personally sponsor a keg of Yingling or local microbrew.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Not all the cars will be "beautiful", I sure hope to capture the "diamond in the rough" class if there is one. Please, even if you don't have a car come. You never know what may turn up at such a large event.[/QUOTE]
You obviously have not seen my piece of coal then .. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] The parts auction should be an exciting event. We need lots more parts. I can get you in touch the person running the auction if you think you have something to consign. [/QUOTE]

Okay all you parts hoarders! Give them up!! Get your parts to DVT for the parts auction!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Here is a little factoid guestimate for you all: Within a 600 mile radius of Valley Forge PA, there are at least 5000 Triumphs. We have over half of our own club members within a two day drive of the convention - that is almost 150 Stags.

So what is the reason there can not be 500 Triumphs, including 50 Stags to help celebrate 50 years of TR3a's.

Be there!!

StagByTriumph
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
The wife and I will be hosting a BBQ sometime during the VTR event. You are all welcome. The more the better. We are a short 30 minutes from Valley Forge Park. I'll supply the burgers, etc. Bring your favorite beverage.
Details later.
Frank
P.S. Our VTR chapter , Delaware Valley Triumphs, is hosting this event. Just wanted you to know that DVT will be having a huge auction. There will be everthing from many NOS pieces to sheet metal, and an entire car or three.

Ah Frank, got a tub large enough for a keg-o-beer and some ice?? I'll kick in for some of the adult beverages.
I hope you have lots of room to park Triumphs, as I don't know of one Triumph owner to pass up on free food and beer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

foxtrapper
03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Glen,
I just want to make sure I understand the pricing. It's the same full price whether I come up for an afternoon after work, of if I enter a car and stay for all four days? There's no day pass or walk in pass?

Andrew Mace
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
"Just looking" has pretty much ALWAYS been free @ VTR conventions!

StagByTriumph
03-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Glen,
I just want to make sure I understand the pricing. It's the same full price whether I come up for an afternoon after work, of if I enter a car and stay for all four days? There's no day pass or walk in pass?

For complete rules, you should contact the event organizers https://www.vtr2007.com

However you raise a good question. I wonder if this has been a long misunderstanding with the various VTR conventions. VTR conventions are not like some of the car shows that have an entrance fee for the viewing public.

Like Andy says, "just looking" has always been free and open pretty much to the public, including the day of the car show, and access to the vendor areas inside or outside the hotel is always free to the public.

Your registration fee covers participating in any moving event with a car, attending all of the technical seminars, etc., insurance liability to the host club and to cover the other fees the host club pays to set up the event, including the Welcome Reception, rental costs of the seminar rooms and spaces or other parties paid with the registration fees.

Some event organizers will allow you to come to the Awards dinner if you are not registered for the 4 days, but simply want to have dinner with some old Triumph buddies and pay the meal ticket for the meal event. I think Triumphest and a few other shows allow that. Some vendors even purchase extra meal tickets and reservations for their "special" guests.

But for the final word, you will have to check with DVT organizers to see what their rules are.

kindofblue
03-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I sent my registration in. I will be there. I plan on just doing Wed, Thurs and Fri.

Speaking of beer, Yuengling is the "official" beer of the DVT... it is a good one. There is a brepub in New Hope, PA called the Triumph Brewery. They show up at some of our events..... I have no knowledge one way or another if they will be at the VTR....

StagByTriumph
03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I sent my registration in. I will be there. I plan on just doing Wed, Thurs and Fri.

Speaking of beer, Yuengling is the "official" beer of the DVT... it is a good one. There is a brepub in New Hope, PA called the Triumph Brewery. They show up at some of our events..... I have no knowledge one way or another if they will be at the VTR....

Ah yes, "America's Oldest Brewery" Yuengling. But Pottsville is a bit iof a drive from the hotel so they are a keg candidate for sure. Triumph Brewery is a possiblilty though. Your spelling is as good as mine "brepub". HA!
From what I recall New Hope is only an hour +/- drive outside of rush hour from Valley Forge up route 202. Not the best drive going to, but a return trip up route 32 to toute 563 with a few detours (one ie Perkasie to stop by Ragtops and Roadsters) then off to Deep Creek Road from route 73 through Montgomery County Park to route 29 and back through Valley Forge Park to the hotel would be a nice afternoon drive. Great roads I drove when I was a kid in my Heralds and TR250. Sounds like a driving rally for sure.

Without too much thought I could conjure up some really great roads back to Valley Forge from Greenlane, probably most of them with no centerline stripe, all great back roads through the woods and over hills and valleys.

StagByTriumph
03-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Time to move this up to the top of the list.

This is going to be a great venue folks!

And with the amount of Triumphs focused in that area, this has got to be one of the top numbers of cars attending a Triumph National Convention.

Jerseygirl
03-21-2007, 06:33 AM
We might drive out in the Spit to check things out on Saturday, but I'm not paying $120 to register for an event that I can only attend for maybe a day and a half. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

PATR8
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Has anyone thought of designing a scenic route from western PA and all points west to Valley forge and some possible link up times/locationms so we can convoy across the state?

This would give company to the drivers and a guides to help those from further west and all kinds of spare mechanics for any possible repairs ....

kindofblue
03-22-2007, 07:17 AM
We might drive out in the Spit to check things out on Saturday, but I'm not paying $120 to register for an event that I can only attend for maybe a day and a half. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Unfortunately, the cars will be shipping out Saturday. The concours is Friday in the town of Phoenixville. We hope you can make it.

Jerseygirl
03-22-2007, 07:32 AM
The entire event occurs during the week, with nothing on the weekend??? Oh well. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

IanF
03-22-2007, 12:37 PM
[quote=kindofblueUnfortunately, the cars will be shipping out Saturday. The concours is Friday in the town of Phoenixville. We hope you can make it. [/quote]

Umm... Why only during the week?

kindofblue
03-22-2007, 04:20 PM
https://www.vtr2007.com/schedule.jsp

Here is the schedule. I think it is all during the week so the people from faraway can travel on the weekends and not have to take so much time off of work. (only a week). I will only be there W,TH,F.

If you can't make VTR, maybe you can come down for the DVT Brits are back car show, May 26 at Hope Lodge in Ft Washington.

I would like to meet you guys, I have the English car and my wife sews, weaves, knits, and crochets. Lately she has been making all forms of baby carriers for our new arrival, Miles.

StagByTriumph
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately, the cars will be shipping out Saturday. The concours is Friday in the town of Phoenixville. We hope you can make it.

Phoenixville for the Concours?? Really?? It could at least been up the road in Coventryville or Warick for some English town names.

Ever consider the Old Poole farm in Springmount?

I would have thought the Councours could have been somewhere in the park. There are a load of great spots there.

So are we talking someone's cool local farm from DVT or one of the local parks?

toysrrus
03-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Folks;

This is Obviously going to be One **** of a Treat to See All these LBC`s; All on One Lawn together: But What ever happened to the days of going to an Event and Paying @ the Door $10-$15.00; Get a Dash Plaque and Bunch of Neat Goodies to Detail Your Car? Robyn; Are You trying to tell Me that It`s going to cost Me $120.00 even If It`s just for One Day??

Regards, Russ

Andrew Mace
03-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Russ, understand that this isn't just a car show; it is a four-day gathering of VTR members. I don't believe anyone has ever been charged to simply show up and view the Concours and/or Participants Choice displays, but those displays are only one part of the four-day convention.

TRDejaVu
03-24-2007, 01:14 PM
OK, I live local and would probably show up for one, maybe two days, depending on work commitments. I would like to bring the TR4 and park it with the others, but I have no interest in it being judged. My interest is in seeing some cars, sharing experiences with the owners (hopefully meeting some of the people from this forum), with perhaps a group drive or 2 thrown in.

If I also bring "her indoor's", what's it going to cost me?

StagByTriumph
03-24-2007, 04:25 PM
OK, I live local and would probably show up for one, maybe two days, depending on work commitments. I would like to bring the TR4 and park it with the others, but I have no interest in it being judged. My interest is in seeing some cars, sharing experiences with the owners (hopefully meeting some of the people from this forum), with perhaps a group drive or 2 thrown in.

If I also bring "her indoor's", what's it going to cost me?

Well that is a really great question. I often walk the parking lot and find many dozens of other Triumphs who have come to meet other enthusiasts, but leave their cars at home or in the car park.

Visiting and watching costs nothing. But does that benefit you as an enthusiast?

As Andy says this is a 4 day event, all inclusive with many continuous activities going on each day - drives, contests, technical sessions, group drives to eat a meal together or see a site, a few parties, and all wrapped up with a final car show and Awards Supper. All of that is included in the registration fee and optional dinner attendance. Many do not attend the dinner, but come later for the awards presentation.
So participation in the events and technical sessions are not ala carte. (a point for discussion at the next VTR members meeting?? do I hear a second?)

But the hotel, vendor rooms, club displays, show field are open to the public for free.

So, if you want to park your Triumph with others "in the show" on Friday, regardless of judging, it will cost you the whole registration fee of $90 for VTR members and $120 for non-VTR members.

I know a lot of car shows do a separate fee for those attending just the show day with their cars, and that seems to be between $10 and $50 depending on the venue.

It is possible, probable and very likely that a lot of Triumphs and enthusiasts are being missed because they can not attend for the full show, certainly a younger owner who has a real job - like the type of membership VTR is trying to attract to replace the old SOB's in the club.
An ala carte approach seems like it would only draw more cars and members to the show. Maybe that fee could include a $30 VTR membership fee and a $20 show fee, the entrant is then a VTR member and concours show entrant. Maybe someone can not attend all 4 days, only wants to bring their car to the show and eat at the dinner? Why should they bear the cost of supporting all the other activities they are not able to attend? (all points for discussion at the next VTR members meeting?? do I hear a second?)

Here is a suggestion for the Convention Organizers (if they have not already planned for it) that I see happening at most Triumph Events overseas:

For attendance at the show and people visiting the hotel who are driving their Triumphs or other British Cars, designate a "British Car Only Parking" area for non-show and non-event participant Triumphs. Segregate all other cars to another parking lot.

I think this is called fostering comradery between British Car owners and some of the other venues already do this as a matter of course. What a great and simple concept to promote our hobby and grow the club!

INclusion, not EXclusion.

Telly
03-24-2007, 04:43 PM
That does make me curious as to how it's handled at a National event. My first local LBC event a couple of years ago had my rusty TR6 sitting right next to a beautifully restored six. I was embarrassed to be next to him and I'm sure he didn't want me next to him. I would not have been offended at all to have been placed somewhere else next to similar cars as mine....It's just fun to be there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Terry

toysrrus
03-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi Glen;

This is My "Simple" conclusion: I would suspect there are quite a few Folks that are within an easy 1-2hr drive to the Event that would probably come on the Weekend due to Work etc: So, Why should these Good People pay $120.00 for a Day or Two & Not even be able to Park their Triumphs with the Rest of the Cars for the "Spectators and Enthusiasts" to View: Should You be coming quite a distance and staying at a Hotel; I suspect the Folks would be happy to Pay $120.00 for All Days cause Their There, No Matter What! As for Myself; I don`t believe I will be Paying No $120.00 for a Day Visit; For Sure!! But, I would like to Park My TR in a "Viewing Area" of somesort for the Other Folks to Look, Chat or Whatever: Why Is`nt there somesort of "Daily Fee" to Park Your TR with the Other TR`s? Something Like $30-$40.00 for example! I would suspect If this were the case; There would`nt be So Much Writing about Who`s going or Not Going to the Show: I would think Everyone Would be there and Proud to Display their LBC`s; Not Necessarily "Trailer Queens" for the Concours!! Oh Well; Whatever! "Moss Motors" Spring Show here I come; For Sure!!

Regards, Russ

Jerseygirl
03-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm about an hour and half from the venue and I would participate in a heartbeat, but I have a full time job and can't attend the entire event. Don't get me wrong. An all-Triumph show sounds fantastic, but at the same time, I'm not willing to pay $120 just to be able to spend maybe all day Friday (if I'm lucky) at the event. To put it in perspective...I could go to eight other $15 Saturday or Sunday car shows for what it would cost me to attend just one day of this event.

If, in the future, the registration rules change and I can pay for one day's attendance, I'll be there. Otherwise, I guess I have to wait 35 years or so 'til I retire so I can attend the whole thing... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

In any case, I'll look forward to seeing pictures. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

StagByTriumph
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Russ and Robyn,

VTR needs to hear from a lot MORE like you two. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

For example, most one day shows charge for entrance of the cars and still make money to cover the event. Another 100 cars at $20 each covers a lot of costs.

Let's say for argument sake, the show day only entry fee was $50 which included a year VTR membership and placing your car on the show field.

Would you attend on that Friday?

All respond please ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Jerseygirl
03-24-2007, 07:33 PM
For $50 I'd still have to think about it, but there would be a better chance I'd go. My only problem is that I already belong to too many car clubs, that I can't devote enough time to... MINI, Volvo Club of America, and NASS, so I'm not overly enthused about paying dues in another one. But that's just me. For someone with one car or multiple Triumphs I can see that kind of offer being much more attractive, even just for a one day attendee.

On a side note... Is there really nothing that goes on on Saturday for this event? The whole thing takes place during the week?

StagByTriumph
03-24-2007, 07:52 PM
That does make me curious as to how it's handled at a National event. My first local LBC event a couple of years ago had my rusty TR6 sitting right next to a beautifully restored six. I was embarrassed to be next to him and I'm sure he didn't want me next to him. I would not have been offended at all to have been placed somewhere else next to similar cars as mine....It's just fun to be there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Terry

Terry, why were you embarrased? Because you /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif drive your TR6 and the beautifully restored 6 next to you is a garage queen or trailer queen?
You are correct, it IS fun BEING there, it is MORE fun DRIVING /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif there IN your Triumph!!

Read my signature below ...

StagByTriumph
03-24-2007, 08:40 PM
For $50 I'd still have to think about it, but there would be a better chance I'd go. My only problem is that I already belong to too many car clubs, that I can't devote enough time to... MINI, Volvo Club of America, and NASS, so I'm not overly enthused about paying dues in another one. But that's just me. For someone with one car or multiple Triumphs I can see that kind of offer being much more attractive, even just for a one day attendee.

On a side note... Is there really nothing that goes on on Saturday for this event? The whole thing takes place during the week?

Robyn,
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately for VTR, you state the exact reasons why clubs like VTR do not experience a full marque turnout at their shows, and why membership numbers are low. If these conventions were more flexible with attendence, there would be 3-4 times the Triumphs showing up than as it is structured now.
Isn't participation, similar interests and support why we belong to these other clubs? They meet our needs. In the business world, that is just like customer service.

On planning a National Convention schedule, the host club needs to make a best guess as who they feel the most numbers of attendees will be traveling from. I would hope this is supported by input from the VTR membership rosters, chapter & zone lists to make that best guess. Most working folks get a few weeks vacation a year, so if they can take 4-5 days vacation, and they are within a two day drive - say 1000 mile radius - then they can take their time traveling to and from the convention with the least amount of vacation time spent. So it really is a good decision for people who have to travel to hold the event during the week. But most I have seen have the big show on Saturday to accomodate locals within a day drive if there is a large saturation of Triumphs. That way people can drive in Friday night, stay all day Saturday, leave Sunday. Friday registration for those shows is usually the second busiest for the folks at the registration desk, which includes drop in locals. If it can net another 100 attendees staying at the hotel it is usually worth it for the host club.

Here in Colorado in the Denver area the English Motoring Conclave sponsored and operated by 12 regional British Car clubs https://www.thecoloradoconclave.com/ (plug-plug) plan a two day show netting 400-600 British Cars. Cost is $20 a car preregistered - about 3/4 or more preregister, and the day of the show usually nets over 100 walk in car registrations at $25 each. Saturday is the "Drive the Rockies" and Sunday is the show. Attendees come from over 1000 mile radius.

So there is something to be said about having a show day registration fee.

Thanks again for your comments, and I hope you can at least come browse the cars on Friday. Heck, take a sick day.

Twosheds
03-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Once when my local TRA chapter hosted a TRA National Meet, I think we experimented with the option of a one-day registration. If I remember correctly, it went well. I could easily find out for sure if you're interested.

TRDejaVu
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
As Glenn said, "Isn't participation, similar interests and support why we belong to these other clubs? They meet our needs. In the business world, that is just like customer service."

Is it too late for VTR to accommodate us "one-day" troublemakers this year? With the way that this event goes all over the country (as it should), I have no idea when I might have another opportunity to attend.

StagByTriumph
03-25-2007, 02:24 PM
As Glenn said, "Isn't participation, similar interests and support why we belong to these other clubs? They meet our needs. In the business world, that is just like customer service."

Is it too late for VTR to accommodate us "one-day" troublemakers this year? With the way that this event goes all over the country (as it should), I have no idea when I might have another opportunity to attend.

Well that is up to the event organizers in the host club to decide to add any last minute "features". All we can do is ask and provide constructive opinions. I don't believe VTR would bind their hands so much as to completely "EXclude" other Triumph enthusiasts who can only attend the day of the show with their cars. But this would be a large diversion from the regular way things have always been done at VTR events.

One argument against a separate one day registration is that the organizers may feel most people will not sign up for the whole convention, but only the show day which could be an overall loss financially. A loss is always a huge concern for the host club that has to at least break even on costs.

However, those wanting to participate in the 4 days of fun are going to make plands to do it regardless. Those enthusiasts already know how much fun the event is over just one day of a show. In my opinion, the show day is boring compared to the previous three days activities that are always a blast, not to mention the technical sessions!

Considering that this Forum only contains a small but represenative percentage of enthusiasts, 4-5 owners in a week saying they can only attend for the show day and would appreciate a separate registration is a high rate.

So in the mean time, why not start asking? Certainly since most of those making the claim are within an hour or two drive, and some are DVT members!! It seems to me that a non-attendee contributes $0 to the event, where an registrant for the show day could net a new VTR member and $20 per car.

I know a few of the VTR Board and event organizers are watching this thread. For bringing this up I'll probably get my tires slashed when I arrive at the hotel. We are already the bad boys on the block. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Lets see what happens. The most important thing is - keep talking! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

toysrrus
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Hi Folks: Well; I had the TR out with the Top down on Sun; Felt Great!! Looks like She`ll be out tomorrow with the Top down again; 67deg!! I believe this is Half the Fun of Attending a Show; (Regardless of Its size etc); "Half the Fun is Getting there in Your LBC":

Glen; I would Most likely pay $50.00 for a One Day Attendance and It would`nt have to be the Final Day (Show Day): I agree with Yourself that the Last Day is Probably the Most Boring Day! People typ. are in a Hurry to leave & get back Home; Especially If they have quite a Drive ahead of themselves: Therefore, The Gen. Public does`nt get the Pleasure of Viewing other LBC`s and Having a Chat with their Owners etc: "Everyone is typically in a "Hurry-Up" Mode: Give Me My Trophy and I`m Out of Here!!

Personally; I enjoy taking My time & Viewing All the Cars and Meeting with All the Nice LBC Owners & Chatting etc etc: Some "Rocket Scientist" should have at least had the Last day set for Saturday: I see No reason in the World Why the Powers to be can`t change the Venue to a "One Day Attendance Fee"!!! There`s Plenty of Time & I`m certain Plenty of People that would Welcome the Idea!!!

Should this Change Happen; I will surely find at least One day to Attend; Presuming I can Park My TR amongst the Various LBC`s that will be there: I don`t have a Trailer Queen! Mine has Its Stone Chips, Door Gaps that are Not Perfect etc etc but "Who Cares"; I don`t!! I Love My LBC and All the LBC`s that are Out there; "Diamonds in the Rough to Trailer Queens"; I Love them All!!!!!!!!

Please Help Me & Other LBC Lovers to See these Cars;

Enthusiastically; Russ

TRDejaVu
03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I have raised the one-day issue on the team.net Triumph list and there has been some comments from the organizers. They are looking for additional feedback from others who can't attend the whole show.

For the record, I do appreciate the effort that the organizers put into creating these events for us; it must sometimes be a thankless task.

kindofblue
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I will bring this up at the next DVT meeting. I agree you shouldn't have to pay the whole amount for one day. I am only going three days, so it is about $40 a day. I am not a VTR member. If I was the rate would be $30 a day. So $50 for one day is quite a bonus amount.

kindofblue
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
[quote=TRDejaVu]

It is possible, probable and very likely that a lot of Triumphs and enthusiasts are being missed because they can not attend for the full show, certainly a younger owner who has a real job - like the type of membership VTR is trying to attract to replace the old SOB's in the club.

Like me, I am 33 years old with a 3 month old. I took three days off of work and a lot of beggin with the wife. I just couldn't miss a national event with my local Triumph club. Overall we need to move in the direction of making these cars appealing to younger people. There are only a handful in my club under the age of 40. My friends mostly love the car, only one I know would actually own one if he had the means.

BTW - the show is not in Valley Forge park. It is a National Park, and getting approval was tantamount to begging the President.

TRDejaVu
03-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I haven't been called young in a while, but I have the sort of job where project commitments do not easily allow for taking random days off. Much as I like the car and the community, I do not plan on using main vacation time for this, so one, possibly 2 days, is my limit (projects permitting).

StagByTriumph
03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Glen; I would Most likely pay $50.00 for a One Day Attendance and It would`nt have to be the Final Day (Show Day): I agree with Yourself that the Last Day is Probably the Most Boring Day! People typ. are in a Hurry to leave & get back Home;
Enthusiastically; Russ

Fortunately this car show last day is followed by some open time after 3:00pm that usually culminates in a lot of adult beverages /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif and Triumph fish stories around the pool, then getting dressed to go drink more adult beverages in the Grand Ball Room at 6:30 in preparation for a fairly good meal combined with more adult beverages while listening to the MC hand out the awards, then dessert is served...
which is followed by more adult beverages ... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pukeface.gif

Then everyone departs Saturday for all points of the compass.

StagByTriumph
03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I have raised the one-day issue on the team.net Triumph list and there has been some comments from the organizers. They are looking for additional feedback from others who can't attend the whole show.

For the record, I do appreciate the effort that the organizers put into creating these events for us; it must sometimes be a thankless task.

Team dot net is back up? I'd subscribe again to the Triumph Digest, but I already get far too many emails I have to deal with on a daily basis, and i like to go into a forum setting and read those that spark my interest.
So any of you with input on this issue, then go subscribe to the Triumph List or digest by sending an email to
majordomo@autox.team.net with a "subscribe triumphs" or subscribe triumphs-digest" (one block of all the days' emails) in the body of the email, then respond to the registration key email for confirmation. you will then receive confirmation, and start receiving emails directly into your inbox.
A warning though, the Triumph list can get real busy and deliver a few hundred emails to your inbox daily. Some days only 2-3.

Yes, it takes a lot of hard work to host a convention, many thousands of volunteer hours, and lots of dollars to make a great show happen. And when the event has a lot of drives, activities and site seeing coordinated into it, that is proof of a great committee. Once you autocross your Triumph through the timed pilon cone course, you will be hooked forever.

I am confident that anyone taking the time to attend this show will not regret one penny spent, and value each minute of time off work. In fact the 4th day always pops up so fast you are really sorry to see it come to an end.

So, See you all there!!

Continue the discussion too!

toysrrus
03-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Hi There Kindofblue;

I too am a DVT Member; Not a Good One but a Member! I hope to (This Yr) become more Active:

Anyways; By All means, Please do "Re-Enforce" the Issue of a "One Day Fee" for the VTR: Personally I feel a $30.00 Entrance Fee (In Advance or Drive Up) would be more than sufficient to cover costs of "Parking Your Car"!! Don`t You?

33yrs Young! I somewhat remember those days!!!!!!

See Ya All Later / Tweeking the TR for an "ALL DAY", Top Down Cruise:

Regards, Russ

PS: Hey; Where is that Guy that lives in "Greenville, SC"? I really would like to stay in touch with Him! Please Email Myself @ toysrrus@localnet.com should You read this Post; Thanx

StagByTriumph
03-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Well I am going to post the same challenge I started this topic with on the Triumph list.

It seems that the independent clubs circulate there in higher numbers.

I'll post the best responses back here!
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

StagByTriumph
04-01-2007, 08:59 PM
There is quite a bit if interesting discussion about VTR on the Triumph list.

However, VTR is less than 16 weeks away.

So for the cause I will once again attempt to gather a caravan of Triumph enthusiasts anywhere between Denver and Valley Forge. The short route is unfortunately interstate 70, and we would prefer traveling the least amount of interstate as possible. But to get across the heartland in july heat, we may not have much choice than to make the mad dash across Nebraska I-80 or Kansas I-70, or Oklahoma I-40.

Our plans are to depart the 14th of July, or late afternoon the 13th from the Denver area, arrive in Valley Forge on or before the 17th.

If there are any Triumph enthusiasts driving through, near or past Denver, or are on some sort of intersecting route between here and there, we would like to meet up with and travel with other Triumphs.

Suggestions for, routes, eclcetic eateries and stop overs, must see sights, etc are always welcome for discussion.

Our return trip is wide open and we plan to take a liesurely 7-8 day joy ride back acoss rural USA. If anyone wishes to join us for a spur of that return trip, let's discuss that also.

Mickey Richaud
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Glenn -

The wife and I are considering the trip, and would like to caravan. If your route includes middle Tennessee/Kentucky, we'd be interested.

Mickey

StagByTriumph
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi Mickey,
I have a pushpin on the map for you. As folks respond, I'll line up the pushpins and start making plans.

Cheers!

NickMorgan
04-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Right guys, I am beginning to get really jealous. I have always wanted to go to a VTR convention. Could you all do me a really big favour and take your cameras!! I would love to see some pictures of the cars, and the people I have been corresponding with on the Forum.

Mickey Richaud
04-05-2007, 08:38 AM
You got it, Nick. Looks like it will be a great one. We truly enjoyed VTR in Rockford a couple years ago.

Andrew Mace
04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Right guys, I am beginning to get really jealous. I have always wanted to go to a VTR convention....You're in good company, Nick! Notable Triumph people such as the late Ken Richardson himself often let it be known that they preferred to attend VTR Conventions over some of the Triumph meets in England. I don't believe that it was simply because Ken's visits were paid for or that he was treated like the "royalty" we all believed him to be. Sure, the fact that on at least one of those occasions, he was able to reunite with Kit Heathcote, his old rallye partner, helped.

But mostly Ken really appreciated the spirit of the people and their enthusiasm for the cars he helped to develop. That might just be why the Durand Cup, the Team Trophy awarded to Triumph for the successful efforts by the TRS cars in the 1961 Le Mans 24-hour race, is in permanent custody of VTR and is "awarded" every year as the Ken Richardson Challenge. The Challenge is an award given every year to an owner of a sidescreen TR who best displays "total involvement" with his or her car. Success in Concours judging is a part, but so is participation in the moving events offered at VTR convention (at least one such moving event is REQUIRED for participation in the "show" part of the convention).

Don Elliott
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
At VTR in Breckenridge Colorado in 2001, I drove my TR3A 2524 miles from Montreal. I drove it alone - no convoy for me - and no CB and no cell phone. A lady from New Jersey drove her TR4 2525 miles there, but the long-distance prize was awarded to someone who drove from the East coast to San Francisco on the Pacific and back to Colorado.

I was awarded the Ken Richardson Trophy as per the specs laid down by Ken Richardson. His trophy (The Durand Cup) is awarded at VTR to a side-screen owner with a long history with his TR, who drives it to VTR (no trailer queens), who enters the autocross and the judged concours event. I did the autocross and took 2nd in my concours class with 380 points out of 400 with over 55, 000 miles since I restored it. The winner was a "just restored TR3A trailered 200 miles from Denver" with 385 points.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

See the Durand cup here : - https://www.triumphest2006.com/images/clubcars/30donelliott'str3.jpg

https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

NickMorgan
04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Don,
If there was a road, I would gladly drive the 3,500 miles to Valley Forge. Do you think I would get the long-distance award if I brought the car over on a boat?
I certainly wouldn't get many points in the concourse, but it would be interesting to hear what the judges said.
Nick

Mickey Richaud
04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Don,
If there was a road, I would gladly drive the 3,500 miles to Valley Forge. Do you think I would get the long-distance award if I brought the car over on a boat?
I certainly wouldn't get many points in the concourse, but it would be interesting to hear what the judges said.
Nick

You'd have my vote, Bubba (Southern for "Mate"). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

StagByTriumph
04-05-2007, 10:20 PM
At VTR in Breckenridge Colorado in 2001, I drove my TR3A 2524 miles from Montreal. I drove it alone - no convoy for me
I was awarded the Ken Richardson Trophy as per the specs laid down by Ken Richardson. His trophy (The Durand Cup) is awarded at VTR to a side-screen owner with a long history with his TR, who drives it to VTR (no trailer queens), who enters the autocross and the judged concours event. I did the autocross and took 2nd in my concours class with 380 points out of 400 with over 55, 000 miles since I restored it. The winner was a "just restored TR3A trailered 200 miles from Denver" with 385 points.
Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

Don,
I think the Ken Richardson Trophy carries the weight. That "Just Restored" will probably never win it - not even in the same "class". Anyone can put a car load of dollars into a restoration and win a concours, but all the money in the world probably would never win the Ken Richardson Cup. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif
Besides, "the best trophies are ..."

StagByTriumph
04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Don,
Nick

I think you would get the "Furthest or Longest Traveled" award for sure.

Come on over Nick!! Baltimore is one port of entry for Wallenius Lines, and about 2 hours drive to Valley Forge. But there are other Ports of Entry too.
There have been many cars from 'cross the pond in the States. Just get all your paperwork lined up on both sides first and it will be a joy.
It will probably take you longer to clear you car out of customs than the drive - unless you use an experienced freight forwarder.

swift6
04-05-2007, 10:49 PM
At VTR in Breckenridge Colorado in 2001, I drove my TR3A 2524 miles from Montreal. I drove it alone - no convoy for me - and no CB and no cell phone. A lady from New Jersey drove her TR4 2525 miles there, but the long-distance prize was awarded to someone who drove from the East coast to San Francisco on the Pacific and back to Colorado.

Actually, the furthest traveled attendees to that VTR were Stan & Val Burt from Cadnam, Hants, England. But they are also Rocky Mountain Triumph Club members (long before the VTR) so we didn't give them the reward. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

(I was on that organizing committee)

Mickey Richaud
04-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Glenn -

PM check, please.

Mickey

StagByTriumph
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Caravanning from Colorado:

First impression is to depart Colorado and head south east toward I-40, maybe on US 50/400 toward Wichita and then drop south.
So general route will most likely connect up to I-40 some where east of Oklahoma City, continue east through Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, into Pennsylvania to Valley Forge.

Potential meet up places might be all routes that are close to or intersect along I-40, I-81.

For 15 weeks out, that is as close as it gets right now for initial planning. But at least it is in the planning phase so I can get the Streets and Trips out and start laying out an itinerary.

Cheers!

StagByTriumph
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Like a bad turd, this floats to the top every so often /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

VTR 2006 is 14 weeks away ...

Get your ride ready to /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

toysrrus
04-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Hi Folks;

Whatever Happened to the "Registration Fees" for Us "One or Two Day" Attendees?

Has anyone brought the Subject up to the DVT Club as of Yet?

I suspect the DVT can Alter Whatever their Hearts desire to be able to accomodate the More Local People who really don`t or can`t venture the Idea of Big Bucks for a Day or Two!

Thanx for Your Thoughts;

Russ

kindofblue
04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
We have a meeting this tuesday night. I am not sure if I will make it or not. I will bring it up if I do.

StagByTriumph
04-13-2007, 09:22 PM
We have a meeting this tuesday night. I am not sure if I will make it or not. I will bring it up if I do.

From what I understand, the issue has been raised on the Triumph list and the organizers are watching.

But it could use some additional publicity. So go to their web site, send them some emails and tell them you can not attend for the whole event, but if they had a one day show registration, you WILL be there!

Don Elliott
04-14-2007, 07:15 AM
The United States is a democratic country, the home of the free. A hotel full of Triumph people like you is a public place. A parking lot full of Triumphs near the hotel is a public place. So is the park or other place where the concours show will be held. There is no crowd control or ticket takers. In a democratic country, no one can prevent you from coming to watch anythging in a public place. The general public, no matter what car they arrive in to watch the events on any day cannot be forbidden to watch and mingle with the cars and the crowd.

But you can be denied entry to the banquet. For this, you will have to register and pay for your entry as well as for the banquet. This is what I did in Everett, Washington in about 1990 and in Ft. Worth in 1995 or so when I flew there as I was on business in the area for that week and weekend. But I didn't eat at the banquet.

Twosheds
04-14-2007, 10:30 AM
From what I understand, the issue has been raised on the Triumph list and the organizers are watching.

I think the list is down again.

StagByTriumph
04-14-2007, 11:38 AM
The United States is a democratic country, the home of the free. A hotel full of Triumph people like you is a public place.

Don,
I think you have missed the point. It has nothing to do at all with Democracy, restricting public access, or even elitism.

"Participating" is the point of all this discussion.

Let me be clear about VTR Conventions whether regional or national...
THIS EVENT IS OPEN TO THE VIEWING PUBLIC FOR F-R-E-E!!!!
IT IS ABSOLUTELY F-R-E-E TO visit and VIEW once you get there!
NO PAYMENTS, NO OBLIGATIONS, NO BLOCKADES or fences, NO SECURITY POLICE or Jack Booted thugs, no photo ID required.

You only have to register and PAY if you PARTICIPATE in the many moving and driving events, many - many - many Technical sessions, parking your car on the car show display grounds, and attending the BBQ and Awards dinners.

The point of this discussion is that some people can only come for one day who also want to attend WITH their TRIUMPH, PARK and DISPLAY their Triumph ON the SHOW field.

TRDejaVu
04-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I attended the Tech Day at Triumph Rescue today. Matt Bakes organized an excellent meeting and probably 50 people showed up to talk about a wide variety of interesting topics and generally shoot the breeze about our hobby. Many people brought their cars and hopefully someone will be able to post some pics (guess who forgot to bring a camera). I finally saw my first Italia and it was a beauty. Thanks Matt for a good day.

Where this leads is that there was an update on this year's VTR convention. I raised the question of the 1-day pass and was told that it will not happen this year due to VTR policy.

toysrrus
04-15-2007, 06:05 AM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif Hi Ian;

1st of all; I`m certain that "Many" of us Thank You for Bringing up the "One Day Pass" Requests!

I am just Bewildered that Its "Not Going to Happen"! Now, If I understand this Correctly? Should I attend the VTR for "One Day" (During the Wk No Less); Its going to cost Me $200+ to Park My Car there; Is that Correct? Even If I just want to drive My "Mazda MPV Van" & park a couple of Miles away; What will that cost Me?

Should I have to Pay that Sum of Money for One Day; Then I`m Sorry; "No Show for Myself"! Perhaps Next Time when some Rocket Scientist thinks about the Implications of a "Weekday Show Only" and "How many People & LBC`s will "NOT" Show Up!!

See Ya All @ Other LBC Car Shows (God only knows there are Plenty of Them)!!

Russ

TRDejaVu
04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Glenn's post at the bottom of page 6 is how I understand that it will be. I was told, and anyone who was there yesterday correct me if I get this wrong, that the concern about a daily rate is that it will dilute the revenue stream coming in to cover the costs being incurred. I was also told that the organizing committee know that they will lose some local people (and their revenue) who could only attend for a day because of the constraints of work, and who either cannot afford the full amount (probably some of the enthusiasts with young families, or those putting kids through college) or cannot justify it with SWMBO for the single day.

It won't be an issue for people coming from afar, as I would imagine that most of them are going to make a week of it; I hope to do that in future years when work requirements are not so pressing. For the locals, if you don't park your Triumph in the same area, then you can have some partial participation and not provide anything towards covering the organizers costs. That goes against the spirit of the hobby and as a Triumph owner is something I won't do. So the decision has been made and from a personal perspective I have to wait and see until the last minute if:
- I can take all the days off from company projects, or
- attend for a day and decide whether to pay the full amount (and be a curmudgeon - joke), or
- be a no-show.

We know that the LBC hobby participation will decrease as the following generations get into tuning their rice-rockets instead, but I would hope that we can delay that by encouraging the "young-uns" to get involved in a hobby that gives this group of old codgers (myself included) great enjoyment. If we don't succeed then we might just as well affiliate with AARP until the hobby dies from lack of interest.

04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I've refrained from saying anything about this - I let my VTR membership lapse so didn't feel qualified to comment - but I have to say that I think this is an incredibly shortsighted approach on the part of the board of VTR.

The fact that they chose to have the entire event during the week, I feel is a pretty poor decision. This is especially true given the population density of the NE and the number of people a well publicised weekend event would have drawn.

If I'd had anything to do with it, I'd have encouraged them to hold all the driving events during the week as part of a "full" event package, then have a show on the Saturday, where could they sell a one day field pass as part of a one year membership package (as has already been suggested).

I read the bleating about reducing the revenue stream for the host club, but alienating potential PAYING customers is not going to improve this in any way, shape or form. For every extra one you get during the week, you'd get ten on the weekend. You do the math.

Let's be brutally frank - the people who are coming for the week are coming anyway. Most of them are at the point in their life that they don't have to worry about the pressures of job and family, because they are, in the main, old. Sorry if that offends you, and I'm sure that someone will now chime in and say that X is only 21 and he's coming for the week, which is why I said in the main.

At some point the board is going to have to either address the aging demographic of the membership, or watch the whole club wither away as members die off. An elitist attitude of "If you can't make it for the whole time then don't bother" is possibly not the right way to entice new members...

This is mnsho only. I'm under 40 and own a TR, I was a member of VTR until this year, but my perception of the way the club is run - basically as an old boys club - is one of the reasons I let my membership lapse. This debacle reinforces my perception.

AngliaGT
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I agree - they don't sound like they want
to attract the average person.
My budget's been cut back drasticly in the
last few years because of family issues,rising
price of gas,etc.They might get some new members
also.Show them that you're the kind of group that
they'ed like to be a part of - by being flexible,
& listening to new ideas.

- Doug

kindofblue
04-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I attended the Tech Day at Triumph Rescue today. Matt Bakes organized an excellent meeting and probably 50 people showed up to talk about a wide variety of interesting topics and generally shoot the breeze about our hobby. Many people brought their cars and hopefully someone will be able to post some pics (guess who forgot to bring a camera). I finally saw my first Italia and it was a beauty. Thanks Matt for a good day.

Where this leads is that there was an update on this year's VTR convention. I raised the question of the 1-day pass and was told that it will not happen this year due to VTR policy.

Thanks for bringing this up. At least they know at the top.

I really wanted to attend the tech session, especially since the drive up to Matt's place is a nice one. However, I have been sick for two weeks, just came back from a vacation that we had to stay extra days, and it wasn't "top down" weather. If the weather was perfect I would have dragged my sick ass out for it. Glad it was a good turnout anyway.

I don't see any benefit in being a VTR member. I just sent in so I could go to vtr2007 and will let it lapse next year. I get lots of benefits out of the $25 DVT membership though!

toysrrus
04-16-2007, 05:32 AM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Well; The nor`easter is doing its thing here in the Northeast! What a Bummer!

All I would like to add to this Thread is I will surely make it one day but I will be coming in My "Mazda MPV Van" as I don`t relish the thought of parking My TR a couple of miles away to perhaps not find it Later!!

VTR Member; What or Who`s That?????? "NOT ME; NOT ANYMORE"!!

Enjoy the Snow, Wind, Sleet etc etc

Regards to All; Russ

BlakeDischer
04-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone, let's clear the air here. As a VTR board member, I refrained from getting involved in this public discussion until DVT made a decision, and it looks as though they have based on TRDejaVu's post about the session at Triumph Rescue.

The National board did discuss this, and because no policy is in place at the National level, we decided to leave the decision to the DVT organizing committee. They after all, bear the financial burden, which is sizable, as TRDejaVu points out in his subsequent post, and as anyone associated with last year's convention can attest to. Extremely hot weather was one of the factors that kept attendance low at the NATC (North American Triump Challenge, the formal name of the convention) they hosted in Dallas, Texas. As a result of having a low turnout, the club struggled to even just break even on the event.

Alana writes: "This is mnsho only. I'm under 40 and own a TR, I was a member of VTR until this year, but my perception of the way the club is run - basically as an old boys club - is one of the reasons I let my membership lapse. This debacle reinforces my perception."

I's sorry you feel that way Alana, and will extend this invitation to you: I will be happy to send you the provisional budget breakdown for NATC 2008 that is being organized now. I can report that the organizers also discussed the idea of a one-day pass, and are still mulling it over. But please consider this: for every NATC, not only are the host club's assets are on the line with the host hotel, but so is someone's personal credit card. In Dallas, when it was looking as though they were in trouble, the individual who's credit card was guaranteeing the about $20,000 hotel tab was nervous, and understandably so.

I think it's easy to sit back and criticize VTR National, or even DVT, for this decision; we all love to be armchair quarterbacks. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif But in the end, it does indeed come down to the financial risk the local club is willing to take. And that precisely what the NATC2008 organizing committee is evaluating as I type. When you see the numbers Alana, I'm guessing you will be stunned. The hotel gets its money, period.

My thoughts about this issue:

1. The fee being bandied about on this forum was $50 for the privilege of parking a non-participating, non-registered, Triumph on the show field. $30 would go to VTR National for a membership, $20 to the host club. At the end of the day, I wonder how many would actually pay that, it seems high to me. Glenn has mentioned maybe 100 extra cars would show up, I think less.

2. The enthusiasts desiring this one-day pass would need to be pre-registered perhaps 30 days out to facilitate laying out the grid for the show. This would ensure that each model's car owners would be parked alongside their respective car types. I think this requirement (very necessary) would work against the one-day pass concept because it seems to me that the one-day pass people would wait until they could determine the weather and other factors before paying $50 to park on the show field. I think 30 days out is too many. My thinking is based on what factors I myself would consider before paying $50 for show parking.

3. I think someone has already pointed out here that if a local club members works the event, they do not have to be members of VTR. This effectively reduces the price of attendance by $30, the price of VTR dues. So for $90 a local can attend the entire event if they are willing to volunteer in some way. For those of you that can't get the full week off of work, your volunteer stint wouldn't even have to be during the days. You could volunteer at the auction, the dinner tour, registration desk, hospitality room, and plenty of other places the hosting club needs help during non-business hours. Get involved and you'll save money.

4. Glenn pointed out that the show is not what makes a NATC unique. It's the driving events: funkhana, autocross, TSD, etc., and I fully agree. The show is judged on a formalized basis, and that's important to a lot of people, but none of my cars are concours cars, so for me it's the driving events. Oh, and did I mention the camaraderie? Reconnecting with the likes of Glenn, Fred Thomas, Jack McGahey, Darrell Floyd, Randall from California. For me, that's a lot of what it's all about.

Enough rambling on the one-day pass issue, but as for the good old boys notion. It just ain't so, there is new blood on the board and with it, new ideas. I got involved two years ago on the National board (in my 40s). Ronnie Babbitt, Georgia, got involved about the same time (in his 40s). Paulette Caudill from California got involved shortly after (it's not polite to ask a woman her age and I won't guess). Don't like the way VTR is run? Get involved, you can effect change. Talk is cheap. I remember a late night (1:00am!) restaurant meeting with Vernon Buchanon in Rockford at the NATC ISOA hosted. I complained about VTR directly to the head man. He listened, even agreed with some of what I was saying. His answer: put your money (actions) when your mouth (complaints) is. He asked what I thought I could do to effect change. I answered, he challenged me to do it, I did, and joined the board after I did what we discussed. Everyone is working very hard to lose the good old boys moniker and it's frustrating to hear it perpetuated.

I heard later that many people approach the board with complaints and offers to help, but many don't follow through. If any of you are truly willing to help, and not just sit back and complain, speak up and do so.

As I hope you realize Alana, there was no debacle here. (dictionary.com: Debacle: a complete collapse or failure.) Instead, there was a discussion and a reasoned decision by DVT about the one-day pass. With all due respect Alana, you may not agree with the outcome, but then, to be brutally frank (as you were) your wallet isn't on the line to the hotel.

My email is bdischer@blakedischer.com if you want to see some numbers for NATC2008. You'll see that success or failure depends entirely on full-event registrations.

All the best,
Blake J. Discher, VP Member Services
VINTAGE TRIUMPH REGISTER

toysrrus
04-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi Blake;

1st; Its Great that this Discussion has in fact rec`d. someones Attn from Up Above somewhere:

I would just like to add that if for `08 (Where is it going to be Held?); I would graciously Register well in advance; With Pd. In Full Funds; to whichever Club is the Sponsoring Club or Directly to the VTR: I would also suspect that other LBC lover would do the same!

Its understandable that when a "Personal Credit Card" is at stake; There is a Concern relative to $$$$$$; Especially Big Bucks!!!!

As someone had mentioned previously; The Northeast is Very Heavily Populated with Enthusiasts of All Sorts: The One Day Ticket Cost (In My Opinion) would probably be more than enough to cover the DVT Costs in Sponsoring the Event:

That`s It: I`m done: I`m looking forward to seeing a Lot of LBC`s and Perhaps make some New Acquaintances (From this BCF) @ the VTR:

Regards to All;

Russ

04-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Blake you have a pm

Andrew Mace
04-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Just some observations from someone who has been involved, off and on for MANY years, in VTR and in VTR conventions.

1. No matter what you (as a host club) plan for or even try to guard against, not everyone will be happy before, during or after. I swear I'm not making the following up. In 1996, the Adirondack Triumph Association hosted its second VTR National convention in the Albany, NY, area. Much of the time, the weather was gorgeous. Unfortunately, Saturday -- "Show" Day -- saw torrential rains from earliest morning through late afternoon, after-effects of Hurricane Bertha. Everyone managed to cope pretty well, even those owners of early sidescreen TR2s who somehow managed to keep their cars as buttoned-up and bailed-out as possible (yeah, the rain was that bad). So did the judges for the Concours, who did their very best to group four cars at a time under the host hotel's main entrance canopy. It was almost enough to keep the cars dry for that moment, although NOT nearly enough to keep all the judges dry as we moved around the cars.

In the midst of all this, someone actually came up to me during the day and, with a straight face and dead-serious attitude, said: "I can't believe you scheduled this convention on the weekend of a hurricane!"

This leads me to my next point....

2. These VTR Conventions, and most any such gathering of their type, take YEARS of planning, organizing and sweating out details. And try as we might, many of those details are simply beyond the control of the host Chapter or VTR. Examples: the above 1996 convention had to be hastily and almost completely rethought less than eight months before it happened, due to the fact that the original host site backed out of the deal. In 1998, a similar situation occurred for Minnesota Triumphs when the planned site saw endless construction delays. That site backed out with only about 6-7 months to go, and the Minn. Triumph folk luckily were able to scramble around and put together what turned out to be a fine event...in another state (albeit the neighbor state of Wisconsin)!

3. Even if planning goes well, sometimes it goes too well. Be it an upturn in the economy, a sharp drop in fuel prices, or just incredibly nice weather for long stretches in the summer...sometimes well-planned events get oversubscribed without warning. It's not easy to (re)plan when you've pretty much figured on attendance of around 200 cars/400 people, and you get HALF AGAIN as much, with most of the additional, un-planned-for people literally being last-minute entrants! And while one might reasonably expect Texas or Georgia to be very warm in summer, one can't plan 2-3 years in advance to avoid a brutal heat wave (or the aforementioned after-effects of a hurricane, or....)!

4. Oh, and not every metropolitan (or other) area has attractive, moderately priced facilities to host those 200+ cars and 400-500 or more people in one spot (or even two or three adjacent spots for overflow or alteratively cheaper housing/camping/whatever). And that's just dealing with a banquet and convention-long parking, not necessarily show grounds, autocross facilities, staging areas for road rallyes, etc., etc. AND, that's just trying to plan for those who are attending for the full length of the convention.

Please don't take this long-winded reply to mean that I don't sympathize with those who might like to show up just for the show; that is not my intent. I admit that I don't see much attraction in paying $50 or more for the privilege of parking my Triumph with or near a bunch of others. Even at current fuel prices, that $50 will keep me on a long drive most of the day, or cover much of the cost of parts to overhaul an axle's worth of brakes, etc.

My point is that no one should be too upset that DVT doesn't feel it is capable of addressing this concept on such short notice. Possibly, those organizers for VTR's 2008 Convention will be able to consider some possibilities.

Full disclosure: I am a charter member (#113; joined in early 1975) of VTR, and a charter member (#30; joined in 1978) of the Adirondack Triumph Association. Off and on I have been very active in both, including terms as President of both.

I have attended a number of VTR National Conventions (although, for various reasons, not since 2002), and I was part of organization, planning and administration of the conventions hosted by ATA in 1989 and 1996.

My first VTR Convention was in 1983 in Uniondale, Long Island (New York). I can honestly say that it was the last one I attended for the primary purpose of drooling over Triumphs. Sure, that's still an attraction for me. One never knows what might be there. In 1983, there were more than a few early TR8 coupes and other interesting "wedges," and in 1985 one of the TRS Le Mans racers, a gorgeous Dolomite saloon and a totally original and pristine Spitfire 4, among other really nice cars. But by that time, I'd already discovered friends that I'd met previously, and they've long since become my primary reason for attending.

Enough ranting from me. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

swift6
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
These VTR Conventions, and most any such gathering of their type, take YEARS of planning, organizing and sweating out details. And try as we might, many of those details are simply beyond the control of the host Chapter or VTR.

I can second that. When the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club hosted the 2001 VTR, we started planning three years in advance. We secured the hotel and sight in Breckenridge fairly quickly, but the property was sold three times before the convention. Luckily we didn't have to switch locations but with each new owner came more headaches.

StagByTriumph
04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
2. These VTR Conventions, and most any such gathering of their type, take YEARS of planning, organizing and sweating out details. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I love Forums, they get the discussion going, and I am not known for any humble opinion!!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif The <span style='font-size: 14pt'>key</span> point here that must be stressed to those who have never attended <span style="color: #006600"><span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>AND participated</u></span></span> in a National Convention is:

The VTR National Convention is not a one day car show on the green where people come for a day to stroll amoung cars that have been primped and polished all year long for a single day.

These conventions take so much effort because they are multi day, multi activity events that need to be coordinated on a tight schedule. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif (host club organixzers do a LOT of this!)

One day shows in a parking lot or on the green are planned in a few weeks worth of people hours, take minimal capital outlay and a group of volunteers a few days labor to pull off. And it last about 6 hours.

The VTR National Convention is a destination venue just like any other vacation. From the time you arrive and register, you are always doing something for 4 straight days, and it usually involves actually driving /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif your Triumph with a lot of other Triumphs. THAT is the cool part of a well run VTR National Convention, participating with other Triumph enthusiasts. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grouphug.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

A VTR convention participant is immersed is all things Triumph for about 48-60 hours. More if the hospitality suite is hopping late, someone is rebuilding their engine at midnight in the parking garage (one wrenching, 20 watching, kabitzing, pointing and drinking) or there are after hours BBQ's (one wrenching, 100 eating, pointing and drinking). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

It is all about your particular level of enthusiam and participation. If you want to stand around and look at Triumphs, that is fine. But people who come to a VTR National Convention participate in driving, technical sessions to learn more about their Triumph, various ralley driving, racing a timed cone course in their Triumph (autocross and funkanna /gymkanna), haggling with the various parts vendors.

So, (in the phrase I originally coined years ago)
"In My Not So Humble Opinion", I own Triumphs to DRIVE. A VTR National Convention simply enhances and facilitates that experience by multiplying and concentrating the numbers of Triumphs and enthusiasts on one spot for four days.

You only live once to Triumph!.

My car will be parked in Participants Choice on the show day, not concours. Don't even think about pointing out all the defects, there is not a long enough piece of paper. My estimated one way drive to VTR in my Triumph will be over 2000 miles, all part of the wild adventure.

My feelings on the one day fee is this:
If enough people contact the event committee (vtr2007@delvaltrs.org) directly (sorry for this headache guys /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif ) from now to say June 1 indicating they can not attend the whole event, but want to participate in the show for a fee, maybe stay Friday night at the hotel, the organizers can get an idea of what they need to plan for if they decide to open things up a bit on registration.

If they get 50 or 100 calls or emails on this subject, what do you think they will do?

toysrrus
04-17-2007, 04:45 AM
Hi Glen;

Well Said! Your a Gent and I agree with Yourself on All Points:

Relative to the DVT; I believe It has been brought up & a Decision has been made relative to a One Day Registration Fee: Its not going to happen; If I read someones thrd. correctly? Please see "TRDeJaVu`s" thread on Pg. 10:

Regards;

Russ

StagByTriumph
04-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree - they don't sound like they want
to attract the average person.
My budget's been cut back drasticly in the
last few years because of family issues,rising
price of gas,etc.They might get some new members
also.Show them that you're the kind of group that
they'ed like to be a part of - by being flexible,
& listening to new ideas.
- Doug

Well Doug, thank you for raising your issues. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

This is an important issue that has been in some VTR discussion lately, mainly, how to attract the average Triumph owner and the younger Triumph owner. You raise some very important points, and actually this is an issue many car clubs face today.
Unfortunately it gets discussed in a very small group of usually old bast@#$s' /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif without input such as yours and others here.
That I hope is changing and the old B's are paying attention. What it takes is for the older enthusiasts to not only encourage, but also allow the younger enthusiasts to take this hobby and run with it, encourage the new ideas, not suppress or discourage them. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

Typical younger Triumph owners, both back one or two years or so ago when I was "younger", and from what I see today, certainly if raising a family, is that younger enthusiasts may not have the necessary disposable income or be able to sacrifice the time to travel one or two days then spend 4 days at a Triumph event that is really not geared as a family destination venue. I mean had I considered attending a VTR convention back in the early 1980's with two toddlers and my wife in tow, let's say relations would have not been real friendly in the Merrell household. It was the issue of whether to spend that $50 registration plus hotel fees on a few days of fun, or put tires on the car so I could get to work. Besides, I probably had more fun spending that $50 eating subs, drinking beer and waterskiing on the upper Hudson River after work.

Ya know, the spirit and intent of the original factory TSOA included all Triumph owners regardless of age or status. When it was formed, the Old B's were young, and many may have forgotten what that was like back then. Being a Triumph enthusiast is not limited to any age or gender.

So to those younger enthusiasts who cannot make the VTR National this year, be active in your local club for the weekend drives and events, express your interests and volunteer for club positions. Step up and participate in the running and decision making of these clubs, certainly if everyone on the officer side of the table has gray, little or no hair (except like Blake, he shaves his)!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

And for the rest or you Old B's who fa*rt dust, I'll see you in 13 weeks at VTR 2007 in Valley Forge PA.

So how many want to meet up somewhere along I-40 to I-81?

Twosheds
04-17-2007, 07:08 PM

I live about twelve miles east of I-81 where it passes through Hagerstown, Maryland. Some marylanders in my area are planning to caravan. Route yet to be decided, but not I-81.

There must be a more pleasant route than the PA Turnpike.

kindofblue
04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
[quote=AngliaGT]

So to those younger enthusiasts who cannot make the VTR National this year, be active in your local club for the weekend drives and events, express your interests and volunteer for club positions. Step up and participate in the running and decision making of these clubs, certainly if everyone on the officer side of the table has gray, little or no hair (except like Blake, he shaves his)!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Here again the problem is priorities. I was much more able to attend DVT activities before the little one arrived in December. Being on the board would be way to much time for someone with young kids. I have to tell my wife days ahead to schedule time in the garage to work on the TR. I still haven't even driven it yet this year between the kid and awful weather in the NE.

I think realistically, there is a small amount of younger people into these cars.
Each generation sees cars come and go that are important to them. How many Model As and Ts are being fully restored these days? The interest isn't there as the generation that grew up with them goes away. I am afraid the same fate awaits English sports cars, except for the lucky few who understand.

Telly
04-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I've heard that before about Model As and Ts and that may be true But....

An LBC is fun to drive.
An LBC is small and easy to store.
An LBC can be driven over 50 mph.

StagByTriumph
04-18-2007, 10:39 PM

I live about twelve miles east of I-81 where it passes through Hagerstown, Maryland. Some marylanders in my area are planning to caravan. Route yet to be decided, but not I-81.

There must be a more pleasant route than the PA Turnpike.

Oh I agree fully. But up that close, I think there are soe really nice roads popping into PA, like through Blackhorse MD and those back roads up into PA route 372 gets you fairly close to Valley Forge.

StagByTriumph
04-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Details later.
Frank

Frank, So any more plans for this BBQ? I mean, I am getting pretty thirsty already /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Tuesday is the Welcoming Party, /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grouphug.gif
Wed is small Group dine around and Club dinners (woah! National Cub dinners, NASS and TSC USA!! Gosh, I think we need to get those two in one spot! - hint, hint - how many Triumphs can you park at your place, and how tolerant are your neighbors?), /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
Thurs is the Encampment Cookout
Fri is the Awards Dinner /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

So it looks like Wednesday is the open night. unless you want to do something Saturday ...

angelfj1
04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Plans are in motion! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

StagByTriumph
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
11 weeks to VTR 2007 ...

And my TTD (Triumph To Do) list is not getting any shorter ...

StagByTriumph
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Bubble sort for the week ...

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Have you made your Hotel reservations and online registration for VTR 2007??

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

StagByTriumph
05-05-2007, 04:50 PM
There is a rumor going round that not only will TSC USA be a sponsor the Welcome Party, but possibly the party will be co-sponsored by a few of the other "independent clubs".
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif
If that does happen, multiple clubs sponsoring the host club at VTR, it will be unpresidented in the entire history of any VTR convention. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

If there are multiple sponsors of the welcome party, it should be one of the best ever! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

10 weeks 3 days folks.

https://www.vtr2007.com

StagByTriumph
05-15-2007, 05:56 PM
It's on my calendar!

Only if you get that engine put back together Mickey. Is the expensive beer iced and ready for the engine install party? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

As of today, 9 weeks till VTR 2007 in Valley Forge!!

Don't miss this one! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

Mickey Richaud
05-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Beer's ALWAYS ready. Engine's not.

Maybe end of the week; more likely next week.

Gonna be close...

StagByTriumph
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Beer's ALWAYS ready. Engine's not.

Maybe end of the week; more likely next week.

Gonna be close...

Well it looks to be about 8 weeks to VTR 2007. So both the time and to-do list are getting shorter ...

StagByTriumph
06-02-2007, 05:58 PM
My handy "Stolle Precision Tool Co. Date Finder" shows just 6.5 weeks until VTR 2007 in Valley Forge PA.

If I recall correctly, June 1 was the date to register by to get a discount. But heck, you deep pocket types can afford the extra few bucks, so get online and submit your registration today!

According to the latest DVT convention press release, 100 confirmed registrants, but 190 reserved rooms! Cyphering x2 per room, that is 380 planned attendees? Come on, that is hardly enough to kick a keg.

I must be slipping on my grip to let this turd thread retreat back 7 pages! GET REGISTERED!!

You know this thread has been savored by over 2000 members of this Forum and is shown as a hot topic?

I suppose it is time to commit to a route, which at the present time is going to be a coin toss between the shortest or one through the Ozarks.

Any other caravans from the west??

Mickey Richaud
06-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey, Glenn -

We're still planning to attend. Hopefully, will have the engine back from the machine shop this coming week; just enough time to get it back in a put a few miles on it.

Down to the wire...

StagByTriumph
06-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I dunno Mickey, if you don't get the 8 going, does that mean you are driving the B? I'd have to let you drive in front to make it look good, and so I could push you up those hills!

Mickey Richaud
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
DANG, Glenn! The B belongs to the wife. Don't make me bring her in on this - wouldn't be pretty! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

StagByTriumph
06-02-2007, 07:40 PM
DANG, Glenn! The B belongs to the wife. Don't make me bring her in on this - wouldn't be pretty! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Well the Stags "officially" belong to my wife, so she comes along to pay my tickets.

So bring the wife, mine could use the company. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

When we get to your place, the women can drive together and we will whoop up and speed off! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Like that would go over well! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif

Mickey Richaud
06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Now, THERE'S a plan! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Mickey Richaud
06-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh, and by the way, I plan to have the A/C hooked up. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Bob_Muzio
06-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Guys,
Have fun at VTR, I wish I could make it. Maybe next year I'll fly to it as living on the west coast and having limited vacation time makes it a tough drive.
I read this thread when Glenn started it and then only came back to it today. I don't want to get everyone going again about the one day fee idea but as someone who has organized two Triumphests (Ventura in 2001 and Solvang in 2007, BTW there was a nice article in the April issue of Triumph World Magazine and possibly in TVT re: the '07 event), I'm acutely aware of the expense structure and what a registration fee helps defray. Some of the items are the program, name tags, awards, signage, venue fees (do you think those nice people at the airport made it available for the autocross for free?), insurance, the welcome party, postage, flyers, and registration forms, just to name a few. These expenses don't change if an attendee is there for one day or three days.
The organizing club should not be asked to undertake and subsidize the event. Some believe breaking even is acceptable, that's OK, but I believe that for it's efforts the club should make some sort of a profit.
At a president's meeting after Triumphest 2004 there was a discussion about increasing the registration fee. There, of course, were objections to that until one fellow suggested we look at the cars in the parking lot. He pointed out there was a lot of money invested in those cars and if a hobbiest will invest the money in his car he should also invest it in the events relating to the hobby so that the events and the hobby will prosper.
Just my two cents, have a great time, wish I could be there.
Bob Muzio

StagByTriumph
06-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi Guys,
I read this thread when Glenn started it and then only came back to it today. I don't want to get everyone going again about the one day fee idea but ...

Thanks Bob for that insight. It is always difficult planning such a large event and it is also great to have real experiences from past and present event planners such as yourself. But also understand that this discussion has been heard loud and clear by future host clubs.
This is what forums are all about, discussion and exchange of ideas, experiences and opinions for the benefit of the hobby. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grouphug.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]There, of course, were objections to that (Triumphest fee increase)until one fellow suggested we look at the cars in the parking lot. He pointed out there was a lot of money invested in those cars and if a hobbiest will invest the money in his car he should also invest it in the events relating to the hobby so that the events and the hobby will prosper.
Just my two cents, have a great time, wish I could be there.
Bob Muzio
[/QUOTE]

Bob, you probably know this is a subject I am a bit passionate about. You and I both know that a lot of people are just not "joiners or participants" for one reason or several. Maybe they were slighted or not made welcome at some event. There are a lot of lone enthusiasts out there and it is our job as organizers, chairmen, presidents and fellow enthusiasts to listen to our respective enthusiast base and provide for them what they need, when they need it. That is how we will keep this hobby alive, by providing the services that serve the widest range of enthusiasts.

I was at the Lake Tahoe Presidents meeting. What the observer failed to understand was that the cars in the lot were already there! What about the ones that were not there? I see this as a deficiency of attracting the individual enthusiast in my own club, but the reward in the end is winning over that enthusiast to enjoy watching them attend an event they never participated in before, like an auto cross or gymkhana, then rave about it for months and months later.

Every enthusiast is as unique as the car they are enthusiastic about. We can not serve the marque and secure the future of the hobby without the driver/enthusiast. Winning them over by getting them to actually participate, that is our job.

I am planning on Triumphest 2007 this year in Laughlin NV October 11-14 2007, so I hope to see you and many other participants there. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

toysrrus
06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi Folks;

I was at the Hellertown, PA Show (Approx. 206 LBCs): One of My Friends asked If there was going to be a "Car Corral" there? Meaning the VTR:

Its probably a Silly Question but; Is There going to be a "Car Corral"???

Regards, Russ

PS: He`s desperate for a Nice Driver TR3/A/B; Whichever:

Lionheart
06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I just made a reservation at the Sheraton for the 19th and 20th. I was surprised that this was still available.
I am not entering a car in the event, so what can I expect in the way of entry fees? I didn't see this on the website.

I may bring the Spit, but it wouldn't be entered in the show. More likely, I'd drive the Land Rover.

StagByTriumph
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Lionheart,
This should get you to the online registration form:

https://www.vtr2007.com/registerOnline.jsp

then scroll down for the fees.

Hope to see you there! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

StagByTriumph
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey, I just noticed they revised the registration rate structure - or I never noticed in the first place!

The DVT now have a special registration fee if you are attending without a car!!

$10 for a VTR member, $40 for non VTR members which includes your first year VTR membership!

Now how COOL is that!!!

GREAT!!

toysrrus
06-13-2007, 06:22 AM
"WOW";

Somebody Woke-Up and Really smelled the Roses!!

I believe that`s Great!

Regards, Russ

PS: Will there be a "Car Corral"???????

toysrrus
06-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi Folks;

"TO WHOM THIS MAY CONCERN"; I suspect a **** of a lot of People:

I just rec`d an email from the DVT regarding the Fees for the VTR: There`s just too much confusion and Questions so, I went right to the Head Gun for the Answers:

If you are a Member (VTR) & want to Register & Park your car on the Grounds (Also gets you in for All Days & Events); The cost is, Before June 15th, $90.00 / After June 15th, $100.00

There is "NO ONE DAY FEE" for anything: This is "Under Construction" for the Next VTR:

If your simply a Spectator (No car registered or allowed on the field); The Cost to the Public is "FREE"!!!!!!!

See Ya All there but My TR4A will be parked @ My House;

Regards, Russ

StagByTriumph
06-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Folks;

There is "NO ONE DAY FEE" for anything: This is "Under Construction" for the Next VTR:

If your simply a Spectator (No car registered or allowed on the field); The Cost to the Public is "FREE"!!!!!!!

See Ya All there but My TR4A will be parked @ My House;

Regards, Russ

I am not sure why there is confusion.

I don't see why you can't bring your TR4A Russ if you are going to stop by and visit. There will be a lot of people just visiting to meet up with other folks they know from all around the country. I have local friends who will be stopping by for beer and eats, ride in the Stag, etc. And for the day of the judging, a lot of people drive their LBC's and other classics and sport cars to see the cars on display. I bet one of my friends takes the day off and rides his Hog Road King Fat Boy to the show, and another may have his 1968 Bonneville.
That is all free for spectators no mater what they drive to the event. The Triumph gestapo will not track you down and rob your wallet just for driving a Triumph to park on the street!

So drive your Triumph and see more Triumphs and meet more Triumph enthusiasts! That does not cost anything other than gas in your tank

Participation in all the activities - that is what the fees cover.

Look at it this way: If you attend just one technical session in person but do not register a car for competition, well that technical session is more than worth the $40. And there will be about 8-9 technical 2 hour sessions that your $40 gets you in to experience, plus you get a year membership in VTR that gives you 6 "The Vintage Triumph" magazines.

If you are not registering a car, man, it is so completely worth the $40 to attend all or any one of the workshops and tech sessions.

So I hope to see you there with your fellow club members and other Triumph Enthusiasts, whether you are visiting and watching or registered and participating.

toysrrus
06-15-2007, 05:20 AM
Hi Glen;

I suspect your Right!

I will bring the TR4 down: Where I`ll be able to park it is a Good Question but I`m certain It`ll be amongst other Marques of the same or similar Vintage so I won`t have to be concerned that at the end of the day; I`ll have to walk 120mi back home!

See You There;

Thanx for the Pep Talk;

Regards, Russ