PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Granddaughter in TR6

AngliaGT
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a '741/2 TR6.
How could I legally drive my Granddaughter,
Lilly,around in it?I don't think that the stock
seatbelt system will work with a child seat.
I want to expose her to the "Joys of British Cars".
She'll be 2 on March 17th.

- Doug

02-05-2007, 04:41 AM
If safety is a concern, don't do it. A 2-year-old wouldn't remember it anyway. I hate to be a spoil-sport but there is no way one can install a rear-facing child seat in your car that would be effective. Remember this, if you have the original seat belt and shoulder harness in the car, you have no protection at all, less than none with the strain of a child seat. The seat bottom on a TR6 is so small that it would never fit any child seat on the market. Just putter up and down the driveway while in her mother's arms, revving the engine.

I guess the memory is more for you, as it would be for me (if I had a grandkid yet!).

Brosky
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
I waited 8 years to legally and safely take my nephews for a ride in mine. It's just not worth taking a chance at that age.

bobh
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I agree with Bill and Paul. It's dangerous and she won't remember it.
You do have the option to set her in the car with you and have some photo's taken. You may even want to get a professional to take the pictures. In 10 years you and her can sit down and talk about the Triumph while you're going through your pictures.

AngliaGT
02-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Thank you all.I wanted to think this out
before I did anything.
My Wife was against it,& part of me wanted to
prove her wrong.
I still want to expose her to the joys of a
simpler time, & cars with a personality.
Our oldest Son will never forget our runs together
in the TR,& now he has his own (we have one on each
coast - California & Florida).

- Doug

kodanja
02-06-2007, 07:42 AM
theres always the trunk.......just kidding!

Adrio
02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I agree with everyones safety concerns. What I did with my kids (about 10 years ago now I think) was to have small four point harnesses made custom for them. They were better then any belts found in car seats. Now mind you the kids were big enough to be in front facing seats before I took them so you may be in a different situation.

I have a piture posted at https://ca.geocities.com/adrio@rogers.com/Tr3/triumph.html

Since then in my juristiction they have changed the law and made it explicit that the kids must be in approved seats or boosters (depending on weight) until the reach a certain weight. At that point I took the belts out of the car so I could not take keds any more.

YankeeTR
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Not to be a spoil sport but...

It just seems odd that I can put a 2 year old in a helmet and take 'em for a ride on my motorcycle but can't take them for a ride in my car.

tomshobby
02-06-2007, 12:49 PM
So why restrict them to riding? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

https://www.smithtr6.com/images/forum_pics/new_driver.jpg

TR_Jim
02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
They don't have to go for a ride to be fascinated. My granddaughter has been beepin' my horn since she was just over a year old. And they do remember.

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/67jim68/ang10.jpg

GB1
02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
To steal one from the Doc.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

hehehe

Brosky
02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
This is my nephew and me after an ice cream run this summer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

spineguru
02-06-2007, 10:17 PM
When I was 2, my parents , our dog and I traveled from Omaha to Los Angeles in the TR3. That's a couple thousand miles I would guess. Back then (1969), there was no talk of safety. It was just another car (although a very cool car), and if you had to haul your kid somewhere in it, you did it.

By the way, I don't remember one moment of it, and there is no chance I would do that today. My kids are 6, 8, and 10, and I do take them out for drives, but I stay off the main roads as much as possible.