PDA

View Full Version : looking for Emmisions expert

Zer
01-12-2004, 10:12 AM
My 1975 Spitfire had all the emmision stuff ripped out by the P.O. as it was not needed in his area. My problem is that to qualify for collector plates ( Cheap insurance ) I have to pass air care once ( Stupid ). So if I was to take a couple of picture of the engine is there somebody out there I could send them to and they could tell me what is missing. Thanks Zer

Rob DeScherer
01-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Zer --
If you have either the Moss or Roadster factory catalogs, you should be able to toell which parst are missing. Especially the Roadster Factory, because their catalogs are very detailed by year of the car.

steve99
01-12-2004, 08:12 PM
In 75 in the US (pre un-leaded gas), the only things the car should have had would be a PCV system and maybe an EGR, I dont think you would have had a cat-con or an air pump then. I believe un-leaded began to appear in 76 in the US.

ObiRichKanobi
01-13-2004, 12:54 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>I believe un-leaded began to appear in 76 in the US. <hr></blockquote>

Unleaded made it's appearance in 1974...I had a 1975 Monza that required it.

Bob Claffie
01-13-2004, 01:42 AM
If my '71 MGB had an air pump and all the other associated garbage I can't believe Triumph escaped without it. My Spitfire manual (Haynes) is very vague about the cut in dates. I don't believe my '76 Spit required a cat converter but it should have had an air pump etc. Gone compliments of the PO. My guess is that all that crap came in around the time of the accursed Stromberg carb set-up. Bob

Twinkie
01-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Zer, I recommend going to Jaguars Plus in North Vancouver if you have trouble getting the car plassed yourself. He always managed to get my '78 with twin SU's through every year, he's not Aircare certified, just good at what he does.
I'm sure that a '75 has the air pump, charcoal canisters, etc. but It might not have needed a cat convertor....

78Z
01-13-2004, 11:52 AM
here's part of it: https://www.triumphspitfire.com/emissions.html

I'm look in my Bentley manual in the next couple of days.