PDA

View Full Version : extra brake lights

Paul Johnson
02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I've just installed a set of very bright LED auxilliary brake lights on the 6. They fit nicely inside the hardtop and are not really visible when off. They flash frantically for five seconds and then remain on. Very pleased with them as it gets people's attention but does not scar up the appearance of the car. Whatcha think?

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/379888293_97cc5193ce.jpg

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/379888289_790456a185.jpg

02-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Nice install. Worth the effort. How in the world did you get your brake lights to come on without someone in the driver's seat? Were you in there laying down?

Bugeye58
02-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Bill, in Texas they have this marvelous thing called a broomstick. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

02-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Bill, in Texas they have this marvelous thing called a broomstick. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

Dang, so my Oreck wouldn't work here....

Brosky
02-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Paul, I think that they look great! I also always wondered what my car would look like with a hardtop installed and yours is close enough in color to show me. Not bad!!

But what do you do when the hard roof is off and the convertible top is either up or down? Where exactly are these lights mounted?

Paul Johnson
02-04-2007, 09:09 PM
<How in the world did you get your brake lights to come on without someone in the driver's seat?>
I had to press the pedal and then run really, really fast. (Old mechanic's trick to use a pry bar or long screwdriver to hold the pedal down.)

<Where exactly are these lights mounted?>
You'll see in the photo the rear hardtop mounting bolt. To that I attached a General Motors starter shim cut to size with the light stuck to it. The light harness dips down behind the back panel. I tapped into the car harness above the wheel arch. Should have included this photo. Lights came from Hyper-Lite.

<But what do you do when the hard roof is off and the convertible top is either up or down?>
Hardtop is permanent now and the soft top is resting in the garage rafters.

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/380014044_3119828dc5.jpg

Brosky
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Ah, hah! Those pics explain a lot. Thanks!

myspitfire
02-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Great job;And another SUV INTIMINATOR.When i put my highmount on my Spitfire,they definately do stop ONLY because of the glare:-).....If i'm not mistaken the Spitfire factory boys installed rear FOGS that served the same purpose right,correct me if i'm wrong.(kinda low down around the bumper area?)
Ken&WhiteLightning

Tomster
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I have mounted two amber (R+L) signal arrays as well as a red center brake array in the metal strip above the windshield frame and the soft top. Will eventually post photos.
What brand of LED array did you use?
Cost of array?
Time spent swearing at project?

rporter
02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Excellent. I knew I was not the only one who liked the factory hardtop over the convertable. My car is dark blue with panasports. Good look. I put a central third light visible just above the gas filler. It also flashes several times and then stays on. FYI my son just moved to the north side of Dallas so wave at him on the freeway. He has a Ford F150 probably no one else has that kind of ride in Dallas right.

dklawson
02-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I added a modified JC Whitney LED brake light to the Mini. I mounted it up as high as I could to get the attention of most cars that might be following me.

I really like the idea of the small, strobing LEDs that you found. Would you share where you got them and how much they cost? It would be nice to add something like that to the hatch of the GT6.