PDA

View Full Version : convertible top question

bigbadbluetr6
01-09-2004, 02:19 AM
I am looking to purchse a new top from the Roadstar Factory for my TR6. I already know what color i want but then they have 3 options on what type of material it is made out of. I was wondering which of the three are the best. They have the plan Robbins top, the British Everlast top and the Surfast Canvas. Which one would be the best to purchase. The robbins is on sale for $295, the British is $445, and the Surfast is $460. Money really isn't an options because i want to purchase the best top for my car because i plan on having it for some years to come. Any advice would help.
Eric
73 TR6

01-09-2004, 07:19 AM
Eric,
I believe what they sell is the British Everflex and the Robbins SunFast, both made by Robbins in California. The Everflex is a good two-ply top, vinyl on the outside. The SunFast is the top of the line three-ply with canvas showing on both sides. Both are a challenge to put on. As we speak I am installing my new SunFast top on my TR6 replacing the torn Everflex. Stretch is everything.

Bill

Steven
01-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Amco used to make a great top for the TR6. It was sold out of California, was easy on the wallet and very durable. Mine has been on my TR6 for 15 years and its good for another 10 at least. They were also very easy to install. All the extraneous button snaps were already pre-installed. Robbins tops might be ok, but they were a bitch to instally. I had to take the top frame into the house to work on it. Don't forget to check out Victoria British for tops. coolgleam.gif

Mickey Richaud
01-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Eric -

I just got a tan sunfast top for the MGB that I'm restoring from the Roadster Factory. It was special order, but only took a couple of weeks. Great looking top, and it will be a while before it gets installed, but I was really impressed with the turnaround time.

I put an Everflex top on my TR3, also purchased from the Roadster Factory, and have had no problems with it. Either one will serve you well.

Mickey

Rick O.
01-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Before you do any buying, check AABest Co's tops. You will be pleased with the price and quality. I highly recommend their Stayfast offerings.

bigbadbluetr6
01-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Hey thanks guys. I live 15 minutes away from Vic British so i'm thinking i might just buy the Everflex top that is bisque and matching my interior. If i would buy one from The Roadster Factory it would be a little darker of a color and i would have to pay the shipping too. So right now i'm thinking about buying the top from Vic British just because it is just right down the road. Thanks again
Eric
What are the web sites for Amco and aa co's tops?

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: bigbadbluetr6 ]</p>

Geo Hahn
01-14-2004, 10:50 PM
...web sites for Amco...?

I don't think Amco is with us any more. Too bad, I was pleased with their fit & quality when I used them.

BTW -- Anyone who is looking for a good price on a Robbins top might want to check with Britsh Parts NW. I don't usually order from them as I have a local Moss supplier but they had an amazingly low price on a top for my TR4 awhile back.

Rick O.
01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
AA Best Co. is at https://aabestco.com/

Rick O.

Steven
01-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Upon doing some research, Amco convertible tops are still available....check out this website:

https://www.teamtriumph.com
You have to call them for prices, but they sure as **** used to be the best quality around for a fair price, and simple to install, with a great fit. graemlins/driving.gif

Mark Beiser
01-15-2004, 12:59 AM
I'll never willingly purchase another Robbins top as long as I live.

5 tops, 3 different kinds of cars. 2 installed by me, 3 installed by professionals. Not one of them truely fit correctly....

Other people have never had a problem with thier tops though, so its probably just that I suck. graemlins/cryin.gif

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: Mark Beiser ]</p>

Steven
01-15-2004, 12:32 PM
No, it's that Robbins tops suck. I had such a freaking hard time putting one on that i gave it up and bought an Amco. I had the Amco top installed in less than an hour. coolgleam.gif

Jon12
01-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Does any one know if the convertible top from Victoria British for $199 is any good? I've been using hard top or none at all for almost a year

Steven
01-19-2004, 06:53 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences with Victoria British, if that helps. Amco convertible tops were the best quality for the best price, and by far the easiest to install. They fit like a glove. All buttons and snaps are already pre-installed. Check out this website and call them for pricing.Amco Convertible tops (https://www.teamtriumph.com) images/icons/grin.gif

StuartTR6
04-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Try these guys:-
https://www.prestigeautotrim.com/

They're are in the UK and do excellent seat, interior trim, carpet packages also. graemlins/driving.gif