PDA

View Full Version : Ebay shenanigans

02-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I have heard so many horror stories about folks buying cars off of ebay that it makes me cringe. Some time back I put my name in the hat to join the "ebay crowd" and decided that they wanted entirely too much info for me to be comfortable. Then I went through the process of trying to get off of ebay. Not an easy thing to do. It's like they want to own you. I actually got veiled threats from ebay saying things like "if you ever get off, you will never be able to get back on", etc. Really ugly stuff. It took me 6 months to clear my info from them. I actually changed my email address and dropped a credit car number to be able to rid myself of their persistent aggravations. Ebay. You can have it. I peruse occasional sites on ebay now and only contact the seller directly if they allow such. Don't want it. Don't need it.

Scott_Hower
02-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I've bought and sold hundreds of items since 98 and never been burned (one bad check, I no longer take checks).

I keep a seperate bank account for eBay transactions. Same with a credit card.

As an emarket, it cant be beat.

tdskip
02-03-2007, 09:49 AM
My experience has been very similar to Scott's - I only had one bad experience and that was probably at least partially my fault. You have to be careful, read the descriptions carefully, and ask lots of questions.

I can't image how much of a pain it would be to try to score some of the deals I have without it.

It's not for everyone, and I agree that the number of scam listings is a bit concerning....

Sorry they made it hard for you to leave Bill, you should be able to exit without any hassle.

terriphill
02-03-2007, 10:31 AM
The very first thing we ever bought on e-bay was a 1986 Toyota Supra that we never saw in person until we drove the $900 miles to pick it up. Since then we have bought 6 cars on e-bay. The only one we really got burned on was the MG Midget. The seller claimed it ran, but the reality was that the motor was TOAST. This means we overpaid for the car,(by around $300-$400) but we knew we would break it down and rebuild it when we bought it.
Now for a question (which is why a midget owner is on the Triumph page) Our last purchase came with a 1969 Triumph Motor thrown in, what size is it? Is this a 1275? Is it interchangable like the 1500? Thanks T:)

guzzul
02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
If its a '69 engine, it is probably 1296cc.

Is there an engine number engraved on it? Look on the top LH side of the cylinder head by the rocker-cover at the rear of the engine. If the prefix is FD or FK it is a 1296cc from a Spitfire MkIII or MkIV.

Are you thinking of interchanging the 1300cc with a 1500cc in the Midget? Or in a Triumph (e.g. Spitfire)?

Tinkerman
02-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Bill, I have to echo Scott's ebay experience. I have had well over 300 buy and sell transactions and all have been satisfactory. One time the high bidder never paid for the item. I reported it to ebay and they relisted the item for no charge. Without a doubt my TR items have gone very smoothly AND I have scored some good buys on some NOS stuff that just is not available from the parts houses. The one primary thing is reading the feedback and asking questions.

Cheers, Tinkerman

Mickey Richaud
02-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Just sold the old top and boot for my TR8, as I replaced them (black) with new tan ones. Both were original, and in good shape - the boot actually excellent. The high bidder for the boot mistakenly bid, thinking he was bidding on the top. He was one dollar higher than the next bid. I contacted the second bidder and sold it to him, excusing the first. No problems - all is well, and everyone's happy.

Again, it's a matter of communication (and probably some luck!), but my experiences have been so far so good...

Mickey

TR4nut
02-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Bill-

I got into Triumphs over 20 years ago mainly because I loved being a junkyard dog, trolling for replacement spares at the local wrecking yards back when you could actually find Triumphs there. Ebay has given me back this virtual junkyard. I think I would be extremely cautious buying a car on it, just as I would from a junkyard, but for parts I still think it can't be beat.

Randy

TheAssociate
02-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Ebay is a great swap meet for British car parts. I don't think I would like to go back to the time when I didn't have it. I remember on previous vehicles fixing, braising hammering welding old parts to try to get them to work - where now I can keep those questionable parts for spares.

I don't know why you are having so much trouble with Ebay. You main frustration with Ebay seems to be with cancelling your account - which they probably intentionally make hard or difficult so that scam artists don't just open and close accounts all day long.

Works for me.

Adam H.
__________________________________________________ __________
1973 Triumph Spitfire

terriphill
02-03-2007, 09:22 PM
OK found the number, FE85145E...any help? We actually thought it was a 1295 from a earlier midget. The guy who is rebuilding my 1500 motor for me has asked for it in exchange for knocking a few bucks off the cost of his work, but I don't want to haul it over htere if its not what he needs and I sure would like to be able to tell him more acurately what it is. (I'm learning....) Thanks T:)

foxtrapper
02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I actually got veiled threats from ebay saying things like "if you ever get off, you will never be able to get back on", etc. Really ugly stuff. It took me 6 months to clear my info from them.
That's really hard to believe. Almost unbelievable.

Had a friend start up an ebay account with a dangerous ID accidently. When I saw it I pointed out the danger. We contacted e-bay, and in about 10 minutes the account was erased, and we set up a new account, with a much safer ID.

AngliaGT
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
The thing I really don't like about eBay
is that you can't talk to a real person if you
have a problem.
I got stiffed by a bidder who I gave bad
feedback to.He gave me bad feedback,so it cost
me $20 to get it removed (I also had to remove his
as well).This guy was later banned from eBay.
I felt like I should have gotten my money back.

- Doug

jeff3113
02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I have to admit that it took me awhile to learn lessons on Ebay. I've made some nice $$ selling off my TR6 parts. I've also got stung when a kid used his dad's Ebay account to rid himself of bad items. His dad was the innocent victim.
I've NEVER had a reason to doubt the integrity of the ebay folks. I will admit their rates are starting to get a bit high - including paypal. That said, I balance the $$ I get with letting things sit on my garage shelves for years. AIn't going to get that kind of response from a newspaper ad or yard sale.

Seems it's getting popular to the criminal element to abuse with fake ebay accounts and merchandise. Beware - when in doubt walk away - or better yet, report it.

jeff

habaneronut
02-04-2007, 12:32 AM
All of these on-line outfits seem to be the same. Practically took me an act of Congress to get loose from AOL.

BTW, got me some nice looking rubber gaskets for my bonnet hinges, now, Bill. Thanks!!

Fred

Andrew Mace
02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
OK found the number, FE85145E...any help? We actually thought it was a 1295 from a earlier midget.That would be a circa 1970 Spitfire 1296.
The guy who is rebuilding my 1500 motor for me has asked for it in exchange for knocking a few bucks off the cost of his work, but I don't want to haul it over htere if its not what he needs and I sure would like to be able to tell him more acurately what it is. (I'm learning....) Thanks T:) These are rather desirable motors (other than the camshaft itself) amongst some Spitfire folks; later 1296s (FH, FK) and 1500s had rather less satisfactory and durable big ends with smaller bearings.

Gwilhelm
02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I started an ebay business selling used laptops. It was going well till I got an idiot who claims he never got the package. He is still trying to get his money back even though DHL confirms delivery and it was fully insured with a signature requirement. There are scammers everywhere...

bravenrace
02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I've been using Ebay for many years, and the only time I had a problem was in buying a car sight unseem. I know many people have done this successfully, but I'll never do it again. The deals aren't what they used to be, but it's still a very good source for finding rare parts. I actually first saw my TVR on Ebay, but then went to look at it and made the deal separate from Ebay.

YankeeTR
02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I've been buying and selling since 1999.

I've had three bad deals...one minister (!) sent me the wrong guitar processor then failed to send me the other one ($80.00). Another guy advertised an early Hemi trans adaptor that wasn't ($40.00) and another failed to send me a plasma cutter ($650.00)...I was trucking then and I went to his place in Marietta, Ga.

I got my machine...

I've bought several cars/trucks on ebay...two ' 95 Lincolns, my '98 F150, three TR's. a '47 Plymouth and several hot rod projects.

I've also sold about a dozen cars, many engines and parts, etc. Plus I've sold eight sets of my TR-2/3 door wood kits in three weeks.

Lately, I've been selling a lot of stuff to Europe and Japan...even Australia. I use Airmail Priority for shipping. And PayPal for payment. No problems with overseas buyers and, with the dollar value pretty low compared to some currencies, they are willing to pay more than US buyers.

I did have a "spoof email" show up on my last TR2 deal but I let ebay know about it...and I spotted it right away.

Except for the three shaky deals, I've been very satisfied.

terriphill
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
My 18 year old son who is inot rebuilding Toyota Supras deals almost exclusively on e-bay for his parts since his only other alternative is the "stealership" as he calls it. Last fall he actually bought a Supra with no motor for $100 parted it out on e-bay. He made nearly $800 in spending money and then sold what was left ot a junk yard for $100. It was fun watching him earn his Christmas cash. We only had one guy who ripped us off and he claimed he never got the trunk struts we sent...my son did not get a tracking number so he had no choice but to refund his money. The guy actually sold them on e-bay about two weeks later.
Anyway, its easy to get taken advantage of, but its also a great way to clean out the garage and make a little extra cash. Its also a lifesaver if you are into cars that are not easy to find a local scrap yards. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Cheapsnake
02-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I often wonder, how did anyone work on project cars before ebay? Middle of February, temp hovering around zero and I'm collecting parts from the comfort of my easy chair. Ain't life grand?

terriphill
02-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Around here you worked on Fords or Chevys cause they are about the only cars in our scrap yards. The toyota Supra is rare, but we occasionally can find one....I've seen one MG in all our junk yard diving, but it was almost unusable by the time I found it. There is no way we could do this if we had to rely on all new parts from catalogues. I guess a lot of people learned how to make their own.