PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A Throw out bearing

TRclassic3
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Has anyone had occassion to use the Aetna brand throw out bearing supplied by TRF?

Thanks
Ed

Don Elliott
02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I can't remember if the last one I put in is from TRF and what brand it was but it's been OK since June 2004. I've done 12,000 miles during that time. The one before that had a short life and I believe it was also from TRF. The two before that were SKF bearings that I bought locally and the first lasted quite a long time. The 2nd one was rotten. Who knows why they don't last. I drive a lot of highway touring and I don't ride the clutch.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A - 94,000 miles since 1990

https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

AweMan
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Geeze I must be lucky I`v had my 57 Tr-3 sence 1965 and I know I have never replaced the throw out berring Oh O, Oh No { Now I need to go knock on wood}
Admittedly the car has sat for long durations with out actually bieng driven, yet I have put substantial miles on it too.
Manufactured in 1956 titled in 1957
TS 12909 l. o.

TRclassic3
02-02-2007, 02:14 PM
The one I just took was a Green and sounded like a baby rattle. The one from TRF is much more substantial. Looks different as well. Very flat, thick metal that would contact the fingers.

Geo Hahn
02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
'Green' lasted 5K miles in my TR4... put the (probably) original TOB back in. A 40-year-old 'Made in England' bearing is preferable to the unknown new.

Alan_Myers
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi,

A lot of TO bearing failures have to do with improper installation. The bearing needs to be lubed and spun during installation, all the while carefully (as in squarely) pressed into place. Otherwise it will very likely get tweaked and it will not last long. Unfortunately, this is contrary to many installers methods (I've done it wrong myself, more than once I'm afraid). And I bet the bearings get blamed for the failure and labelled as "junk". Some probably aren't as good as others, but they ain't really rocket science either.

See https://www.the-roadster-factory.com for info on how to properly install a TR TO bearing and a tool they offer to make the installation easier... or if preferred a pre-installed bearing already on its carrier and ready to go.