PDA

View Full Version : Scam or reasonable deal?

John_Mc
01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Not that I have the funds to be in the market for one, but I was browsing ebay and noticed this GT6+. (https://watchsecure.4mg.com/1971-Triumph-GT6-MK3-beautiful_W0QQitemZ160080398977QQihZ012QQcategoryZ 6469QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.htm) Seems pretty good if the car is in the condition it appears. What would a reasonable price be for such a car? Just curious, since unfortunately I'm not shopping for one....yet. Personally, I'm suspicious of this auction.

roofman
01-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Does look like a possible good deal.

TR_Jim
01-30-2007, 07:02 PM
This is another one of those listings that is re-directed from the ebay site to another site with a different seller. I wouldn't trust the listing. Another indication of a scam is that the price seems way too low, and no photos of the interior or under the bonnet.

Andrew Mace
01-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I gotta agree...something's awfully fishy about that redirect! Time to contact eBay?

tony barnhill
01-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Plus, where's it located? Notify ebay & I'll be it disappears.

roofman
01-30-2007, 07:48 PM
If you go to ebay home page and type in the item number, it shows nothing with that listing number. SCAM
Also there is no provision to watch the item. SCAM

guzzul
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
It was on Freeserve (certainly not ebay). I just tried it and got a "file not found" message. Scam for sure.

I don't know how these guys can get ebay pages to 'flip' to their own websites.

Usually this is done by sending you something within a page that causes your browser to select another page, but in these cases it must have to come from the ebay page you're on, and hence it must be coming from the ebay server.

Maybe they hide the applet from ebay by embedding it in the photo uploaded with the listing?

roofman
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
When I first looked at it it didn't have that "flip" but then it did. All these spoof ads also have something missing. This one had no provision to watch the ad, and others will not have the "report this site" feature at the bottom. I emailed for fun this one and the last one and never got response. You would think the scammer would contact. The "flip" makes it so obvious. Another way to tell is to go to ebay home page and type in the item number. I did on this one and no item came up. It is probably only a matter of time before they get better at this.
Ebay should ban the private auctions ( for pre approved bidders) also, seems like most of these are scams.

John_Mc
01-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I reported it yesterday and it's gone now.