PDA

View Full Version : Tips on installing a new turn signal switch

tdskip
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I figured that the turn signal switch rod breaking off was a pretty good sign that it was time to install a switch.

So I've got he old switch mount loose but am thinking that one of you has done the recently and can provide some coaching on how best to run the new wires down the steering column.

Any tips for me?

Thanks!

DNK
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Tour going to have to loosen everything up to do it right and have less hassles.

SCguy
01-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I've tried stuffing the wires through... Definately easiest to just loosen everthing up and do it right!

roofman
01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Make sure they do not get pinched when you retighten the bracket.

Andrew Mace
01-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I agree with all the above. On any Triumph using that Herald-based steering column, I find it easiest to actually remove the "conduit" piece that runs under the column to conceal the wires. That can be done by removing the clamping nut/bolt on the lower part of the conduit and then loosening the bolts on the upper column support enough to slide the conduit downward and disengage the tab at the top.

Geo Hahn
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Above is the correct way. OTOH, there is my way. I recently added an overdrive switch to the column and needed to feed the wires down thru that 'dagger'. I took a length of 1/4" irrigation tubing (the shiny black plastic kind), cut the end at an angle and fed it up thru the dagger until it appeared around the switch area. Then it was just a matter of attaching the wires to it (I think I pushed one bullet into the tubing and taped the other along side that wire) and pulling it down thru.

Well it worked and might save you some disassembly, otherwise taking it apart is the sure way to get there.

tdskip
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys!

Flinkly
01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
i lack the understanding as to why you wouldn't take it apart to begin with. i guess it's like climbing a mountain, just to see if you can do it.

kodanja
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
i lack the understanding as to why you wouldn't take it apart to begin with. i guess it's like climbing a mountain, just to see if you can do it.
Taking it apart is the easy part, getting it back together correctly is the challange!