PDA

View Full Version : Found on Utube: This is sad...

gsalt57tr3
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-YjwLUw_w

YankeeTR
01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't say it's sad....only disappointing that he hasn't taken better care of it.

But it makes all of the others worth more...

billspit
01-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I've seen dozens of cars like this. The owners are always going to "fix it up one day" and won't let them go.

MadRiver
01-30-2007, 12:07 PM
The narrator stated that it would cost between $6k and $10k to do if he did the work himself. I have some news for him -- expect to spend a tad bit more than that.

Flinkly
01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
worth less than a used toaster? wouldn't a car like that still demand a couple hundred? it looks like all sorts of parts are worth salvaging and if the car is something special...

i'd love to have a tr4...

cyaker
01-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Did anyone notice the Fifth Gear story on a modified TR-5 from Racetorations in the YouTube listings beside it. I had not seen it before.
Good to give a little respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u68Th-qPGM

Harry_Ward
01-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Missed that as well, Thanks!

kodanja
01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
why not start on the project today!?

Scott_Hower
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
why not start on the project today!?

Great question.

Judging from all the stuff laying around the yard; this project will never be started. Honestly, if you had any intention of restoring it, wouldn't you garage it, or at least cover it? No way that car will ever be restored. Ever. I'd imagine the hood alone is worth hundreds to the right shop.

Seems like the owner takes more joy in bragging about owning an early wreck than an actual runner.

There ought to be a statute of limitation on cars like this. After a certain time period, you either commit to a restoration or it goes to auction for the highest bidder.

Ok, maybe not. I've had two martinis /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

trrdster2000
01-31-2007, 11:38 AM
The sad part for me, I have all the parts to fix this in the basement, even a rear clip and I bet this guy wouldn't sell it , "I'll get to it", is always what I hear.

Wayne

kodanja
01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
it'll rot away before he gets to it!

Harry_Ward
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
The previous owner (retired boss and close friend) of my 3 held onto the car for almost twenty years without ever getting it operational. The car just sat between three job moves in two different states, one divorce, with zero rebuild time. As a teenager he had a Singer and really thought the 3 would bring back some of those glory days. Upon retirement he moved to a condominium with no garage so he gave the car to me. He could not deal with the thought of leaving it outside again which he had to do for a couple of those twenty years. It took me about two years to get the car presentable unknown to him and I asked him to meet me for lunch. I parked out front of the restaurant and when he got there I handed him the keys and told him it was time to go for that ride he promised me in 1977. He almost started crying as he stood there just looking at it for about half an hour. He then handed me back the keys and said, "It's yours now lets go get a pint a Guinness." I will never forget him or that day and that as he says is exactly why he gave me the car.

kodanja
01-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Great story Harry!!!