PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR-8 EGR on a Spitfire?

CaptDon01
01-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm looking to re-smog my 1980 Spitfire /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif and the EGR valve diaphram is shot, so the valve is no good. New Spitfire EGR valves are un-available. However, I noticed that the EGR valve for the TR-8 looks the same in the VB catalog,(they have 2 EGR valves), and are available. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I live only a few miles from VB, so I'll probably have them pull one to inspect next to my valve. Has anyone used one of these on a Spitfire? I probably can get a used Spitfire EGR vavle, but I'm sure it's operational days would be numbered too.

Don

Paul Johnson
01-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Not likely. EGR valves are calibrated to the engine. With a TR8 valve you'd likely have what feels like a large vacuum leak.

This quote is from a Nissan text from which I used to teach this stuff. "EGR systems are designed and calibrated to function in a particular application. EGR valve sizes and shapes, diaphragm sizes, spring rates, and orifice restrictions are all variables that will affect system operation. Because of this, components should never be swapped from one model or year to another, even if they appear identical."