PDA

View Full Version : HVDA conversion

fad64b
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Just a few questions for those experienced with the HVDA conversion. I am planning to install the toyota trans in my TR3, I just purchased a used gearbox with 90k on it.

1. What is the recommended gear oil for the W58 gearbox?

2. I see the drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox but where do you add the oil?

3. Is there anything else I should do to the transmission before installing??

Thanks

Brosky
01-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I can't help with 1 & 2, but I would pull it apart before installing it in my car. Those units are really built well, but you never know how it's been driven and 90K is a definite mile marker for a tear down / inspection before installing again.

fad64b
01-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I really do not want to tear down the gearbox that's why I took my time to find a low millage (90k) with a good front bearing and tight shifter bushing.. I was hoping there are enough members on this site with these 5 speed conversions that would chime in with there experiences..

01-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I bought a remanufactured one. Cost was close to 1k (more with shipping). It sat for more than the warranty period before being installed, and when it went in leaked oil like crazy from the rear seal. A new one had to be fitted, which meant that it had to come back out.

If you got one that doesn't leak, and that feels fine change the oil and put it in. Given my experience, you can hardly do any worse!

YankeeTR
01-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd use GM Syncromesh Fluid..available from many sources and brand names.

It seems that this stuff works pretty good in all manual transmissions with and without OD.

richards
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I purchased a rebuilt w58 Toyota trans for $900.
Peace of mind? I hope.

Before you do the HVDA conversion, be aware of the
specifications of the clutch stack height. The instructions tell you about that.
Be sure to use a throw-out bearing that Herman recommends.

My trans shifts great, although at idle speed, there is some "whirring" sounds from the trans or t.o bearing which I
cannot identify.

01-29-2007, 01:11 PM
although at idle speed, there is some "whirring" sounds from the trans or t.o bearing which I
cannot identify.

Hmmm, Paul, I bet you are an expert on "whirring" sounds from a throwout bearing, eh?

richards
01-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Tell ME MORE about the "wirring" sound from the t.o. bearing.
What do you know?
Please, please.

Is there a t.o. disaster in my future

gsalt57tr3
01-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't have a whirring sound in mine.

And as far as the technical aspects of the installation, I had someone else do it. He was dubious about the process but found that it went in pretty easy. Mine was his first, but has done several since.

MNColin
01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I am working on a complete restoration, Hoever I will be installing HVDA Conversion

Here are some usefull web sites that I had found on the Toyota Tranny.

https://www.drivetrain.com/transilltoyota_w56.html

https://www.drivetrain.com/toyota_W_4_5spd.html

https://www.celicasupra.com/w58teardown/csw58.html

Good Luck