PDA

View Full Version : Jim Clark and Triumphs?

karls59tr
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I've heard that he used to race Triumphs in his early days. I wonder if he ever raced a "3"? Pictures?

Geo Hahn
01-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking he had a TR2 and that I read a story many years back about someone in the UK who bought a much-used TR2 and flipping through the log book came upon his name and town among the prior owners.

kc_doyle
01-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I saw Jim Clark and his Lotis at the Mile in Milwaukee the year he won Indy. It looked like he was out for a Sunday dive. It was an awesome thing to behold. He would pass anywhere he chose. The Milw. Mile is a narrow track hand he just motored around it whistling.

NickMorgan
01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Jim Clark did have a small mouth TR3 for a while. I was told by a local farmer who used to know him that it was an ex-Scottish motor show car and had various parts polished and chromed under the bonnet. As far as I know it has been lost. There was an advert in the early 60s for it in a Scottish Borders newspaper, but no one knows where it is now. I think he did a couple of hill climbs in it, but it wasn't a specially prepared car, and I don't think he used it for any races. There is a picture of the TR in one of the books about Jim Clark. I am sorry I am not sure which book, though! I do remember that the car had an Edinburgh registration number, though.

YankeeTR
01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I saw Jim Clark and his Lotis at the Mile in Milwaukee the year he won Indy. It looked like he was out for a Sunday dive. It was an awesome thing to behold. He would pass anywhere he chose. The Milw. Mile is a narrow track hand he just motored around it whistling.
KC...My dad and I were at the same race!

NickMorgan
02-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Just found this web site and there is a picture of Jim Clark in his TR3 in the "old TR Pictures" section. https://www.triumph-tr3.nl/index1.htm
The quality of the cars on this site makes me realise that my car is very scruffy!