PDA

View Full Version : replacing the diff mounts

jackag91
01-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Is there any secret to lowering the diff enough to change out the front rubbers? Do you have to pull off the drive axels?

forgot: it's a tr6

71tr
01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I think this might be possible but I have not done it. If you are unable to drop the diff because the half shafts hit the frame how about this; remove your rear coil springs first as this might allow the trailing arms to rise sufficiently for the halfshafts to angle down a bit more and create the proper clearance.

jackag91
01-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a bigger project than I wanted (for my first one)..by project I mean replacing the bushings, I knew the car was going to consume my life for the next few years.

I am sure it will go something like this.

The diff is hanging on the exhuast, so I will take that off from the headers back and have them cleaned and repaint them...oh what's that the diff is still not dropping enough, so I will pull the drive axels...well since I have them off, I might as well replace the ujoints...well since I am replacing the drive ujoints, I might as well pull the diff out and replace the drive shaft ujoints...well since I have the diff out, I might as well rebuild it. Since I was planning on replacing all of the bushing on hte rear suspension, I might as well clean those up and paint them....well since I have them off I might as well just.....

gjh2007
01-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Make sure you check for the infamous crack in the pass front diff mount, it can be where the pin passes through the lower horizontal member, or at the top main. Be sure to look carefully & wiggle it hard to be sure there are no hairline cracks in the lower member.

If you find any cracks come back to us & we'll help you out with the repair options.

Tinster
01-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Jack:

Here maybe is some helpful advice.
I am no auto mechanic and am learning as I go.
The second major project I attemped was to
replace the differential mounts.

My advice- Take the entire diif out, it's really
not that difficult. Check and recheck the pass side
front mount stud box for cracks. Replace the diff
rear gasket while changing the diff oil. The rear axles
do not have to be removed. They will slide outward and
downward enought to remove the diff. You DO have to
remove the coil springs.

Change out the trailing arm bushings while you have
the back end apart. They are cheap to purchase, a bitch
to install if they are all you are doing.

Change out the U-joints. Again, cheap to purchase and a
bitch to install if that is all you are doing.

Take out your two lever shocks, remove the bottom plug
and let drain overnight. Refill and work the lever arm
many times to fill the shocks. leave a small air gap at
the top for compression. Almost no cost associated with this one but a bitch to accomplish if that is all you are doing.

Trust me on this one. I did not know enough to accomplish
all this as one task. I did them as seperate tasks and it was time consuming and a bitch.

Here is a photo "how-to" that will walk you thru the trailing arm bushings. There's a bunch of other "how-to"
on my photo site.

https://community.webshots.com/album/549568714aDQPPa

best of luck and keep us posted. Much help available here.

Dale in bayamon, PR