PDA

View Full Version : New member from Montana

JP_Furble
01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Hello all, just stumbled across your forum and thought I would stay awhile. I see a couple of names I recognize from other forums too. I live in Missoula, Montana (any other Montanans on this site?) I have a '61 Bugeye which I purchased in August 1967, and did a complete restoration/upgrade on it in 2002-2003. Upgrades include a 1275, Rivergate 5-speed, disk brakes on the front, leather interior, and tilt forward bonnet. Other British cars I have been associated with include a '48 Ford Anglia, '61 Ford Consul convertible, '77 MGB, '63 Healey 3000, '87 Jaguar XJ6, '02 Jaguar X-Type...but my life-long "love" has been the Bugeye, Spot.

Looking forward to sharing ideas with you folks!

JP Furble

Bret
01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Welcome JP! Lots of spridgit folks here. Judging from your experience it sounds like you'll be an asset from the get-go!

JP_Furble
01-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks Bret. That'a nice looking MGB you have there. Mine was Mustard Yellow (don't remember the actual color name), and I drove it all over the place. Drove it year round in Montana for 3-4 years...snow, ice, extreme cold it didn't matter. I did have to plug the block heater in to get it to start in the winter however. You lucky guys in California don't know what those are I bet.

JPF

Bret
01-25-2007, 01:25 AM
While youd be correct about most of the folks here in Kalifornia, but I lived in Colorado for about 8 years so I know about heater plugs. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I actually rigged up a special magnet heater that I could slap on just about any stamped steel oil pan & hooked it up in the garage. Never had any problems starting the next morning.

Still I loved it in Colorado and if given the chance Id move back in a heartbeat if I could get a transfer but my wife would never stand for it.

GB1
01-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Welcome JPF and Spot.

I have a similar BE w/o the rivergate.

Patrick

DrEntropy
01-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Welcome aboard, JP! Hope you enjoy your time here.

Darwin
01-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I am not a true Montanan JP but I did live in the Bad Rock Canyon (near West entrance of Glaicer) area of Montana for nearly 10 years. Loved the state but had to return to Mn for health reasons. Missoula is a beatiful town. Many visit there over the years.

Welcome to the madness.

JP_Furble
01-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Darwin,

I'm not a native Montanan either, but have lived here for 28 years so I guess that allows me to call myself a Montanan. I know where Bad Rock Canyon is. Did you have your Spitfire when you lived there? Montana is not exactly LBC country. Few and far between here!

JPF

Darwin
01-27-2007, 08:32 AM
JP,

I bought the Spitfire from a friend of mine out there. It was in pretty sorry shape. The convertible top leaked like a sieve and the heater didn't work. It was my only car at the time so I ended up driving it that way for over a year. Thank goodness for Carhartt, Sorel, stocking caps, and gloves. Drove it that way for two winters. Made a trip back here to MN in Oct. of '02 and drove back to MT in Feb. of '03 with no heater but at least a new top. 20-30 below zero all the way. Car ran great, driver nearly froze to death.

As for Montana not being LBC country, I would have to disagree. Sure it is cold but where but in the Rocky Mountains are you going to find narrow, twisty, roads with sharp hairpins, cliff walls on one side and sheer drops on the other? Had lots of fun on some of those roads learning about the effects of the dreaded tuck under.

Basil
01-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Welcome to our forum! I lived in Gt Falls for 7 years back in the 70's (I was stationed at Malmstron AFB).

JP_Furble
01-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Darwin,

I agree the roads here are well suited to LBC's (except maybe when they turn to gravel about 3-miles out of town), but what I meant was the typical Montanan is not into LBC's. They are great people, but like as not when they see one they'll say something like "Nice MG you got there" irregardless of what brand it really is. They just don't see many of them on the road.

Basil,

You spent 7-years in Griffles? Is one of your legs still longer than the other from leaning into the wind so long?

AngliaGT
01-27-2007, 11:48 PM
My Sister lives in Kalispell.
I've been going there for about the last 33 years.
Some great roads,& fantastic scenery!
We're hoping to head up there when we have time,
so we don't have to rush.

- Doug