PDA

View Full Version : Movable temperature device?

Jim Lee
01-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I am vaguely recalling a temporary and very portable measurement tool that would allow me to easily place it in various locations on my tr3 to get a more detailed picture of how hot or cold everything is running. I have a working temperature gauge which I have checked against a new one but am kind of concerned about running too cool since getting a recored radiator. Is there such a portable measuring device or am I mistaken? Also if there is such a thing has anyone with a tr3 taken temperature measurements at different places on or around the engine that I could compare mine to?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Bugeye58
01-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Jim, there are all kinds of portable, hand held devices to measure temps. Probably the easiest to use is an infrared thermometer. From there you can go to a standard thermocouple hooked to a digital readout, such as a Fluke 52. The 52 has provisions for two thermocouples, so you can do an instantaneous A~B reading.
Jeff

YankeeTR
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I recently saw one advertised at a local parts house for $29.00...

mrv8q
01-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey, Jim, I bought a digital infrared laser thermometer at Sears last year for $49. On my TR3, when the rebuilt temp gauge reads a tick over 185, it actually measures 177 on the digital reader, at the temp sending outlet. I think it's good to know...

Jim Lee
01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks all, I will have to look on ebay, my favorite place to actually see things I have not seen before. Is it like a plastic gun that you point at the place you want to get the temperature from?

Thanks,
Jim Lee

Merlin63Tr4
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Just got my "Harbor Freight" sales catalog

You might want to check item number 91778-4RTH

Noncontact Laser Thermometer $39.99

https://www.harborfreight.com

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif