PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 Rheostat question

SCguy
01-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm having some trouble finding a rheostate to fit my TR4 now that I've added a wooden dash. Does anyone know if this will fit?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190061605232&fromMakeTrack=true

r66
01-20-2007, 06:30 AM
I bought one like that at a used parts booth at a LBC car show in Ohio for $5. The one I bought was supposedly for an MG and looked like the picture in Ebay. I tried but it did not fit my TR4A. I was thinking of trying to rework it, but ended up finding another one that was for a TR4. Moss sells them but they are expensive.
Ron

SCguy
01-20-2007, 10:45 AM
The ones that I'm finding from Moss and Victoria British seem to be for a metal dash only. The one I bought from Victoria British didn't quite come through my wooden dash far enough that I could attach the bezel.

guzzul
01-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Have a look at this one (used) on ebay. A Spitfire one, but could be what you want. Hard to tell, but it seems like it has a longer shank.

Note particularly the mounting bracket.

I took mine out but as I recall the rheostat shaft mounts to the bracket, and then the mounting bracket fits behind the wooden dash and screws into the back of the dash. I don't think the shaft mounts 'through' the dash (i.e. with a nut on the outside of the dash). The rheostat button just pushes on from the outside of the dash, but doesn't actualy hold the unit in place.

SCguy
01-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Good point! I keep thinking TR6 where every thing comes completely through the dash.I think mine will work after all.