PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A Starter Rebuild Question

DennisH
09-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Has anyone rebuilt their TR3A starter lately? I disassembled my starter about 10 years ago and do not remember how the brushes go back in. I would assume that the two brushes connected and grounded to the rear cover would go in the two grounded slots 180 Deg. apart and the two brushes from the field coils would go into the two insulated slots. Or is there any info on the web that might help jog my memory. This is one of those restorations that you walk around for about 30 years and never get to.

Thanks
Dennis

SilentUnicorn
09-19-2003, 06:57 PM
is this any help?
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=37710

MGTF1250Dave
09-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Aloha Dennis,

I've rebuilt a few of these. I'll check on my spare when I get home tonight and answer your question, right now I can't remember and I don't want to guess.

Safety Fast,
Dave

MGTF1250Dave
09-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Aloha Dennis,

Sorry for the delay, I had to come back to the office to answer your question (I couldn't remember my password). The field coil brushes from the starter motor body go to the insulated brush holders and are 180 degrees apart. the commutator brushes go in the uninsulated brush holders. Good luck with your rebuild. Is it the older bull nose type?

Safety Fast,
Dave

DennisH
09-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Hey Dave & Silent
Thanks for the info, I thought that was right but I didn't want to fry it if I was wrong. It's the open style. The car has been in a 25 year restoration process and for some reason I'm excited all of a sudden about getting it back together. I've had the Engine and trans done for about 10 years and have had most of the mechanical parts as long.