PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing? Rear end locating device?

WhatsThatNoise
01-12-2007, 12:32 AM
How does it work?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-PINT...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-PINTO-TORQUE-ARM-3-LINK-MINI-STOCK-SCCA-RACE_W0QQitemZ330072191519QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10706 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/486f_12.jpg

Is the bar for or aft of the pumpkin?
Does it inhibit roll how?
Where is the centerline?
Where does it connect?

EDIT: OK....I think I have it figured out.....But why?

Drive line alignment compensating device for extreme torque loads....Right?

aeronca65t
01-12-2007, 05:08 AM
I guess it prevents the "nose" of the pumpkin (where the driveshaft attaches to the rear axle) from raising under hard acceleration. And it would also keep the pumpkin nose from dropping under heavy braking.
But is this a real problem in Pintos?

Bugeye58
01-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Not the hard acceleration part, Nial!
Jeff

foxtrapper
01-12-2007, 05:58 AM
It keeps the axle from wrapping up the leaf spring and bouncing around. That's a real problem with anything using a leaf spring solid axle rear suspension. Even a stock Pinto had enough power to get the axle hopping around when you'd dump the clutch from a stand still. In a race modified Pinto, it would become even more of a problem.

Hap Waldrop
01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
It's more commonly called a torque arm or third link, it's primary function it to keep the pinion angle the same under accelaration and braking. As far as leaf spring wrap you can take it one step further and do anti tramp bars, all my leaf spring set ups have anti tramp bars. In a normal leaf spring set up the leaf spring is ask to do two things be a spring and a trailer arm, so many racers go the anti tramp bar route. What the anti tramp bars are, are separate trailing arms added to aprox, the same pivot point of the front spring mount, then if you really want to do it right, you make spacer for the leaf spring bracket so when the leaf spring u bolts oare tight the they don't squezze the leaf spring, the anit tramp bars are now the trailing arm and the leaf spring experience no "wrapping" form acelleration or braking. Here's a phot of a anti-tram bar set up on a MGB race car we rstored, notice the spacers on the leaf spring bracket, they will not allow the spring to pinch clamped, if take the anti tramp bars off you can move the rear housing freely o the leaf springs.

DrEntropy
01-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Mounted to frame forward?

ChrisS
01-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Hap,
Where is the third link for that setup? Do you have a pic?

Hap Waldrop
01-13-2007, 03:01 PM
The third link is mounted on top of the top center of the rear housing just left of center and has a double shear mount on the chassis.

Yes the on the anti tramp bars they were mounted (best of memory, worked on too many race cars /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) best I can remember the spring bracket had been modified with a extra double shear mounting location for the front of the anti tramp bars. The front mounting point of the anti tramp bar needs to be reasonably close to the the pivot point of the leaf spring, if not on the same axis will eventually bind but if bind happens beyond suspension travel, it's a moot point because it will never travel that far.

WhatsThatNoise
01-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone.....Kinda what I figured......

Probably not important for a "momentum" road racer.
I have maybe 125hp and stock drums on the rear.

It neither speeds up or slows down very fast.
(Applying about the same "torque-wrap" as the machine that puts the paper on a Tootsie-roll)

Now if it was the consensus among people here that this item would instantly propel me & the Pinto to superstar status.

Maybe I'd buy 2 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

JerryB
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
"""""Probably not important for a "momentum" road racer.
I have maybe 125hp and stock drums on the rear."""""""

That reminds me.....I have a Spearco third link for a Pinto...bout 25" long..... with the crosmember and hdwe.

I went to look for it on the shelf. Tube crossmember and the link....the whole kit. Cant remember why I ever got/had it.....Spearco was a really hot deal in the 70's 80-s...turbo kits, suspension etc...

any way..I have the link kit, instructions, rear sway bar and front bar and the attaching hardware..all Spearco.
If you can take it all its $50 .....its about 20? pounds in all....UPS might run $25 or so + -.

Mail me at oneandoutgo(at)msn(dot)com.

DrEntropy
01-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Go fer it, Dave! We'll be lookin' fer photos of ya inna Winner's Circle. Replete with garlands, big trophy and surrounded by pit ponies! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

WhatsThatNoise
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Yea......These girls should be sitting on MY car! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/grandam-2006-wg-al-0037.jpg

aeronca65t
01-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Revealed!....*Now* we see why Dave *really* races!

OK, no Real Shock I suppose. It's the reason why most guys do *most* things.

Except me. I just race for those $5 bowling trophies. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif https://fc01.deviantart.com/images/i/2003/38/a/2/Devil_emoticon.gif