PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 not turning off

John Bryan
09-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Here's an interesting one. My recently acquired TR6 has some minor electrical gremlins, which are down on my list. Most everything works, except for some of the teeny little bulbs in odd places, like the one on the console, the one in the glovebox, the one in the trunk and the little turn indicator lights on the bottom of the tach. Lights, etc, all work.

Two nights ago, I ran up to the store with my wife to get something. Coming back, I turned the key off and the car kept running. I pulled the key out, and the car kept running. Then, I realized the headlights were still on. I turned them off, and the car turned off. Experimenting, I have discovered that the car is getting general power if the headlights are on and will keep running, even without a key. Surely, this isn't normal, unless its some weird design feature to keep you from leaving lights on! I guess I can look at a wiring diagram and figure it out, but it did seem odd at the time.

09-04-2003, 06:51 PM
John,
Dan Masters puts out a great little book on TR6 electricals, about 30 bucks. You can reach him at danmas@aol.com. It has specific wiring diagrams for each year of the 6 and many other electrical questions answered, with diagrams. I couldn't live without mine. Also, British Wiring builds TR6 (and probably other) wiring harnesses, all to spec. Not really expensive and can be done in a weekend, that is unless you have other, more pressing projects to do on the car, like paint.
Bill

britishcarfreak
09-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Poor earth on lighting circuit - may result in light circuit trying to earth to another point (SNEAK current) - this means that the light circuit may be trying to earth back via ign coil somehow. Turning lights off pulls that lead out of the equation and the car stops.

UltimateQuestion
09-05-2003, 09:14 AM
SNEAK Current! Here's a leak to an excellent explanation and some good how-to on electricals. It is MG-centered, but all LBCs are "earthed" to Lucas!

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/electrical/sneak.html