PDA

View Full Version : Question About 2500M Seats

bravenrace
01-09-2007, 07:08 AM
My '74 has really flat seats with black and white plaid/ checkered insets. This is the only '74 2500M I've seen with this seat and upholstery. The car is documented to have only 9500 miles on it (I still have my doubts about that), so they should be original, but these seats are not the same style that's in every other 2500M I've seen. The driver's seat is ripped, and I'd like to replace these seats with something better, but they are so small that a lot of the aftermarket seats don't look like they'd fit. I made a post a while back asking about seats, and the seats in the picture I posted would be perfect if I could find them.
Can anyone enlighten me about this?

WhatsThatNoise
01-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I heard someone say that getting in a TVR was like crawling into a dog box.

Diet & exercise

(And maybe a little stretching)

bravenrace
01-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey, I didn't say I didn't fit! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
I also don't deny that it's not the easiest car to get in and out of, but once I am in it, I find the seats less than supporting. They are also ugly, and the one needs repaired. To me that says - Replace them! The question is, with what?

WhatsThatNoise
01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
My Bro's Vixen seats look very similar....

I really like them but, it takes a little getting used to.
They have much the same shape as real racing seats.

If yours are made like his, and I think they are, you can easily pull out the center section for recovering.

(In any colour you wish)

bravenrace
01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't think they are like your bro's. These look like they came out of a Vega.

mrtvr
01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Actually your seats Are different from those in the Vixen. Yours have the folding mechanism and the cars generally came in all vinyl. I guess it's possible your car was ordered with the checked cloth inserts, but most likely, it was done at some point after delivery.
I've heard some people say that Mazda Miata seats fit and there may be some of the aftermarket seat suppliers that offer a seat that will fit. If you have the dimensions, you might try Corbeau, Recaro, and other such suppliers to see if they have one that will be the right size to work in the M.

WhatsThatNoise
01-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Here are a couple of seat pics from the Vixen.

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/Engineparts004.jpg
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/Engineparts003.jpg

Plus an engine shot..........I really like this little mill.
(I can pick up the bare block w/ one little finger /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/Engineparts010.jpg

GoBritBaby
01-10-2007, 07:37 AM
I think those seats you asked about a while back can be found at https://www.gts-classics.com

Cheers,
Steve

bravenrace
01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Okay, below is a picture of the passenger seat in my car. As Marshall mentioned, it's not the same as the Vixen, although I personally like the Vixen seat better. So is this the correct seat for my car? Do you think the inset is factory or added later? I know one thing - It sure is ugly!

https://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1982/7775/133977.jpg

bravenrace
01-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Steve,
Thanks for the link. I think that is the seat.
Jim

bravenrace
01-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Is that a Midget engine? I helped my bro in law pull one once. We attached a strap to it and he pulled from one side and I pulled from the other! Not much heavier than the engine on my go-kart!

GoBritBaby
01-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Your seat seems identical to my 2500M seats in terms of size, shape, and the hand lever. My guess is they "borrowed" some of that strange plaid pattern Triumph was using on the TR7 seats.

Cheers,
Steve

mrtvr
01-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Seat in your photo is the correct seat for your M, except for the checkered inserts. Of course, you could go to a good upholstery shop and have them redo your seats with new foam, webbing, and upholstery of your choice, or you could go with a replacement seat when you find one that would fit the available space.

Grantura_MKI
01-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Those would appear to be the correct seats with after market covering, as Marshal stated. I would go after a set of Sparco's as they make very nice fitting seats for small areas.
Cheers, David.

Twosheds
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Not the best photo (I should have opened the door), but these are Cobra Classic seats. I think Corbeau makes a similar style. They fit my old TR3 with a little modification to the transmission tunnel using a BFH. Of course, the TR3 tunnel is nothing compared to a 2500! They are very light seats, too. The bolsters might make entrance to a TVR difficult, a problem I didn't have in the TR3.

bravenrace
01-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the picture, John. I've seen those and like the classic look of them. I'd be alittle hesitant to buy them without sitting in them first, because like you said, the side bolsters might be an issue when getting in or out. I'm pretty sure once in, I'd like them!

WhatsThatNoise
01-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Is that a Midget engine?
Ford crossflow.

The first 12 S1 Vixens got the MGB engine.
The other 105 got the X-Flo.

117 S1 / 438 S2 / 97 S3 / 23 S4 That makes 675 total Vixens.

BTW.....The "M" in 2500M Stands for Martin as in Martin Lilley

Twosheds
01-10-2007, 08:17 PM
[quote=bravenrace]
The first 12 S1 Vixens got the MGB engine.

The VERY FIRST Vixen ever made resides in one of my sheds
(I'm renting the shed to my friend). It has an MGB engine.

WhatsThatNoise
01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Do you happen to know its registration number?

Any pics that your friend would agree to post?

I really like the S1 Vixen.....Doesn't matter X-flo or MGB.

I'm told the B is more torquey but, the ford is lighter & spools up faster.....Obviously better head design.

Ever thought about buying a TVR?
Your friend putting TVR pressure on you?

Twosheds
01-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Do you happen to know its registration number?

Any pics that your friend would agree to post?

I really like the S1 Vixen.....Doesn't matter X-flo or MGB.

I'm told the B is more torquey but, the ford is lighter & spools up faster.....Obviously better head design.

Ever thought about buying a TVR?
Your friend putting TVR pressure on you?

I know my buddy sent me the registration number, but I can't find it now. I thought I had a current photo, but I don't and I'm not going out to the shed right now! I do have this photo from a magazine article. I think it's from British Car about the history of TVR. Notice the hood scoop is kind of squared off.

I have thought about buying a TVR. Once was in 1979. But seein' as how I'm disabled, broke, and unemployed... Besides, I like getting the rent, as little as it is...

My Buddy had another Vixen that he started to put a Mazda rotary in. I brokered that one to Rich Rock less the Mazda, but with the Kent. The rotary is also in the shed. Anyone interested? 250 HP!

I'll try to get out to the shed tomorrow and take a photo, but the rotary will be in the way. And I'll look at the data plate.

WhatsThatNoise
01-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Rich Rock?.....I'll be darned.....Small world.

He races the heck out of that thing in Pa. hill climbs
(With the nerve of a rally driver)

He also helped my brother w/ the set up of his Vixen.

bravenrace
01-11-2007, 07:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]BTW.....The "M" in 2500M Stands for Martin as in Martin Lilley [/QUOTE]

Hey, I might not know much about Vixens, but I do know what I've got! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Gonna have to make a run to the outlet stores in the next couple months - Still got beer?

WhatsThatNoise
01-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Gonna have to make a run to the outlet stores in the next couple months - Still got beer?
Actually I like ridiculously dry cabs & red zins
(once described by a friend as a glass of alum powder)

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/Image1.jpg

But I do have plenty of beer for folks who drop in. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Let me know when you'll be in the area & I'll play tour guide.

bravenrace
01-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I thought you liked Guiness, no?

Twosheds
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Rich Rock?.....I'll be darned.....Small world.

He races the heck out of that thing in Pa. hill climbs
(With the nerve of a rally driver)

He also helped my brother w/ the set up of his Vixen.

I imagine that the TVR world is smaller than the TR3 world! I've known Rich since TRA National 2001, when I bought a Detroit locker from him.

After Rich damaged his Vixen at Weatherly, he transferred everything to the frame of the Vixen he bought from my friend. Without missing a hillclimb.

If it warms up, I'll get that photo of the Vixen in my shed.

Shouldn't we start a new thread?

bobh
01-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Miata seats should fit. Back in the day I put a set of TR6 seats in my '73 2500M.

bravenrace
01-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks. I haven't found any Miata seats that I liked, alhough I haven't seen all of them. Did the TR6 seats fit well?

WhatsThatNoise
01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I thought you liked Guiness, no?
Guiness = Favorite (available) beer
Wine = Favorite drink

Naa....Although we're not talking about 2500M seats or even 2500Ms......
This discussion is much more on topic than other threads I've managed to hijack. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Twosheds
01-11-2007, 03:42 PM
[
Naa....Although we're not talking about 2500M seats or even 2500Ms......
This discussion is much more on topic than other threads I've managed to hijack. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif [/quote]

Very well, then. I went into the High Speed Triumph Research Laboratory Annex, know affectioately to the HSTRL boffins as The Other Shed and tried to photgraph the Vixen. I will attach the photos.

I don't know where to look for the data plate. Whatever the first Vixen Commission number is, that's the commission number of this one.

Sorry for poor photo; there's a lot of stuff in a little shed.

WhatsThatNoise
01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Some people call the first 12 Vixens &gt; 1800s mk IV.
(on account of the MGA engines)

https://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:PRv...lient=firefox-a (https://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:PRvlIKaZeq8J:www.zen11896.zen.co.uk/vixen/handbook/model.html+tvr+vixen+chassis+number&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a)

That's why I was wondering if it was VX001 or not.

mrtvr
01-11-2007, 06:39 PM
The Vixen series did not start with VX001, it started with VX117B (the 'B' indicating the MGB engine). The last Vixen S1 was numbered VX233F (the 'F' indicating a Ford engine).

WhatsThatNoise
01-11-2007, 08:42 PM
The Vixen series did not start with VX001, it started with VX117B (the 'B' indicating the MGB engine). The last Vixen S1 was numbered VX233F (the 'F' indicating a Ford engine).
Thanks mrtvr.

If I ever started a car company I'd start w/ WTN001.
The next car would be WTN002 & so on.

How does the simplicity of this escape car manufactures? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

mrtvr
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
In this particular case, it was a straight continuation of serial numbers for TVR. The last Grantura 1800S had the chassis number 18/116, so when they converted to the Vixen, they just changed the prefix accordingly (VX) and started with #117.

bravenrace
01-12-2007, 07:30 AM
That Vixen needs liberated! Shame it's just sitting in there not being used. Let me know if you/he ever wants to sell it - I'm getting hooked on these cars!

Twosheds
01-12-2007, 09:12 AM
That Vixen needs liberated! Shame it's just sitting in there not being used. Let me know if you/he ever wants to sell it - I'm getting hooked on these cars!

Will do!

bobh
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
The TR6 seats fit just fine. They were easier to find in good condition back when I had my '73 (#2596TM). I would look at the Miata seats for a modern replacement. If you get seats from an early Miata they have zippers on the headrest. Unzip these and you'll see pockets in the foam for installing speakers. If the seat covers are worn you can buy replacements in fabric or leather. I'll be putting a set from a '99 in my TR6 sometime in the next couple of months. I need to make up some brackets to adapt the miata runners to the TR6 mounting holes.
I am not getting rid of the TR6 seats, they will go in the attic. Any changes I make will be able to be undone to return the car to stock.
Depending on how I like the Miata seats in the TR6, I will probably go the same route on my '74 TVR. Once I get started on the restoration.