PDA

View Full Version : radiator problem

bigbadbluetr6
06-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey guys
I was work on my car today a 73 tr6 if you don't know. I hit the radiator and it started to leak anti-freeze and water. Is there a way to fix the old one or is it easier to buy a new or used one? I really don't know what I'm going to do so I could use anyones help on this one. Does anyone have a radiator? Do the Tr4 radiators work? I have all the options and I don't know which one I'm going to take so just give me your advice and it will help me out. Thanks guys
Eric

aeronca65t
06-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I haven't any real suggestions, but I feel your pain.....I did something similar last year. My "story" is here:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000014

You could try bringing to a rad shop and see if it fixable...sometimes it's the best solution.

PC
06-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Donít know the TR6 radiator specifically but pretty much any radiator from that time is going to be a copper/brass type that can easily be rebuilt or repaired by any radiator shop.

If the car has any tendency to get hot you might consider having a higher performance core put in the radiator. Hereís one vendor or high-end radiators and rebuilds: https://www.usradiator.com/

Hope this helps.

PC.

ObiRichKanobi
06-20-2003, 09:45 PM
I would think that nearly any radiator shop could either repair or recore it. A local radiator shop (non-LBC knowledable) was able to remove the gas tank from my TR7 and repair it... graemlins/hammer.gif

Dale
06-20-2003, 11:30 PM
A local radiator shop did my TR7 radiator better than new for only $80.00.

MGTF1250Dave
06-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Aloha Eric,

I agree with the previous replies, check a reliable local radiator shop. Check with your friends or mechanic for a recommended shop that does reliable work. I've had the three radiators recored ('54 MG and 2 '58 TR3As) and it was inexpensive. I had one done in Manassas, VA and the others in Pearl City, HI by radiator shops. In a couple of cases were the the radiator had been patched and tubes plugged, the performance was greatly improved. If you haven't done to much damage the can probably seal it up. I think you can get it fixed for less than a replacement. The great thing about brass radiator is that the can be repaired/recored unlike many plastic/aluminum modern rediators.

Safety Fast,
Dave

bigbadbluetr6
06-21-2003, 01:14 AM
Thanks guys
I'll will have to look for a good repair shop around here probably not a big deal here in my city. Thanks once again guys and gals if there are any you people are the best.
Eric