PDA

View Full Version : SCCA 1962 AH Sprite on ebay.

tony barnhill
01-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Looks like a pretty nice little car.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-Aust...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-Austin-Healey-Sprite-MG-Midget-Road-Race-Autocross_W0QQitemZ290068691971QQihZ019QQcategoryZ 98064QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Gearhead
01-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Sure wish I had 4gs laying around it would be a neat toy

WhatsThatNoise
01-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Tony?

:devil:DOITDOITDOITDOIT:devil:

Sure I'd like to race a Brit. car......

Just not a 1275

I'm afraid to follow one......https://www.spiritgoods.com/media/i_flag_surf.gif

Tim Hollister
01-06-2007, 10:43 AM
All,

I'd be careful of that car even though it does look like it is a well prepped car. The reason I'd be careful is the shape of the main hoop in the roll cage. Without going into a lot of detail here, it does not meet the current requirements of the SCCA's General Competition Rules (available on the SCCA web site). It did in 1995 as the seller states but rules are changing -- and many current SCCA cars may be out on their butts Jan 1, 2008. Ask me how I know. (Hint -- look at the shape of my main hoop in photo/attachement below.)

Of course if you intend to race with the SCCA and also intend to replace the main hoop and some of the connecting bars, then disregard the above and go for it.

And I'd be a little leery of the coil over rear suspension if I were to try to go vintage racing with it.

Bottomline? Check with what ever sanctioning body you may be considering running with before making a commitment to purchase.

Best wishes to everyone!

Tim

WhatsThatNoise
01-06-2007, 11:16 AM
The reason I'd be careful is the shape of the main hoop in the roll cage.

Yep....Looks like

Diagonal main hoop brace is not there at all so far as I can see.
(it may go from rear brace to bottom of main hoop)

2 braces must connect the front & rear hoop.
(not the door-bars if I'm seeing things right)

And....The main hoop, if asymmetrical, has to be half the width of the main hoop on top.
(last year tech let this one slide)

You're only talking only a few hours of fab work here.

Tim Hollister
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
You're only talking only a few hours of fab work here.

I'm sure what you are saying above is absolutely true for a professional, or at least someone skilled at cage design, removal, modification, installation, etc.

My concern centers around the average racer, or racer wannabe that does not have the skills, experience, tools, or the knowledge of the rules, etc. What with the life saving implications of a cage, the mods needed to this cage will not be trivial. (I can and do weld, but I farm out cage work to pros and it's not cheap.)

The seller is not up on the current SCCA roll cage rules and therefore makes an inaccurate claim in his ad. (OK, I'll contact the seller and recommend he check the current rules with the idea of possibly modifying his write up.)

Best wishes your way!

Tim

WhatsThatNoise
01-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm sure what you are saying above is absolutely true for a professional, or at least someone skilled at cage design, removal, modification, installation, etc.

Tony's buying it!......Right Tony???

tony barnhill
01-06-2007, 07:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Tony's buying it!......Right Tony???[/QUOTE]

Not planning on it - my next purchase will be a Triumph Speedster! I figured some of you AH guys would jump on it! Though there are some things I do like about it.