PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix or Crane?

bravenrace
01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I want to replace my points with an electronic ignition on my '74 2500M, but am not sure which to use. Any opinions?

GoBritBaby
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I've used Petronix and it worked just fine with my MGA.

I found out first hand though that once your battery is dead the Petronix won't help you in push starting your car. It has to have some juice to do anything....So, I went back to points. On the rare occassion my battery goes dead again, it's easy to push start it all by myself.

Cheers,
Steve

WhatsThatNoise
01-02-2007, 04:13 PM
I use Pertronics but carry a set of points in the gin box.

Also....I use a battery switch....ALWAYS!

Didn't know about the push start/Pertronics deal.
That is a bit of a disappointment.

Ever try hand cranking your MGA GBB?

GoBritBaby
01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Yes, I put in a battery cut off shortly after that episode as well. I have no other complaints about Petronix, it worked without any issues otherwise. I got a good deal on a Mallory distributor w/points so I use that now.

Although the handcrank is an option, I'm a little afraid of trying. It might take my hand off ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

WhatsThatNoise
01-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I hear there are 3 rules to making sure you don't get messed up w/ a kick-back.

1) Keep your thumb on the same side as your fingers.
2) Retard it a bit by spinning the little dizzy wheel.
3) I forget the 3rd one.

Elva's rad is in front of the crank pulley nut anyway.
(So I have to push & hop in)

https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/dlg208/E-Baystuff001.jpg

People ask me if those are tail fins on the back.....
NO!.....Those are grab handles......For pushing it when it dies /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

bailee2
01-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice Elva!!!
I had a bad experience with Pertronics and I relate the experience with buying on ebay. If you buy on ebay do not expect sevice if there is something wrong. My kit probably fell off a truck and its just will not work so I put my old points back in.
Thanks.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

WhatsThatNoise
01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
bailee2,
Yea... I like cars where you can reach out & touch the ground also. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have heeded the warning re: NOT leaving the Pertronics/coil on while servicing the car.
I installed a spade terminal on the hot side of the coil instead of the ring terminal so I can pop it off quickly.
Haven't had any problems w/ mine so far.

BritBox
01-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi,

I have had the Pertronix in my TR250 for over five years without any issues at all. It was very easy to install, and I have never babied it in any way. The Crane systems have a great reputation, but I like the fact that the Pertronix is almost invisible once installed in the car.

Best regards,

aeronca65t
01-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I've had the Petronix in my racer for about 5 years. I run pretty rich mixtures and the thing *never* fouls a plug.

The points system is simple, but it's not capable of making the type of hot spark that a solid-state system can make. When I ran points, I would get mild fouling under some conditions....no more.
I always bring a spare distributor with points "just in case", but I've never needed it...kind of a belt and suspenders thing, I guess.

The Crane may have a rev-limiter on some versions; a nice feature.