PDA

View Full Version : A Lucas Regulator Enigma..,

Roadster Corner
03-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Well, i have a G&E refrigarator, thanks God!! This is a question for all britishcarnuts: i am working on the electrical sistem of a TR4 IRS, with a dynamo and a Lucas 106/2 Regulator...ejem Control Box, if you insist... What i want to know is if this regulator can work well, with a Negative earth; or only as intented originally, with a Positive earth?
As you can see, i am no electrical expert, and will appreciate greatly any help. Thank you in advance. Eric. ericbfdc@hotmail.com

piman
03-08-2003, 05:27 AM
Hello Eric,

In short, yes the regulator is not polarity sensitive.

Alec, graemlins/thirsty.gif

aeronca65t
03-08-2003, 01:39 PM
RC:

Alec is correct....read here for an eplaination or "re-polarizing" your system (it relates to Alfas with Lucas systems, but the info is the same for Brit cars).

https://www.alfaclub.org/techstff/lucas.htm

Roadster Corner
03-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Thank you very much for "lighting the way" for me, i was confused after reading a Haynes electrical book: Classic cars Electrical Sistems by Dave Pollard, who says in page 86 "control boxes are especifically positive or negative earth and cannot be changed in this way. (refering to polarity change). So i will try to connect everything with negative earth, and will inform the results. Thanks again, it is really incredible not to be alone in this. We keep in contact. Eric

64Spitfire
03-11-2003, 09:18 AM
You can easily switch from neg. to pos. earthed system. I have done it with no ill effects. You must, as stated above polarize the system.