PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Rear Hub Rebuild, part 2

RedTR3
12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
The best quote I have gotten so far for rebuilding my hubs is from TRF. I was surprised, I thought they would be expensive. I would appreciate any comments from the members here that have experience with them about their quality and delivery time. Thanks!

12-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Make sure they have the parts in stock before sending them anything...

prb51
12-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm sure they would do a fine job but any mechanic shop can do this rather simple job. Separate hub from axle, replace bearings/seals press hub on axle. Get the parts and have it done locally. Took me about one hour of work (going slow) once I had access to a press to get the two separated.
Very common operation.

RedTR3
12-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I hear you, but I have tried to stay with shops that have done TR3's in the past. I have heard a common thread among the shops I've talked to: if not pressed properly, it is possible to damage the hub. One shop said in his history there have been 3 or 4 hubs that just would not come off. I realize that once the hub is off, it is a pretty easy job.

prb51
12-12-2006, 09:07 AM
True, any mated parts 50 years old can be difficult to seperate. The original hubs are not that strong anyways. I replaced my rear hubs with the new stronger racing hubs that have the bolts threaded from the rear and will not pull out or be overly sensitive to torquing. Just makes me feel better safety wise.
Good luck with the work.