PDA

View Full Version : New member, a Brit resident in NC

ncbugeye
12-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Glad to be here. I am a Brit longtime resident in the US, have obviously loved British cars since I was a kid.

I was recently fortunate enough to become the owner of a 1958 Bugeye with the NC plate "BUGEYE". It is equipped with a 1275cc engine, electric fuel pump and front disc brakes from a later model, and electronic "pointless" ignition, but more or less everything else is as original, including positive earth electrics and the mechanical rev counter. It is in fairly good working order but needs to be driven a great deal more than it has been over the last few years. Fuel lines are clean, no sediment, engine compression is excellent, ignition timing tests OK, but it seems sluggish, as compared to my distant memory of what my Stage 2 tuned 850 Mini was like 35 years ago. I am looking for ideas as to what the problem might be. The fuel pump (SU AUF305) stalled on me the other day, but a sharp tap with a wrench fixed that. Any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

tony barnhill
12-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Welcome - NC has some great roads to exercise it on!

Basil
12-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Welcome aboard! We have a number of "transplants" here. In fact, one of our moderators, Steve is an ex-Bobbi (I hope I spelled that right).

Cheers,
Basil

ncbugeye
12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Actually he would have been a bobby, after Robert Peel who created the original police force. They were also nicknamed the "peelers" from the same origin.

ncbugeye
12-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I have tried to upload an avatar in the edit profile section but it won't let me... I get "cannot proceed, hit the back button" after I submit my profile change

Steve
12-10-2006, 09:58 PM
"ello 'ello 'ello." Welcome to the BCF. The fuel pump sounds as if the points are sticking. I had a similar problem with a Mini back in the UK, kept tapping it until the day came when tapping it no longer worked. Roadside repair wasn't much fun!

Basil
12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have tried to upload an avatar in the edit profile section but it won't let me... I get "cannot proceed, hit the back button" after I submit my profile change

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure your Avatar image is no bigger than 80x80 pixels and teh file size must not exceed 20k (smaller is better). Also, make sure you are uploading the Avater from your own computer - not trying to link to one on another web site.

Basil

ncbugeye
12-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Aha, that was it. I had it as a JPG at exactly 80x80 but it was 21Kb, so it failed your tests. I resaved it as a PNG and now it's less than 21KB and it works, as you can see.

ChrisS
12-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Glad to see you made it here.

toolseye
12-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Nice to have you.
Welcome!

Shinsen774
01-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Where in North Carolina are you? My home town is Wilmington. They have a nice British Car Show down there beside the USS North Crolina Battleship Memorial every year.

Jim

01-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi fellow Carolinians :-)

I'm a relatively new member myself.

I was just looking at the website for the Britsh car show gathering in Dobson,NC

https://www.triumphclub.org/Gathering/index.htm

- weekend of April 21st. MG is the featured marque. Seems they had about 180 cars last year and they're planning for 200 this year. I'm planning on attending if the stars line up just right. Anyone else going?