PDA

View Full Version : Early engind / late Transmission

Trevor Triumph
06-16-2001, 12:44 AM
I have a MK I engine and a late transmission (single rail) with overdrive. They need to become one. My Triumph Club friend says all I have to do is install a 20 spline friction plate and I'm good to go. Yes, I do have the proper drive shaft. This seems too easy. Any ideas?

Basil
06-16-2001, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Trevor Triumph:
I have a MK I engine and a late transmission (single rail) with overdrive. They need to become one. My Triumph Club friend says all I have to do is install a 20 spline friction plate and I'm good to go. Yes, I do have the proper drive shaft. This seems too easy. Any ideas?

If everything else lines up, give it a try. By the way, welcome to the forum! I see you are right next door in AZ? Cool.

Basil

------------------
https://www.britishcarforum.com/files/basil.gif
1967 Jaguar E-Type OTS
1E13333, Silver Blue

Trevor Triumph
08-01-2001, 09:12 PM
I think I have the answer to the single rail transmission and the Mk. I/II engine. A 1500 flywheel form a parts yard, a 1500 clutch kit and a set of bolts and sleeves from Rimmer Bros.I haven't put everything together yet so stay tuned...
Originally posted by Basil:
If everything else lines up, give it a try. By the way, welcome to the forum! I see you are right next door in AZ? Cool.

Basil

Basil
08-01-2001, 10:28 PM
Good luck. Keep us posted how it comes out!

Basil

Trevor Triumph
10-26-2001, 09:21 PM
Finally we have the late oberdrive installed!!!!! It works well- we got 39 miles to the gallon from Phoenix to Blythe CA last week end. The 1500 fly wheel and clutch bolted right up- with the help of the parts we bought from Rimmer Bros. It drops the rpm by 700. It quieter. The troble is the automatic hill detector works even better. I forget to shift out of overdrive going up hills. It is a small price to pay for reduced revs and noise and increaced gas mileage and engine life. TT.

Basil
10-27-2001, 01:15 AM
Dang! 39MPG that's not too shabby! Better than by 4 cyl Saturn even.

Basil