PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau Cover

John Morralee
11-01-2003, 09:22 PM
In the restoration of my'63BJ7 I have two tubes which I can not find a home for.All along I have assumed they supported the tonneau cover ,from underneath, when it is in place.They are about 1ins.dia.1/16 wall,one is reduced in diameter at one end for about 2ins.so they can be joined together by slipping one within the other.This also allows for adjustment to suit car width ;at the other end they both bend down thro. 90 Degrees. There are housings on the hood mounting fittings to accept these ends.With these bars in place the tonneau can not be installed:too tight and too much bulging upwards.End of story.

CharlieCarpenter
11-01-2003, 11:05 PM
John: I have a 63 BJ7 also. Similiar problem too. But the real problem is the soft top & frame. It needs to be forced down. Push the rear seat back forward and fold the plastic window neatly and get that frame shoved down!! Once done it will fit. I did it. Good luck.

John Loftus
11-02-2003, 06:30 PM
John,

You are correct. The bar assembly is to support the tonneau cover but your tonneau must be too tight. Make sure the bars are inserted all the way into the receptical tubes. The bar assembly should be level when inserted, not bending up in the middle (I only mention this in case your bars have been damaged in any way). Most likely someone installed the new tonneau snaps without the bars underneath. You could try to let the cover get very hot and pliable by placing it in the sun and then try to stretch it into place. If you can get it to go, just leave it on for a few weeks or months to stretch it out.

Cheers,
John

Bob Hughes
11-07-2003, 05:38 AM
Do the tubes look to be factory made, one inch seems a bit wide, should be nearer half that. The reduced diameters fitting one into another are only slightly reduced to allow for the wall thickness of the metal, there should be no shoulder at the end of the tubes entering the tube in the wheel arch. It is common to fit up replacement covers when they are slightly warm so that they can be a taught fit in service and it can take a bit of effort to put them on when the weather is cold.

graemlins/cheers.gif graemlins/england.gif

Bob