PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Installing Piston Liners 60 TR3

Tinkerman
11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I know, I know. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving day BUT it is also the day I plan to install my piston liners YEA. A LONG awaited day I might add. My question is, does anyone have any words of wisdom about the project, and no I don't have the nifty factory installation tool. I do have a block of wood and a sturdy mallet. I might add that they came with the car which I bought it in 1989. They have survived 7 moves and are looking good.
Anyhow any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Tinkerman
Thanks, Tinkerman

Don Elliott
11-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Clean off all the gook etc from the top of the block and down inside bottom. Some people skin a thou or two off the top of the block to make sure it's flat. Put in new figure 8 gasket seals at the bottom. Clean the liners if dirt etc. is on the end surfaces. Clean them inside and out. Leave some oil on the inside diameters. Place them into the block. If they are numbered put them in sequence. Follow the instructions in the book. When they are in, the top of the liners should protrude above the block. Later when you put the head gasket and head on and then torque it down, the gasket will compress and the protruding bit will form a good seal.

YankeeTR
11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Like Don said...clean...clean...clean...

TRTEL
11-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Are you going to fit them with or without the pistons and rods. Either way have some method ready to hold them in place outside of the tool in the manual. I usually hold off on installing the studs until late in the process anyway, using instead at least one 1.5" or 1.25"-1/2 NC bolt per liner with one or two large washers to hold the liner in position while you're either fitting the pistons or torquing down the rods etc. to avoid leaks around the figure 8's. Which reminds me I'm just about to do the same thing and wonder if there is an improvement in gasket compounds. Used to use permatex non hardening or a 3M product that I'm sure isn't around anymore. Don't know if
there is a suitable type of silicone product or not. Suggestions?
Tom Lains
TS8651 & 58107

Tinkerman
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm using WelSeal, bought from Moss and recomended in Williams book. Used it on a couple of other applications and it is goopy but seemed to work fine.
Cheers, Tinkerman

Tinkerman
11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Well, the deed is done all liners in, YEA! Pistons come next. It was really a non-event, so to speak, went together just like the manual said. I am reasonably estatic.
Cheers, Tinkerman

YankeeTR
11-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Now go eat some turkey.....