PDA

View Full Version : Emergency bonnet release

ScottTR6
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
A back up bonnet release cable seems like a great idea. Can anyone comment on the Jim Shear system available from the NCTA website? Is there a better or alternative idea out there? Thanks as always, Andrew. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

tomshobby
11-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I installed this one and am very happy with it.

https://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/Parts/triumph_accessories.htm

CinneaghTR
11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

I have the Macy's Garage kit and it works great. Check eBay. I think I have seen it for even less there.

11-20-2006, 01:05 PM
The cost is pretty much irrelevant when compared to the aggravation when your current release goes. Ask me how I know!

11-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I had a buddy in the Army way back in 1971 who had just taken delivery on his brand new 71 TR6. He was so proud, having driven his TR4 for 6 years. When he pulled up to the base from the dealership in Texas, he popped the bonnet release to show us all the wonders of his new baby. The release broke.

Buy the aforementioned emergency release. The best money you will spend, ever.

ROADSTR6
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I second the Macy's Garage unit. It's simple to install and works great. I now use it as my primary release.

Dave

ScottTR6
11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Just ordered the Macy's unit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Andrew

Aldwyn
11-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I simply bought a new cable and trunnion... pushed out the rubber stopper from the passanger side firewall, pulled the cable through, ran the old cable AND the new cable through the catch, secured it with the new trunion, and voila! Emergency release catch that works like a charm for about $9, which is tight, and above the passanger footwell where no one can see it!

I can take a pic or two if anyone is curious.

Now, if the catch itself breaks off (which I doubt it would, since it's steel), then I am in trouble!

- Aldwyn

Geo Hahn
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I too use a simple cable, on my TR4 there was an unused hole with a rubber plug, perhaps the same as Aldwyn's 6.

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/bonnet%20release.JPG

The red arrow is left over from when I sent this photo to somene trying to visualize where/how to poke a screwdriver thru the firewall to get his bonnet open... I am sure he would have been happy to have had either system.

DougF
11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
This release is a must have. Good stocking stuffer.

Aldwyn
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Yours is better, Geo! The 6 only has a hole facing toward the carbs, so the cable cuts at an angle. Yours, being direct, is much less likely to break as well!

tomshobby
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
But Geo does not have heater hoses in the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul Johnson
11-20-2006, 09:55 PM
I used the handle from a gallon paint can. Place it through the lever and twist back once - it'll never come loose. The other end will head straight for the side panel. Drill a small hole there, install a grommet and run the handle through it. Now inside the car, above the passenger's leg area, you'll find the handle. Make a nice finger loop. It's easy enough to reach, out of the way, not visible, and will never fail you. Plus it's cheap. I've thrown out the original, never to be used again.