PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump

Kirk_Fisher
11-19-2006, 09:36 PM
My fuel pump is leaking. I ordered a new one from Victoria British. Moss did not have one, as they said they were having problems with them and won't sell any until the issue is resolved to their satisfaction. The one I got from VB doesn't work and is being returned. I am not sure another one from VB will be any better. They may be from same source as Moss???

Any suggestions?

trrdster2000
11-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Kirk, buy the Fuel pump repair kit on Ebay or Roadster Factory and fix the one you have. Last I saw was around $20 and some shipping. Wayne

Geo Hahn
11-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Certainly rebuild if yours is an original AC with a priming pump. You might get by with just replacing the diaphragm. I, for one, would leave the check valves undisturbed (new ones will be in the rebuild kit) if they are staked in and functioning okay.

CinneaghTR
11-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Where is the leak?

If you have an original AC pump on the car, buy the rebuild kit from Moss or TRF.

I bought one of TRF's repro pumps over the summer (the PO trashed the original pump with incorrect fittings). It even had the priming lever. The seals weeped a little at first, but it has settled in nicely.

guzzul
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Funny, I replaced one in my Spit also, and it seems to be kind of off-and-on. I spoke with the tech guy at TRF and he didn't mention a general problem with them, but also said he didn't have any more either. I wonder if they're coming from the same supplier. These things should be pretty simple.

Don Elliott
11-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Cinneagh - If the threaded holes were ruined, use the top from a new pump with the new threaded holes and assemble it onto the lower section from the ruined unit. Use a re-build kit - and voila (as we say here in French Canada) you will have a fuel pump like an original one with the priming lever on the bottom. This will impress the TRA or VTR judges but even more important, - the priming lever is a very useful item.

Don Elliott
11-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Kirk - Is your fuel leaking from the flange between the upper and lower parts ? If so, a quick fix will cost $2.00. Buy 2 small 1" "C" clamps and clamp the 2 parts together. Make them tight but don't break off the flange. Altenatively, if the threads are stripped from the holes in the bottom part because someone over tightened the screws previously, you can buy longer 10-32 UNF screws and use a lock washer and a nut under the flange. I think this will work on 3 or 4 of the holes. You could also ask a machine shop to install "Heli-coils" in these stripped holes and the threads will be like new again.

CinneaghTR
11-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Don,

That is an idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

It's funny. The repro pump from TRF had the priming lever and works great. I ordered the repro with the understanding that it would not have the lever and got one with the lever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
The replacement pump for the TR6 from TRF is Italian-made. Look very similar to the OE pump. I just changed mine and it works very well. Not sure if the other vendors carry the same pump, but I do know that TRF had these in stock a few weeks back. Several years ago, whatever aftermarket fuel pumps that were out there were all pretty pitiful. These new Italian jobs are pretty nice.

guzzul
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Not the same supplier as for the Spitfire. Actually, the one I have is Canadian-made (from Winnipeg).

Kirk_Fisher
11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
This is the car I rescued from 6 years of storage in my neighbors garage. I ordered a fuel pump as part of my master parts order. I thought that I would just replace it as part of preventive maintenance.

The old one was leaking around the lines. I put new lines on when I installed the new one. It would not put out enough pressure, so I re-installed the old one. It was doing fine until last night. I smelled gas as I backed it into the garage and later noticed a good size puddle of gas under the car. It was too dark to tell where it was coming from. It may be a line or ________? I'll have to check it better in more light.

Don Elliott
11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Kirk - If it was fine, then all of a sudden it started to leak, then it's not the flange seal or screws that are a problem. I can't believe you have a leak from the pump itself. It sounds like a rusted pipe, a loose fitting or a rotten rubber hose.

Geo Hahn
11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, I would also suspect the line cnnections, esp the metal line connected to the outlet... that one relies on a well-seated olive on the line and (on mine) can require quite a bit of tightening to seal it properly.

How did you conclude that the new pump you tried did not put out enough pressure? When operating correctly these pumps have a very low pressure, more a series of spurts than a pressurized stream.

11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
There is a little voodoo in tightening compression fittings. (that is what those little olive fittings are called, besides olive fittings) Tighten too much and you ruin them and they leak. Not tight enough and they leak.

And, never, never reuse a compression fitting.

And, as far as suddenly seeing a gas leak, compression fittings that have been overtightened will work, till someone bumps the line or it is re-tightened even more. Instant leak.

I also think, and I could be wrong, that the type that plumbing supplies sell might well be different than those that you get specifically for gas pump lines. I have always gotten a bagful from TRF and keep them as spares. I think Dave or someone at Moss once told me there is a difference. Does anyone know for a fact?