PDA

View Full Version : New motor with Toyota is in!!

CaptRoy
11-19-2006, 07:49 PM
After a weekend of work the motor and trans are bolted in...

Here's a picture of the Toyota trans bolted to the TR4A engine ready to go in...

https://capt-roys.com/toyota.JPG

Bolted up front and back...

https://capt-roys.com//it's%20in%202.jpg

Now I'm ready to start adding the rest of the engine... Ignition, fuel pump, carbs, headers, alternator...

I really want to have on the road by Dec/Jan... Boy am I getting behind on those honeydos...

Harry_Ward
11-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Spectacular!

The honey dos or do nots will be there when you are done so it's good to see you have your priorities in order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

CinneaghTR
11-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Interesting. Is this the HVDA, Autogear or is it your own conversion?

trrdster2000
11-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Looks good and neat too. Hope it runs well with all the goodies you have put on, it should ROCK. Wayne

bluemiata90
11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
It looks great and I'm very interested in this conversion. Let us know if this was your own conversion or a kit. I'm assuming it's a 5 speed toyota trans from what model toyota?. Let us know how it runs out.

CaptRoy
11-19-2006, 09:25 PM
The transmission is a Herman conversion kit... Any yea, we called him more than once this weekend and he kept us on the right track... It all fit well so far... I'll let you know how it runs on the road...

Brosky
11-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Sweet, Roy, very, very sweet indeed!! Keep us posted.

And congratulations.

11-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice, Roy, very nice.

Why not consider an Optima gel battery to avoid any battery acid spillage on that beautiful engine bay. I know you have a plastic tray, but those crack and leak as well. Small price to pay for insurance.

prb51
11-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Roy,
Looks great. Our 3's are the same color from the look of things. Did you have to use a 4a flywheel for this to work or did you rework your original FW. What clutch did you use? I'm considering the same conversion.

CaptRoy
11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
I used a TR4A flywheel as it has the same bolt pattern as the TR6 pressure plate. I used a TR6 Pressure plate made by LUX as this is the one Herman suggests. Herman supplies the clutch plate with Toyota splines with a TR6 size.

It is really agreat kit but his instructions leave a little to be desired. I emailed PeterK several times since he went through it before I did and we both agree that Herman should get input from us that have been through it and update the instruction manual. But all is well as of now... I think?? Thanks Peter!!!

prb51
11-21-2006, 08:12 PM
A question about the clutch disc. It is TR6 size with toyota splines but is it available anywhere or is this a special made/modified item that needs sourcing from the kit maker?

CaptRoy
11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Now that's a good question...I just don't know.. I'll ask Herman the next time I talk to him...

martx-5
11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
I talked to Herman about just this scenario, and was thinking about buying an additional clutch disc as a spare. He said that he has the discs made up special. He just uses various parts from different clutches. He said it's no big deal to have any clutch remanufacturer put new linings on his clutch disc, or replicate the clutch disc itself. I suppose that's true and all, but I'm not going to worry about it for know, as the clutch disc will probably out live me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Actually I have one in the garage if anyone needs one. I have a 'slightly' uprated clutch disk in - so this was superfluous...

Kirk_Fisher
11-21-2006, 11:01 PM
I have mixed feelings on this. I am kind of a purist. Other than highway/interstate driving, why would you want a 5-speed Toyota gearbox?

bluemiata90
11-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Smooth shifting and reliablity. I don't presently have this setup in my TR3, but I am considering it. If you've never driven a Toyota 5 speed, they shift like butter. I've owned several Toyotas and always enjoyed the response and feel of the manual. Toyota reliabilty is without question top grade. Plus as you mentioned, the 5th gear would be great on the expressway. At least those are the reasons that I would install a Toyota manual.

martx-5
11-22-2006, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have mixed feelings on this. I am kind of a purist. Other than highway/interstate driving, why would you want a 5-speed Toyota gearbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a purist, then this is not for you. But to answer why...

1. Your TR trans is kaput and needs rebuilding. No sense in throwing good money after bad.
2. You want an overdive trans.
3. You don't ever want to have to rebuild a trans again.
4. Your upping the horsepower to 200 at the rear wheels and you need a trans that won't self destruct.
5. Your tired of leaky seals, funky throw out bearings and cross shaft pins shearing off.
6. You like how slick the Toyota trans shifts.
7. You think it's a neat idea.
8. You want to help support Herman.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

11-22-2006, 07:28 AM
One good reason for using the HDVA Toyota 5-speed conversion is dealing with Herman Van Den Akker. One of the nicest and most knowledgeable car nuts that you will ever have the pleasure to know. I spent a few hours talking with Herman at the recent VTR convention this summer in Dallas. Herman has forgotten more than I will ever know about these cars and is willing and eager to share all his knowledge with you. He actually drove his TR250 from California to Dallas for the show. Herman and his lovely wife enjoyed every mile. (He was 72 when we last spoke.)

I have the Quantum J-type in my car but would consider the HDVA conversion if I were in the market.

The only downside to me would be the fact that it is so easy to let my pinky shift into and out of overdrive in traffic.

Kirk_Fisher
11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I hope I didn't come across sounding like an ass, as I did not intened to. It just seems like a lot of work and money, and I wasn't sure what benefit there would be beyond the expressway cruising.

gsalt57tr3
11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to enter the second tranny build in 3 months when I decided to get the HDVA. For about the same price I got a modern transmission.

As far as being a purist, if I wanted to be that much of a purist, I think I would have gotten into Model A collecting. Since I'm into British car DRIVING, why not improve on a good thing?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jerrybny
11-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Very nice. Keep the pictures coming.

Alan_Myers
11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have mixed feelings on this. I am kind of a purist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I just really like the Triumph gearbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

In fact, I feel gearboxes are one thing Triumph consistently did pretty darned well, within the limitations of technology of the day. Plus, there are now available a variety of developments - such as much improved OD clutches, better bearings, etc. - that can be used to improve the original stuff to some degree. With 40 to 50 years of racing experience behind it, the TR gearbox can be built to be pretty strong. It's a little more costly doing that, and parts aren't as commonly available, but a lot's possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Other than highway/interstate driving, why would you want a 5-speed Toyota gearbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

A TR gearbox with OD is probably about equal to the Toyota for highway cruising. Some differences are that the Toy 5-speed is quite a bit lighter in weight than the combined TR g'box & OD. Theoretically the Toy 5-speed might handle higher HP that some seriously uprated engines might produce. The 5-speed conversion kit is generally a little cheaper than a good, rebuilt TR g'box w/OD. In fact, the Toy 5-speed might be a *whole lot* cheaper if you luck out and find a good, working box locally and put things together on your own (But, it also might be more expensive doing this, if you run into problems!)

In it's favor, the TR g'box w/OD is an effective 6 or 7-speed (depending upon configuration), which could be more performance-oriented (i.e., extra gear ratios in between 2nd & 3rd, 3rd & 4th, as well as the OD top gear). Also, the Toy 5-speed might disqualify a car from some types of vintage racing, etc., or bump the car into a modified class where it struggles to be competitive.

Heck, I'd certainly drive and enjoy a TR with a Toyota 5-speed in it, wouldn't criticize anyone for taking that route and applaud Herman for helping keep our old cars on the road and enjoyable. But, given the choice, I'd still probably opt for the TR gearbox w/OD whenever possible, all other things being equal. This is just personal preference!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif