PDA

View Full Version : Seat reupholstery and still on the fly

Winston
11-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi all,
This winters project is removing both original seats and having them redone by a professional and still being able to get from point A to point B while the seats are in the shop.
I have found an inexpensive possibily at www.SummitRacing.com (https://www.SummitRacing.com) the current holiday edition.
The hard copy catalog on page 252 shows a seat and cover with brackets at $59.95 for the seat and $18.95 for one bracket set.The part numbers are SUM-CSUM101 for the seat and SUM-G1151 for the bracket.
I've talked to the Tech folks and the dimensions are :32" high/21" wide and 20.5" deep.
They do not say they are DOT approved but I don't think the local gendarmes would have a problem or may know the difference.Re: Iowa code chapter 321.
I have two concerns , one is obvious the 21" width. It looks very very close to a fit, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, and the bracket may well set astride the frame rail and I won't be drilling any holes through those.
Anybody seen these animals ? Would they be a safe alternative for the winter? Or should I just pull the seats and let the other work I would like to do over the cold months wait.
Thanks as always for your input.

DougF
11-18-2006, 01:23 PM
If you are looking for an excellent job on the original seats, contact Larry Learn at Learn's Upholstery in Indiana, PA. He has years of experience working on Triumph interiors.
He is very busy, so the lead time could be months. He's very good to work with and won't do you wrong.

Geo Hahn
11-18-2006, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This winters project is removing both original seats...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered having one seat done at a time? Even if the seats are 'handed' (as they are on a late-TR4) I would think the passenger seat would still fit on the drivers side (though admitedly I haven't tried this).

Or, get yurself a rootbeer case...

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/franks.JPG

Lou Metelko
11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Definitely will second DougF's recommendation to ship the seats to Larry Learn in Indiana, PA. Larry's work with interiors for the side screen cars is legendary. Find Larry at 724-465-8661. To his credit he ain't got no stinkin' web site.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana