PDA

View Full Version : My new Triumph floorboard removing tool.....plasma



11-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Got my new Hypertherm Powermax 380 Plasma Torch in today (had to chase the UPS driver down) and spent the afternoon setting it up. This baby is 115/230 volts and requires an outside source of compressed air. I got a neat air dryer cartridge and installed it into the side of the unit. Got all set up, ready to cut up some scrap steel....and poof!, I tripped my circuit breaker. Darn. I called Hypertherm (nice people) and they said sounds like I need a dedicated circuit with a 30 amp breaker. (I also had a very long, super-heavy duty extension cord so I could cut outside.) Definitely need more amps. Or, I may just have my electrician just go ahead and run a 230/20amp dedicated line. Just flip a switch on the machine for 230V. I felt like a kid at Christmas. Shucks, I was ready to cut some steel.

The good part is I convinced my wife that I can now make some "garden art" for her landscaping. You know, those bizarre little metal gates, figures and angels women want in their gardens.

It's what we do.

I will have to wait a week or so before I can report back on the progress of my skills with a plasma torch. Now I am looking hard at those shark-gill fender vents. I am going to get myself in trouble.

I think I am burning the candle at both ends and the middle so I won't think about personal issues. Keeping busy is a good thing. If I don't break something, like me.


Bill

Harry_Ward
11-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Bill,

Did you try to run the plasma cutter on the outlet you use for your mig welder. If it's a 110v mig it requires a dedicated minimum 12/3 wire with a twenty or twentyfive amp breaker. The mig outlet may run your new toy depending on what your trying to melt and how long you run it. Then again depending on how long your extension cord is might have caused the breaker to trip as well. A shorter cord is better even if it is heavy duty. BTW - Busy is a good thing!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PeterK
11-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Bill,

If the extension cord is longer than 10' or so, it's cutting down on the amps you get. Try the plasma plugged in directly to the wall jack. I've seen many compressors fail to start because of an extension cord. May work to play a bit but a dedicated circuit is the final answer.

Brosky
11-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Do you have an extension cord that will reach to Puerto Rico? If so, I'd like to introduce you to a guy named Tinster.

Harry_Ward
11-17-2006, 09:12 PM
No Way No How - NO plasma Cutter For Dale! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif
Wendy won't need the crusher she would need a fire truck.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

11-17-2006, 10:19 PM
That is exactly what the tech guy told me about not using a long extension cord. Even though the one I tried was about as big around as my thumb, he said it was too long. He did suggest a 30 amp breaker. Can't wait!