PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire revival!

Basil
11-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Woohoo! I am finally going to get my Spitfire sorted out! I had the engine rebuilt several years ago with flat-top pistons, a Kent hot street cam, dual Weber 40's and headers such that it ran like a little banshee! But it has always had a persistent oil leak out the back end, most noticeable when you shut it off. Also, the power curve has never been right with the stock distributor, etc. Well, a friend of mine is a Master Jag mechanic (and knows pretty much all British cars like the back of his hand) and he is going to help me get it set up properly! He is sure he can cure the oil leak and will re-curve the distributor, and re-jet the carburetors for optimum performance! He is giving me a big break on his hourly cost because I helped him design and set up his web site! I canít wait!

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

CinneaghTR
11-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Great news!! Hope the sorting out goes quickly!

TheAssociate
11-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Excellent! Tough to get the spits running perfect isn't it?

Adam H.
__________________________________________________ __________
1972 Triumph Spitfire.

Harry_Ward
11-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Basil,

I am truly glad to hear you decided to keep that Spitfire. It looks great! I must have looked at it six times in the classifieds and almost had my son convinced to buy it after his 90 Buick tranny blew up. His mother being more sensible than his father and with winter coming opted and convinced him to look at and buy more modern transportation.

Good luck with the new set up and seal install.

myspitfire
11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Great news your keeping the Spit Basil!I fervently believe ANYONE relieving themselves of a Spitfire ALWAYS REGRETS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif THAT DECISION;Wishing they had it back,theirs something about owning a Spitfire & Herald that gets under your skin.,unlike any other car.And it simply is about going full circle & getting back to basics,its just ALL ABOUT SEAT OF YOUR PANTS DRIVING FUN no other car creates that.INMHO.
Kenswhitelightning (Q & UQ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gifCongratulations

Basil
11-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, my effort to sell her was really sort of half-hearted anyway. I really think if I can get her running properly she still has many years of fun to provide!

My wife and I had a Spitfire shortly after we were married (pre-kids) and it was such a great little car to tool around in. I had always wanted another one after I sold that one (when kid #1 arrived).

Basil

Basil
11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent! Tough to get the spits running perfect isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif