PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Side?

DougF
11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Is there any significance to George LUCAS and THE DARK SIDE?
Is the man a British car enthusiast? Or is this something out of the Lucas family closet?

jerrybny
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
When driving my TR6 the force is always with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

martx-5
11-16-2006, 07:18 PM
I guess if you are refering to LBC's, then LUCAS most likely means a sojorn into the DARK SIDE. Everywhere else, the dark side generally refers to going forced induction...turbo or superchargers. My Miata has gone over to the dark side, my TR3 restoration...well, I'll probably put in Dan Master's harness, so hopefully, that car WON'T venture over to the dark side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

John_Mc
11-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I was just thinking about that today (not about GEORGE Lucas, but about the dark Lucas reputation) and I decided that, truth be told, I wished my computers worked as well as my TR6's electrical system! I think poor Lucas has been much maligned. (well, except for the the dash light rheostat!)

Harry_Ward
11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Ssssshhhhheeeeeeeeeeesssshhhhhh! be quiet, very, very, quiet and only whisper about these dark things! One can only hope a certain 47 year old TR3 with all original just about everything Lucas electrical (Ok the generator's a Lucas rebuilt) don't find out it was suppose to be dead and burn't up about forty three years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Almost forgot the original question - Joseph Lucas was referred to as the Prince of Darkness. Lucas electrical systems had a very bad rap due to wires cracking insultors falling off, and electrical components generally failing.

R6MGS
11-16-2006, 09:51 PM
I always thought the dark side ment `rumph ownership? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

DougF
11-17-2006, 12:31 AM
When talking to people about British cars the first thing I always heard was, "Oh wow, they have all metric nuts and bolts, don't they!" Followed with some comment about Lucas electricals. I will speak quietly when I say I've only had one electrical problem that caused smoke in almost 20 years of Triumphing. My turn signal switch decided to crap out one morning before a club event. A little tape, and I was one my way.
Every other electrical problem has been ground or butt connector related. Yes, I understand that those stinking connectors must be included in the whole picture. But, that problem has been solved, so I expect clean sailing from here on...until the next time.
BTW Harry, my TR3 is in the same boat. Soon to be 47 years and everything original but the rebuilt generator. Maybe our cars conspired together.

JamesWilson
11-17-2006, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or is this something out of the Lucas family closet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ask, don't tell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif