PDA

View Full Version : "Index of Performance" Race

aeronca65t
11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
In many classic, international road races of the past, a trophy was presented for "the index of performance". The 24-Hours of LeMans was well-known for this in the past.

Our club has worked out a modified (and I think, more interesting) version of this.

On Nov 18 (Saturday), at Summit Point (West Virginia), we will run our annual 4-Hour Twilight Enduro.
I'll be there with Spridget #11 or Sprite #23 depending on which one is faster (or "less slow"?).
The start will be based on an "index of performance" developed from 20+ years of running this event by EMRA.
Small bore cars start first and some of the fastest cars start as much as 30 minutes later.

This creates a sort of four-hour sprint race where no one is "coasting" at the end.
Our Spridgets have actually lead overall in past years.
(OK, "briefly" lead ). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The race starts just before sundown and goes into the night, so there are some great "headlights blazing" photo-ops.
Camping is decent with showers and restrooms on site. Stop by if you're in the area.

To read about a past adventure of our Spridget team at this event ~GO HERE~ (https://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6251) :

More info about the 2006 event here:
https://www.emraracing.org/Emraeven.htm

Note: If you're coming to SP for this event and have a wireless laptop, go to the EMRA website first and download the timing software....you can keep up with the event in realtime.

rileyimp
11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Another group that does these "Fox and Hound" races on occasion are the folks at VDCA. They are a blast in a small bore car.

Hap Waldrop
11-17-2006, 08:19 AM
We did a index race in a vinntage Sprite a few years back, we started first because of the sprite times, we actaully led to the last lap (it was a sprint race) and ended up forth overall as we got passed by three larger HP cars on the last lap, it was kinda cool.

tr8todd
11-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Back when I was a track coach, I used to do somehing similar with the kids. The younger slower runners would leave first and the older kids would gradually be allowed to chase them. It was a great way of making sure that the stars of the team would not slack off. The first ten back would get the rest of the day off to play basketball or something other than more running.