PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Sealer

CaptRoy
11-13-2006, 08:21 PM
I was informed by Ted at TSI that my motor will be delivered tomorrow!

So.. I need to put on the water pump and several other parts before I put it in the car this weekend.

What do you guys (and gals) recommend for gasket sealer. I have Auto Zone and O'Rily close by...

Wait until you see the pictures of the headers done by Jet Hot in their satin...You'd think they were chrome not ceramic coated!

Thanks

Alan_Myers
11-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi,

I'd suggest Hylomar, if you can find it. It used to be marketed in the U.S. by Permatex. But the two companies went their separate ways a few years ago. So, it's not as widely distributed now. I think Permatex is now making something of their own that's very similar, if you can't find the real thing. This would be especially good for the water pump. I generally use it anywhere a non-hardening sealer is preferred, for occasional disassembly and servicing. Parts can be put into use immediately, no need to wait for the stuff to set or dry. It can handle pretty high pressures, too.

You weren't specific what other places you needed to seal up. For very infrequently disassembled parts, I might use a hardening sealer instead. (Such as the figure 8 gaskets under the cylinder sleeves in the 4 cyl. tractor motor.)

On very frequently disassbled parts that aren't under any pressure and have a heavy gasket, I'd use sealer on one side only, to retain the gasket in position. (Example: valve cover gasket.)

I'd suggest avoiding any RTV sealers/gasket-makers. They're notorious for flaking off chunks inside an engine and clogging up water and oil passages. I'm always baffled why there are so many of that type sealer on most auto stores' shelves. That stuff might be okay used to caulk the trim around a garage door... I suppose. That's probably as close as it will get to my car, though.

DougF
11-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I have had excellent results with The Right Stuff, also by Permatex. Available in caulk tube or cheese whiz aerosol can.
Good with all fluids except gasoline.
I've used it on water pumps with no paper gasket, tightened the bolts, and started the car. No leaks. Seals almost instantly.
Black in color, so it doesn't stand out on our engine blocks. Great stuff.

11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Again, another opinion. I personally cannot get any satisfaction from Hylomar. Just me. I prefer Permatex Aviation Sealer. Brown, gooey, sticky...works very well for my oil pan, water pump, thermostat, valve cover, fuel pump, even have a little under part of my head gasket.

Bill

PeterK
11-13-2006, 11:15 PM
That's Permatex Aviation FormAGasket #2 non-hardening. I agree, great all-purpose for the engine incl. waterpump.

I have my headers Jet-Hot Silver too and they really are nicely done inside and out.

11-14-2006, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's Permatex Aviation FormAGasket #2 non-hardening. I agree, great all-purpose for the engine incl. waterpump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, don't confuse the Permatex Aviation Non-Hardening #2B in a tube with the one that I prefer, that would be the Permatex Aviation in a little jar with a wick brush in the cap. This product never hardens and stays pliant and seals very, very well. A bit messy but very effective.
I have found the the 2B product hardens too much for my purposes.

Just a comparison.

Bill