PDA

View Full Version : New Gal

tateboys
11-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi! I'm thrilled to find this forum--I devoured the Autoist's webpage yesterday (feel like I know you, Tony). Here's the dish on me: Mom to 4 boys, wife of an unbelieveable MGB nut (who sold his '76 MGB in 1992 to help buy our first house--he'd bought it NEW!!!). So here I am, hoping to replace that B (however, not tied to any particular year). Been researching and looking ever since. By the way, any chance the Great Pumpkin took a drive to Athens today to buy a cute yellow MGB with a bad carb? Well, any help in my search will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains! Happy motoring (hopefully I'll be there soon)...

Basil
11-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the fun!

Basil

tony barnhill
11-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Welcome - no, I'm in B'ham w/grandson....but,tell me about the B in Athens...

R6MGS
11-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Welcome - It's not often we get a "new gal"...I interrupted my usual order of forum reading and read this fisrt!

tateboys
11-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Found it at www.nashvillebritishcarclub.com (https://www.nashvillebritishcarclub.com) in the classified section. It's the '77 b for sale by Ben. He emailed that someone was coming Saturday (yesterday) w/a trailer. I'd read (and absorbed) about how you buy a car ($100 bills, trailer, etc.) and wondered if it might be you. Must've been another b lover. Anyway, I'm honored you posted back--I really love your website. Been all over it, from how to buy a car (which I've decided the best way is to just take you with me), to your Alaska trip (did you figure out which house was Sly Stallone's?) Anyway, I'm looking for a good b for my hubby, but now I'm getting addicted (he may have to find his own...)

tony barnhill
11-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Well, we'll have to help you find one...what are you looking for? driver? project?

tateboys
11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Don't know if I have the stomach for a project (don't want to be an MGB widow), so I'm going w/driver. He likes chrome bumpers (was '68 a good year?) Seems to be partial to that. Has experience with engine, so can do some work. I'd like a decent interior/exterior (I am a girl after all--don't like sitting in a rust bucket). And, he is a guy, so he likes RED. I however, like blue and primrose yellow. Thanks again for taking a chick under your wing!

DrEntropy
11-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Welcome!

I gotta say you have a most noble lifemate! Sell the MG?!? For a HOUSE?!?! WHOA... he's a keeper.

This bunch will help you find his reward, certes. The early cars are the least complex. Aim for something pre-68.

Again, welcome. Jump right in.

tateboys
11-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Yep, he's a KEEPER! I was pregnant w/our 1st child at the time, so he gave up his baby for a new baby. We went to see the Bs at the Hilton Head Concours last weekend, and I could see it in his eyes--he was in love (with a car, thank God). I decided it was time to fulfill his fantasy (at least the one involving a B--not the one w/me and a brunette...)

Sherlock
11-12-2006, 09:23 AM
So does he know yet? Or is this a surprise for him...

And welcome to the forum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tateboys
11-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Haven't told him yet--it's his Christmas present. However, once I find a good one, I will tell him. He gave up his baby and he's waited patiently for 14 years, so I want to make sure we get what he wants. But there is a part of me that wants him to open the garage and see a B there with a big red bow...

I've found one that looks good--I can email pics and info to anyone who's willing to give me their opinion. Thanks for being MGB nuts--world needs more people like you guys. Less wars if everybody's workin' or drivin' their Bs!!!

Steve
11-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Welcome, always good have another lady on board.

tony barnhill
11-12-2006, 07:21 PM
If the one you've found is near me, I'll be glad to give it a look see

tateboys
11-12-2006, 07:36 PM
It's in Covington, LA (near New Orleans). Probably a bit of a drive for you, and I'm gettin the feeling it's way overpriced. But I REALLY appreciate the offer. My hubby always said MG owners were tops (actually I think he said topLESS)--he wasn't kidding.

Seriously, I've got about $7k for this little Christmas present. Will that get me a nicely restored chrome bumper MGB?

tony barnhill
11-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes - but judge carefully before you buy....for 7K, it should be almost pristing....get Gerry Masterman to help you look them over - he's over near LSU.

Better yet, there are lots of guys in South Carolina - you're not too far from Charleston...get in touch with Wray Lemke...he own Mt Pleasant Radio just outside Charleston.

tateboys
11-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Actually, that was the only one in Louisiana I was looking at. I'm in SC (know a good guy here?) Thrilled to hear that $7k will get me a really nice B. Now to find the sweet little thing...

tony barnhill
11-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Go back up to my post...Wray Lemke is Charleston...or look on "theList" on my website...& contact David Maples in Augusta, GA

tateboys
11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry, 3-yr. old was asking me a question, must've missed that. Thanks again, Great Pumpkin...

DrEntropy
11-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Mehheh... "Great Pumpkin"!!!!

Kandace, you owe me a KEYBOARD!!!! Th' nostril BEER SNORT will be overlooked, as you're new here.

Get in contact with Lemke. And BE PATIENT!!!

jaybird
11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Welcome!!! It's always good to have another female here! There are a few of us.

Your hubby sold his B for a house. I'd sell my hubby for a B...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jaybird
11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Gerry Masterman is in Prarieville, but Randi & Zach are in Abbyville (Abbeyville, Abbieville) I know Zach would be happy to go check it out for you.

As far as prices, I bought my '75 2 years ago for $4000. RB will go for less $ than a chrome bumper though. But she was mechanically and 'physically' sound for that price. And looked good. And red.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateboys
11-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Jaybird. Nice to have some estrogen around here. And DrEntropy, your advice is duly noted. I will be patient and call Lemke. Sorry, the MGB bug seems to have bitten me...I'll try to get some anti-itch cream to calm me down! As for the keyboard, a little beer never hurt anything (usually helps)

jaybird
11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Girl, you don't even know the beginning of it. Next thing you know, you'll be out wrenching on that car. And, before your hubby even knows what hit him, the car will be named and you will stake claim on it. Then, you'll be hauling home a scraggly orphan to restore, allowing him to 'think' it is his car while he does all the 'hard' work on it and you pick the colors. Then, wallah, that one is yours too. Ask anyone here.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

It happens to the best of us. (the before pic of our 66 is in my sig line, the after is my avatar)

jaybird
11-12-2006, 10:00 PM
FYI, a little tip - the guys LOVE it when we start talking about shoes.

tateboys
11-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Well I wore a real nice pair of black penny loafers today with a cute silver bar across the front...

jaybird
11-12-2006, 10:16 PM

You're learning quick. We just need RG and Randi and Horsemits on at the same time. Then we can take this place over. Clear out the beer, get a nice cabernet, some flowers, a few VS catalogs instead of those silly Moss catalogs.

tateboys
11-12-2006, 10:24 PM
The guys might not actually mind the VS catalogs

R6MGS
11-13-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You're learning quick. We just need RG and Randi and Horsemits on at the same time. Then we can take this place over. Clear out the beer, get a nice cabernet, some flowers, a few VS catalogs instead of those silly Moss catalogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a stack of two VS catalogs on one side of the computer desk and a stack of 7 Moss catalogs on the other side. Is this some kinda conflict of interest? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tateboys
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Does 2 qualify as a stack? Looks like Moss wins.

tony barnhill
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a few VS catalogs instead of those silly Moss catalogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

& what exactly is wrong with Moss catalogs?

I use/buy from both....plus others.

R6MGS
11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does 2 qualify as a stack? Looks like Moss wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course MOSS wins...I've only got one wife, 9 cars...So the catalog ratio is really in her favor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tateboys
11-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Imagine if it were 9 wives and only 1 car

tony barnhill
11-15-2006, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shudder.....

michalotti_tr
11-15-2006, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I can barely handle the one thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

(one wife and seven cars)

tony barnhill
11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
If I had more than 1 wife, I wouldn't be able to afford all my cars! A man's gotta prioritize things...1 wife, multiple cars!

tateboys
11-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Here's Mark's response to this:

Wives and LBCs are very much alike--both require constant maintenance, need to be tinkered with if you want them to perform, and each one definitely has it's own personality. However, with wives, one if most assuredly ENOUGH!

I'm posting this under duress...

Basil
11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's Mark's response to this:

Wives and LBCs are very much alike--both require constant maintenance, need to be tinkered with if you want them to perform, and each one definitely has it's own personality. However, with wives, one if most assuredly ENOUGH!

I'm posting this under duress...

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure to jump into teh MG forum (or the Pub forum for stuff not related to MGs)

Basil

R6MGS
11-15-2006, 10:21 PM
aaaannnddd if your lucky enough you'll get a wife who encourages the collection of cars....Well the "cute" ones at least, I still can't convince her that I need a 69 Buick Riviera.