PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Shifter

PSUTR3B
11-11-2006, 11:32 AM
The shifter on my TR3B vibrates and makes a loud rattle sound anytime I am accelerating. It was anoying in the summer but with the top and curtains on it is even more so. If I keep my hand on the shifter the rattle sound goes away. I assume my hand and arm is just absorbing the vibration. I took the shifter knob off and it was still there, just not as loud. Any ideas of how to stop the vibration and eliminate or at least lessen the noise?

Don Elliott
11-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I t sound like the spring at the bottom of the shift lever needs attention. To get to this you will have to remove the seat cushions, the carpet and the steel tunnel over the gearbox. There is a long 1/4" 28 bolt and nut and the top "dome" that needs to be removed. Then you can pull out the shift lever in an upwards manner. There is a helical spiral spring that is some-what conical in shape and this may have borken, become weak or it may have been installed upside down at some previous time.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1920/ppuser/4127

DougF
11-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Where in PA are you located? What campus did you attend? WE ARE!....

mrv8q
11-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I have this exact problem in my '3. Moss claims that their replacement spring and small metal thingy will fix the problem. ISTR the spring is 1/8 inch shorter, and the small metal thingy allowed more play. Both those items are now sitting on my work bench. I regreased the area, put back the originals, and buttoned it up; it might have been a touch quieter, but I'm still seeking a better solution.... the Moss $3 answer ain't it!

DougF
11-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Were you careful to make sure the pieces did not fall out during installation? It is common for this to happen. When installing, use some grease to hold them into position.

mrv8q
11-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Here are the Moss parts I mentioned. I followed Doug's suggestion of applying grease to the old parts on assembly... if there are other ideas out there for getting rid of the rattle, besides a new HDVA 5 speed, I'd love to hear t!

PSUTR3B
11-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Don,
Thanks for the help. It sounds like a winter project. I put dum-dum along the edges of floorboard before installing the tunnel cover and I'm not looking forward to undoing that mess. I think I am tired enough of the rattle to try the fix and hope my result is better than Kevin's.
Doug,
I'm in Lancaster County and atually graduated from Gettysburg College--Which is a good reason to be a PSU fan. Season ticket holder for 23 years. PSU "bought" the law school from which I graduated so now I'm also a backdoor alum. BTW there is a great LBC show in Gettysburg each July. Depending on how west you are, it might be a fun day or weekend. If you are interested, it is on the LANCO MG website.

DougF
11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I've seen the show listing before and will one day make it.
I did have the opportunity in '93 when at the TRA national to do the Gettysburg car tour in my TR3. It was 96 degrees, but none of the three Triumphs touring overheated. The best thing we saw all day was the soft drink machine at the end.
Would like to make more trips to the area and spend a little more time around the battlefield.

Twosheds
11-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Kevin:

In the dark recesses of my burned-out memory, I recall reading an article about a fix for the dreaded gearshift rattle. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it. I
think it was a factory Service Bulletin. Also that the fix involved the use of plastic tubing. I didn't want to bring up a halfway answer to your question, but my curiosity is piqued and I will look for the article.

Found it! It's in Service School Data Book:

"In spite of the fact that the TR-3 incorporates an anti-rattle device at the lower end of the gear lever complaints are still being received by the Service Department that gear lever rattle or chatter is still being experienced by some owners of TR-3s.

This complaint can be very easily cured if the following procedure is adopted:

1. Undo lock nut and remove nut and gear lever knob.

2. Remove gear lever boot.

3. Remove the screw and bolt from the domed gear lever cap being careful not to let the gear lever rise up and disturb the anti rattle spring still in position.

4. Observing the precautions in step 3 withdraw the domed cap and domed washer leaving the coil spring still in position.

5. Examine the irregular shaped hole in the cap and if the edges of the hole show that the gear lever has been rubbing against the edges obtain more clearance at these points by filing the edges.

6. Obtain a piece of plastic hose 7/8" long and 3/8" bore and insert this hose over the gear lever and inside the coil spring.

7. To reassemble reverse the above procedure, smearing some grease on the top side of the domed washer before replacing the domed cap."

I hope this helps.

PSUTR3B
11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
John,
Thanks for the advice. I

PSUTR3B
11-12-2006, 08:42 PM
John,
I'm not sure how that happened, but thanks for looking that up. I'm going to try it. Hope it works so I don't have to explore a remedy that involves taking out the transmission tunnel. BTW your not THE Dr. John, are you?

Twosheds
11-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, I am THE Dr. John of the famous and highly regarded High Speed Triumph Research Laboratory. Don't know whom is the Dr. John to which you are referring. But you may call me THE Dr. John and I will answer.

mrv8q
11-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks, Dr. John, for taking the time to dig that up! We appreciate it! That'll be one of my projects when I lay my '3 up for some R&R this winter.... Thanks again!

Geo Hahn
11-13-2006, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...Don't know whom is the Dr. John to which you are referring...

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly: https://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist.aspx?ob=per&src=prd&aid=2765

Thanks for the tip on fixing the rattle, could hardly be easier. I love a repair I can do from the drivers seat.

PSUTR3B
11-13-2006, 09:34 PM
A bit of a twist. Since its a TR3B it has the TR4 full synchro trans which must have a thicker shift lever. Nothing 3/8" is fitting over it. When I took it apart, I did find that the long bolt thru the doomed cover and bottom of the shift lever was loose. In fact the nut was gone. I hope tightening that bolt will be the cure.