PDA

View Full Version : After the Whipping Post

11-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Folks,

I'm Sorry that a Strong Sense of Humor is Frowned Upon on this Board... Therefore, I will Refrain and Remove my Humorous Self and Move On to another Neck of the Woods in the Forest.

I Clear-Cut a Few Trees and Created a Little Village for Like-Minded Folks like Me to Visit on my AAW Site-- I hope Y'all Like It! We also have the Chatter Box which is Real Neat for Future Diagnostics & LIVE Get Togethers.

I hope to Continue to Support this Board from Time to Time because of All of You that are Out There having a Blast & Helping each Other!

Keep the Spirit Going!

Cheers!
Mike

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

swift6
11-10-2006, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folks,

I'm Sorry that a Strong Sense of Humor is Frowned Upon on this Board...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something here? Mike, Strong might not be the right word. Overpowering might be more like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
It would be boring if we were all the same though. It takes all kinds. While I have occasionally struggled to understand some of your humor, I see it as more of a challenge than an annoyance.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tomshobby
11-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Throughout history the written word has been the subject of countless and ongoing studies of translation and interpretation. It is only capable of partially conveying the author's message and then must be translated by the reader using that person's perception and state of mind at the time. The written word for example lacks facial expression, body posture, emotion, and voice inflection.

It is no wonder that from time to time there is a misunderstanding of someone's message. When forging new friendships and preserving old ones it is good to develop tolerance and understanding. And I suspect it is more so when doing this by using the written word. After all the best written message can only be a small indication of the true intent of the writers thoughts and feelings. Likewise the interpretation based on those words can at best only be a much lessor understanding of that intent.

GB1
11-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Mike:

What? Our paths never have crossed, because we are in different LBC lineages, but I have always enjoyed reading your posts and further, this will be a loss to some of us in this forum.

Patrick

Tinster
11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
We'll miss ya Bubba Mike!

Keep up yer great inner spirit.

tinster

swift6
11-10-2006, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Throughout history the written word has been the subject of countless and ongoing studies of translation and interpretation. It is only capable of partially conveying the author's message and then must be translated by the reader using that person's perception and state of mind at the time. The written word for example lacks facial expression, body posture, emotion, and voice inflection.

It is no wonder that from time to time there is a misunderstanding of someone's message. When forging new friendships and preserving old ones it is good to develop tolerance and understanding. And I suspect it is more so when doing this by using the written word. After all the best written message can only be a small indication of the true intent of the writers thoughts and feelings. Likewise the interpretation based on those words can at best only be a much lessor understanding of that intent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, well said, everyone joining any forum, email list, etc... should understand what you just wrote. The "Instant Graemlins" can help, they are also called "Emoticons" (Emotion Icons) to help clarify anger, sadness, joking, confusion etc... But it doesn't always work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Basil
11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
I was debating whether to address this, but have decided to do so just to clarify a few things. First of all, I have operated this forum for six years and done so at great personal expense (and an unbelievable amount of my time), for no other reason than the love of this hobby and wanting to provide folks with a forum where everyone feels welcomed regardless of the marque they drive. While I just recently began accepting donations to help me pay for the rather high cost of a dedicated server and dedicated bandwidth, this forum is now, and will always be, free for all to use. I don’t demand anything in return except that members who choose to sign up and participate respect the few rules I have here.

That said, with close to 7000 members it is necessary to have a few guidelines, and that’s just what I have here – a few guidelines. Anyone who has been here for any length of time knows that it is very rare that I ever inject myself into a discussion here in an official capacity. I can’t remember the last time I banned a member. However, if I remind someone privately of the rules, then it is up to them whether they choose to accept that or to move on.

I will tell you that “sense of humor” had zero to do with my reminding you, privately by the way, of a couple of rules here -- about copyrights (which is addressed in a post clearly located at the top of every forum here) and asking you simply to move some of the off-topic stuff to the Pub. I know I’m getting on in years, but I’m fairly certain that I did not mention nor did I impugn your sense of humor in any way. The simple fact is, I had a number of complaints, not about sense of humor, but about loading up posts with all manner of images, many of which were clearly copyrighted and/or trademarked.
So, if you have a problem with being asked privately to comport with a couple of simple guidelines, then perhaps it is in both our best interests that you do move on.

Regards,
Basil

GB1
11-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Bas

I understand your concerns (dunno what had happened), and have respect for the Emperor.

Respect always is first, Mike stay in touch (you are a fellow LBC and it is in the blood),

Patrick

Keoke
11-10-2006, 09:45 PM
---Swift6 I think Tom suggesting we go back to using Smoke Signals--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

swift6
11-11-2006, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

---Swift6 I think Tom suggesting we go back to using Smoke Signals--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Need a new set of emoticons for that...

swift6
11-11-2006, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I will tell you that “sense of humor” had zero to do with my reminding you, privately by the way, of a couple of rules here -- about copyrights (which is addressed in a post clearly located at the top of every forum here)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now its clear... and understandable. Thanks for the clarification and reminder Basil.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

11-11-2006, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bas

I understand your concerns (dunno what had happened), and have respect for the Emperor.

Respect always is first, Mike stay in touch (you are a fellow LBC and it is in the blood),

Patrick

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah Ha! I believe I have Come up with a Compromise, but before I Disclose that Tidbit... I thought I would make some brief Comments first.

Basil, I'm glad you did make the effort to Post on this Thread your Thoughts & Reasons. I understand them all too clearly-- I only have 22 plus years of Large Scale Corporate IT experience... Yes, there has to be Rules & Background Security methods in place when you get over a Dozen users and you have to watch your Bandwidth ;-) Hopefully, the Constraints don't Over Shadow a Useful Experience.

With that Said & Understood... what Pinched me was the Tone in the Delivery. Sometimes we don't know as Administrators that Short & Terse communiqués can have a Negative Impact on the Very People we are Supporting... and Rub them the Wrong Way.

I have to Say that I really appreciate the camaraderie on this Board-- it is only 2nd to actually being at a Car Show! Especially, all the Support you have been Giving Tinster--- Keeping the Crypt Car one Step away from the Crusher!!! Having been to a Few Car Shows myself, I realize & respect the different Social Groups that Attend and Mingle together in their Individual Groups--- but when the Festivities begin-- we all Band to Together... I like that ;-)

Basil has just upgraded his servers and Pics are a huge Drain on Bandwidth availability; therefore, I believe that if I feel the Urge to Blow up some Pics.... I can make that Post on my Forum and Reference it in a Post Here--- Everybody Wins!

For Example (https://com4.runboard.com/bbritishmcce.f5.t7)

How 'Bout It???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
Cheers!
Mike

PS: Basil, I never did receive an Email regarding Supporting BCF by Placing Cards in with our Products before we Ship them. This was the same day I Paypal'd BCF, remember?

Banjo
11-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Kudos Mike. I think the pic issue was more with people on slow connections having to wait for a long time for the page to load, not so much the server. I've been on a cable connection so long I forget this and tend to get a bit "photo happy" myself (sorry to anyone I've annoyed with that)
I have to admit I've often passed by some of your posts cause a lot of the humor is lost to me, but that dosen't mean I want you to stop. From the responses, There's gotta be a few folks here that get the jokes (and thats all that matters) Maybe I'd pay more attention to them if they were in the "pub" though.. If I'm in the Marque specific forums, I tend to be focusing on technical stuff, and passing by general not-much-to-do-with-fixing-cars threads. that's what the Pub is for (granted we all get off topic at times in the car forums)
So please keep giving us links to the pics (excellent solution by the way) and sharing you sense of humor. I'll eventually get it...
Cheers.. Banjo

Basil
11-11-2006, 04:23 PM
First, I'm sorry if my PM sounded terse, it was not intended to be. I was just wanting to ask for your assistance with a couple of minor guidelines.

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, the Constraints don't Over Shadow a Useful Experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the concern, but it's a fact of life that one man's "useful experience" is not necessarily that for everyone. It is my experience that folks who frequent BCF tend to fall into two (maybe three) broad categories: there are those who see the forum as a social gathering place, where discussions can, and they feel should, be unrestricted; Then there are those who feel that the forum should be a place where they can come to discuss primarily the technical aspects of the hobby and those folks are put-off when they have to wade through lots of stuff that may be completely unrelated to the marque in a particular forum. Those opinions are just as legitimate as the former. The third category would be those folks who don't care one way or the other. So what I try to do is strike a balance. The marque-specific forums are not just for technical discussions, but they are, as a general rule, for discussing the Marque. I fully understand that some banter will always go on, even within threads that start out as a serious discussion but later devolve into general chit chat. As a rule, we don't try to over-moderate that and allow a certain amount of it to take place. On the other had, if a member wants to have a thread about growing Pumpkins, then it would probably be better to start that thread in the Pub. At one time I had considered breaking each forum into two parts - a technical forum and a general chit-chat forum for each marque, but the overwhelming majority of members did not like that idea - so the "<font color="blue">Pub</font>" was born. (and don't forget the humor forum as well). Does this balance suit everyone? No, but I don't think it would be possible to find a balance that would suit everyone in all cases.

[ QUOTE ]
Basil has just upgraded his servers and Pics are a huge Drain on Bandwidth availability; therefore, I believe that if I feel the Urge to Blow up some Pics.... I can make that Post on my Forum and Reference it in a Post Here--- Everybody Wins!

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue with pictures is only marginally related to bandwidth. As was pointed out by a fellow traveler here, some folks still use dial-up and a thread with lots of images actually being displayed (regardless of where they are hosted) can be a real nuisance (when I'm away on business for example, like I was for the past few days, I often use my back-up dialup account to access the forum).

However, the broader issue is one of copyrights. I know that everyone posts something here now and then that, if push came to shove, would probably be copyright, but I don’t go around inspecting every image that gets posted. That said, my request to folks to at least attempt to keep copyrighted material off the forum (regardless of where hosted) is based on a couple of things. First, I have actually been contacted (twice) in the past by owners of copyrighted material with threats of legal action if their stuff was not removed. Now, one could argue that if such a thing ever went to court there is a good chance that nothing would come of it. However, as it happens, I have a chronically ill son with pretty serious medical expenses, and so I’d rather not take the chance of ever getting drug into court because, win or loose, I could not afford it.

[ QUOTE ]
PS: Basil, I never did receive an Email regarding Supporting BCF by Placing Cards in with our Products before we Ship them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I don't recall seeing that. Not that you didn't sent it, but I just don't recall seeing it. I do recall the notification when you made the donation (thanks again), and I replied to that email. If you are interested in being a supporting vendor, click on the "Advertise on BCF" link that is in the main navigation menu for details how to do that. Being a supporting vendor will then allow you to discuss your business openly (mostly in the vendors forum) and even solicit business in that forum. It also gets you a banner ad that rotates and your banner gets added to the "Supporting Vendors" page indefinitely (even after your advertising subscription runs out). It’s just something to think about.

Regards,
Basil

kodanja
11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Well said Basil!

The bottom line is there's always going to be banter, But when a real problem comes up the experts always rise to the challenge.

I have yet to see ANY unsovled mechanical issue from my experience with this forum! These people have the most experienced I've seen on the web,

lets not over think it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

11-12-2006, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First, I'm sorry if my PM sounded terse, it was not intended to be. I was just wanting to ask for your assistance with a couple of minor guidelines.

Sorry, I don't recall seeing that. Not that you didn't sent it, but I just don't recall seeing it. I do recall the notification when you made the donation (thanks again), and I replied to that email. If you are interested in being a supporting vendor, click on the "Advertise on BCF" link that is in the main navigation menu for details how to do that. Being a supporting vendor will then allow you to discuss your business openly (mostly in the vendors forum) and even solicit business in that forum. It also gets you a banner ad that rotates and your banner gets added to the "Supporting Vendors" page indefinitely (even after your advertising subscription runs out). It&amp;#8217;s just something to think about.

Regards,
Basil

[/ QUOTE ]
Basil-- Most Excellent... Well Said &amp; Informative ;-)

On the issue of Supplying my Customers with BCF Cards: are these Available? If not, then I would be more than Happy to Insert another PIECE of PAPER in the form of a Flyer in our Packaging ;-)

As Far has BCF Advertising for AAW goes, we do pretty Good by Word of Mouth &amp; Car Shows. I try very hard to be seen on the BCF as a Contributor, not as an Advertisement ;-)

More than a Decade ago Dan Masters, my Father, began his Technical Involvement in all things British Powered that Roll on Four Wheels. During this Time, he has Amassed several Technical Articles that can be found all over the Net-- Google pretty much finds those. He has written a Electrical book, and he is about to come out with another book soon. Dad, started the practice of consolidating these Documents into One Location for Everybody to have Open Access: the BritishV8.org site.

He passed on the maintenance of the BritishV8.org site some years ago and we Keep these Documents and Updates on our AAW Sites... for Everybody to have Open Access when in Need. Folks, from all around the World download these Documents... and We are More than Happy to be Contributors to the Hobby!

Let's Keep on Breaking Down &amp; behaving like Fords--- Fix Or Repair Daily ;-)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Basil
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the issue of Supplying my Customers with BCF Cards: are these Available?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the "Spread The Word" link just under where the tire rack banners show up in the upper right part of the page. Or here is the direct link. (https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/cards.php)

Regards,
Basil