PDA

View Full Version : little pricey but nice'

kodanja
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
]https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130042821483 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130042821483[/url)[/url] https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/itlaia.jpg

Mickey Richaud
11-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Must be at least their third or fourth attempt to auction. Still, a lovely beast, that!

GB1
11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, I also recall seeing it before.

Patrick

martx-5
11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, this is our monthly dose of the Italia. Beautiful car, but obviously overpriced, as it would have sold by now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Tomster
11-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Looks a little "Tiger-ish" at first glance.
What a beauty!
Yowsers! on the $$'s.

bunzil
11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
A real beauty, but way overpriced. Would you rather have a 4 cyl Italia, or a cherry E-Type convertible for this kind of money...or even less?

Twosheds
11-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Looks like a baby Ferrari, but for that price, I would like a car that doesn't peg the temp gauge while being driven from the showroom to the lot for a photo shoot, as this one has. Price is high at any dealer with Motorcars in the name.

swift6
11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A real beauty, but way overpriced. Would you rather have a 4 cyl Italia, or a cherry E-Type convertible for this kind of money...or even less?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take the Italia, I love the body styling. But not at that price, I think they actually raised the price from the last time this car came up. Then again, I don't like E-Types. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif Never have. Don't believe I ever will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

hondo402000
11-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I like the wheels but I dont like the lines of the car

tomshobby
11-08-2006, 07:50 PM
"A combination of dependable and rugged British engineering with the beauty of Italian artistry."

But does the top come off?

jerrybny
11-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I love it. Oh say brother can you spare me a hundred k.

Andrew Mace
11-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Considering the TR4 that sold at auction for $97,000 or so early this year, the price on this Italia ain't bad 'tall! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CinneaghTR
11-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Since the consensus is that the asking price is unrealistic, what is a realistic ball-park price for a restored Italia, especially like the beautifuls ones seen at the VTR Conventions?

Oh, and since it is a Triumph, IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mickey Richaud
11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the consensus is that the asking price is unrealistic, what is a realistic ball-park price for a restored Italia, especially like the beautifuls ones seen at the VTR Conventions?

Oh, and since it is a Triumph, IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna go out on a limb here: Since this is such a rarity (unlike all the eBay "rare" cars), seems to me the price is whatever the market will bear. The Italia is one gorgeous car (at least to me), but it isn't very well-known. This one hasn't budged at $79k for several attempts now, and it will be interesting to see what does happen to it.

And to answer the question about an XKE or this one, I'd take this one, partly because of the looks, but also because of the numbers. But that's just my take.

Mickey

BritBox
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
To me, the Italia is both unique and beautiful. Although the eBay asking price is far higher than what I have ever seen or imagined for an Italia, the car is really and truly worth exactly what someone will pay for it. I don't think it's fair to compare it to a Jaguar even if the money is the same. The two cars did not really compete with each other when they were new, as far as overall performance or refinement.

If you buy the Italia, you will never drive it and pass one on the road. You will never see eight or ten of them lined up at a British car show. You will never find glass or body parts for it. It is simply a rare bit of beautiful automotive trivia, and historically relevant.

I think the question is, which $80,000 dollar car do you want to buy and put into a museum, because for that kind of money, I'd be afraid to driver either of them!

Regards,

swift6
11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will never find glass or body parts for it. It is simply a rare bit of beautiful automotive trivia, and historically relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, check out Revington TR (https://www.revingtontr.com). They are making entire bodies, windscreens and several other Italis components. It began with needing to make a windscreen for a customers Italia restoration and they figured out that they might as well make more stuff for it as well. Essentially, you can build a brand new reproduction 'Italia'. Check out their TRs as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BritBox
11-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Shawn,

I stand corrected! Thanks for the link. I haven't looked at Revington's site in a while--it's too much like torture.

Maybe I should buy a TR3 and build my own Italia. Shouldn't cost more than, say, $80,000. Heh.

Regards,

Andrew Mace
11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
For Italia owners, thank goodness for Neil Revington. Right from the very start of Italia production/sales, it was essentially made clear that body parts would NOT be available (obviously, most mechanical bits, being TR3, were not a problem). Of course, since the bodies really were handmade for the most part, even an "off the shelf" replacement body panel would likely be only a rough starting point for a repair!

Over the years since, until Neil got the idea for "new" Italias, it was solely the resourcefulness of Italia owners who might band together to have a run of 5 or so windshields made, etc., etc.

Possibly saddest of all is the fact that, over the years, a number of damaged but possibly restorable Italias were broken up so that others could be restored and kept on the road. That's a sad enough scenario with any beloved series-production car such as a TR3 or Spitfire, but especially sad with a run of only 320 or so cars in the case of the Italia! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

prb51
11-09-2006, 03:03 PM
It is beautiful and unique but I'd rather an XK 140 (cherry) for the money.
I'm sure the owner has that and more into the restoration and initial purchase but that's the nature of restoring unique 'lower end' cars. It is a special vehicle though just need to find the right buyer.

skikir
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
At first I thought it was a Coventry Coupe (volvo p1800)

prb51
11-09-2006, 08:33 PM
p.s. Revington of England now makes all of the Italia body work/panels for the 'do it yourselfer' that wants to covert a TR3.