PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Daytona Coupe replica............

Steve
11-05-2006, 11:54 AM
A friend of ours has one of these, which he is now thinking of selling. It only has about five hundred miles on it, and it's correct down to the smallest detail, racing slicks and all.... He has an obscene amount of money into it (I told him, buy a mint E-type which will only appreciate, but noooooo) and he realises that he will only get a fraction of what he put into it.

He has asked if I would help him in selling it, and I wondered if anyone had some suggestions as to how to go about it, in addition to the usual eBay and Craigslist, of course.

It could be used as a racecar, and in fact it really should be, the thing is too much of a weapon to be used on the street, even though it is registered and street-legal. It would be a great opportunity for someone. It is painted the lighter (correct) Nordic Blue, and has no decals on it.

So, would it appeal to a racer? How do I go about marketing the car to that group? Any suggestions?

rileyimp
11-05-2006, 03:40 PM
The big problem with a recreation is 9 times out of 10 they are not "exact" recreations. It would be tough to find a place to race it with any of the vintage groups. In order for a vintage group to certify it, the car would have to be "as raced" in total. Most of the Daytona coupes that are out there are made from fiberglass as opposed to aluminium for a start. The second thing that comes up is the chassis and suspension. Is it as it was on the "real" car??? An exact recreation would then have a 289 Ford with some Webers on top. I see a lot of "exact recreations" and have yet to see one other than the Duntov Corvette recreation that truely qualify. The boys over at Duntov went so far to recreate the exact under carriage parts as was on the original. Even though the FIA will now certify a few "recreations" you better not be able to tell them apart from the real thing.
The nice thing about te modern recreations of the Daytona is they can be driven on the street. What a fun cruise night car!!!
As chief of tech with a major vintage group a car like this will be a hard sell to a racer as it probably not pass tech. But as a driver, what a fun car.

aeronca65t
11-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I have a friend building one of these right now. It will be a street car (complete with A/C…these cars weren’t just “hot” in terms or performance). They look neat but I would honestly prefer a Cobra roadster…..or even my Miata (for street use, at least).

I agree that they are not a great investment…the E-type would have been much better. There are numerous $50,000-invested Cobra roadsters for sale for half their cost.

Certain clubs, like the VSCCA will not allow this car. But other clubs, like the two I am involved with (VRG and HRG), have a pretty laid back attitude and I’m pretty sure it could run in their events. Some SCCA regions also have a vintage class where the car might be useable.

I'd bet you could race it with these guys too:
https://www.mcscc.org/
I raced on the track with one this Summer. Passed him too! (when his clutch blew!).

E-bay comes to mind as a selling place. You might also have a look at the classified stuff here:

https://www.clubcobra.com/

and here:

https://www.svtcobraclub.com/mainpage.html

Steve
11-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks, good advice and a couple of good leads, I appreciate that.

Yes, I had told him that an E-type was more affordable and could only appreciate in value, but it's something that he had to get out of his system, I suppose, rather like the hot-rod that he had built for him previously. He had moved up north before the car was even completed, and up there there is nowhere to go with it, all you can do is blast around the roads, but there are too many blind bends, too many deer around, and no like-minded spirits around. Up there it's all snowmobiles........

JerryB
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
""""""and it's correct down to the smallest detail, """"""

What is the maker of the kit/body chassis.....??

the ERA (late 80's) is not even close...they did very few ( 4 , 5 ,6 cars/kits ??) bodies/chassis. There have been other posers, Factory Five among them........but very few makers and virtually no units. None are close copies.

Superformance is marketing a roller but is a redesign by Brock of the original ...close but not meant to be exact.

In about 1993, Roger McCluskey made a run of ten coupes that were real real close to the originals and as I remember maybe 8 were completed but as the price was about $200 K each, surely one of these did not fall into your friends hands.

clubcobra.com
cobraforum.com

either one might be a vehicle for sales.

Steve
11-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Jerry.......I have to do some more homework on this, but I know that this was built a couple of years ago, and was the first one produced by the builder.

I'll call him again this weekend, and get some more details, I'll have to make a trip up there to take photos, so I can take a lot of notes at the same time.