PDA

View Full Version : seat track roller o-rings

mgNOT
11-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I see where there is a supplier for the seat track roller o-rings for a TR6, but what purpose do they serve? Anti-rattle? Or, smoother operation?
-Dennis

Brosky
11-05-2006, 02:03 AM
I never heard of them. What is the site for them, or what exactly are they?

vettedog72
11-05-2006, 02:57 PM
If the o-rings are the 4/seat standoffs or spacers installed between the bottom of the seat rails and the carpet, carpet matting and floor, they are used to raise the seat enough to keep the seat from fouling on the carpet when the seat is adjusted.

Brosky
11-05-2006, 03:31 PM
That I knew very well, but I was thinking more along the lines of a rubber or plastic o-ring, from his description, which is what confused me.

mgNOT
11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
I wasn't clear, the rollers exist between the seat track rails, and if you separate the rails, the rollers between them hace o-rings on them. I was wondering if those o-rings had an obvious purpose.
Thanks,
Dennis

11-06-2006, 06:14 PM
When recarpeting my floorboards, I went with totally removable rear floor carpets. I bolted the seats to the floor with a 1/8" rubber strip under the steel runners and cut the carpet to slide in from the rear. I had a canvas shop sew in borders on the cut edges. Not original looking if you get down on all fours and check, but makes cleaning and drying the carpet a whiz. I can pop out all four sections of floor carpet (2 front, 2 rear) in 10 seconds or less. Takes 2 minutes to reinstall. Now water in the floorboards is not a problem. I have been known to drive in the rain with the top down.

I also have been known to run with scissors.

Bill

swift6
11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes, those O-rings you are referring to are supposed to smooth the glide of the runner. As you can probably tell. Most don't know what you are talking about. Because most don't tear their runners apart. Heck I haven't even done that on my own TR6. Other peoples yes, but not mine. If runners are very stiff to adjust then the o-rings can be a big part of that problem. Otherwise rust is the issue (mostly because the o-rings have already disappeared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Brosky
11-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I replaced my tracks (runners) this spring and the new aren't much easier to roll than the 32 year old units. Can these be lubed with any particular substance to help the sliding, or rather lack of it? They seemed to have a grease on them when I opened the plastic and I didn't want to stain the brand new carpeting.

11-06-2006, 07:04 PM
White lithium grease in a squeeze tube. Apply sparingly, won't break down and run. Stays put. Works good.

Bill

11-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Or KY Jelly, if you are worried about staining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill

Brosky
11-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Not that kind of staining, although.........hmmmm.....maybe not a bad idea. Oh yeah, the seat tracks, where were we?

11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not that kind of staining, although.........hmmmm.....maybe not a bad idea. Oh yeah, the seat tracks, where were we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if you have a blue dress, er, carpet......

Bubba is my hero.

Bill

Brosky
11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Bubba will be in RI late tonight to campaign for another doofus loser candidate, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who did a terrible job as a former state AG. But I digress, Bubba will have the crowds (women) swooning over him. I don't like his politics, but the man is smooth, I'll give him that. But God bless the poor bas---- when he has to go home. Ouch!!!

11-06-2006, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bubba will be in RI late tonight to campaign for another doofus loser candidate, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, who did a terrible job as a former state AG. But I digress, Bubba will have the crowds (women) swooning over him. I don't like his politics, but the man is smooth, I'll give him that. But God bless the poor bas---- when he has to go home. Ouch!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch is right, Paul. I am the consummate Liberal, therein lies our difference. I suppose we shouldn't discuss MGs, or politics, on this forum. Although I would love to. Politics, that is.
Cheers.

Bill (Clinton)

Brosky
11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I agree Bill. I didn't mean that as a political statement but more of a testament to how smooth he is as a speaker. I've seen him live and he is captivating to say the least. And no one works a crowd, face to face better than BC.

Politics are definitely off limits, and I suppose it would be a good idea to stay away from MG's as well. No sense screwing up a good thing.